Does anyone know

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #13106 by ronnie
Does anyone know was created by ronnie
anyone who has a stall at the Takapuna markets in Auckland?
or the Arts Centre market in Christchurch.

Just thinking out loud at present. Looking for avenues for selling slippers at markets. So looking for folk who may like to sell them on commission for us on a regular basis. Would probably best suit someone as an extra, rather than stand alone product.

We sell very successfully at the Queenstown market, but find it a bit hard to be in 2 (or 3, or 4) places at once:rolleyes: :cool:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #25290 by cranky
Replied by cranky on topic Does anyone know
Of someone that will deal with ducks? I am looking for some one in the Wellington region that will dispatch and dress some ducks for the freezer for me. We have got too many ducks and while I love seeing them free range around the property there is really only so much duck poo that I can take.

More
11 years 7 months ago #354512 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Does anyone know
Hi Cranky - failing anyone here knowing of a local private person that would do that for you, try contacting Stokes Valley Quality Meats and Smallgoods. I'm pretty sure they're still homekill processing butchers and they may be able to help. They don't actually do the homekill, but they have contacts who do that work in with them. Once that's done, the butchers would dress them for you.

I use someone in Levin so can't give you any advice on likely costs unfortunately.

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
11 years 7 months ago #354523 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Does anyone know
So you're not willing to do the job yourself Cranky? ;) We can manage about 6 chooks per day. Ducks take a bit longer to pluck, but they're easier to gut than roosters.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa
Herd of Registered Dexter cattle
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry and Sicilian Buttercup poultry
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Polled Wiltshire Sheep, both black and white
An old Heading Dog called Lad and a cat called Pusscat,

More
11 years 7 months ago #354644 by cranky
Replied by cranky on topic Does anyone know
Hi Mitch, I haven't heard very good things about the guy in Stokes Valley, but if you could give me the name of the guy in Levin I'd be happy to drop the ducks off to him.

Inger, It's not that I wouldn't be willing to give it a go as such :) , its just that having never done the deed or seen it being done, I'm not really sure how to do it :confused:. I've read and seen the pictures in the LSB mag, but reading about it isn't the same as actually doing it :D

More
11 years 7 months ago #354645 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Does anyone know
Find yourself the wife, or mother of a duck shooter. They will be well skilled in plucking and gutting ducks. We had to do it every season with either our mother or more likely grandmother, whilst the men folk were off having a drink after a hard day at the mai mai.

More
11 years 7 months ago #354647 by blimeyvicki
Replied by blimeyvicki on topic Does anyone know

cranky;344781 wrote: Hi Mitch, I haven't heard very good things about the guy in Stokes Valley, but if you could give me the name of the guy in Levin I'd be happy to drop the ducks off to him.

Inger, It's not that I wouldn't be willing to give it a go as such :) , its just that having never done the deed or seen it being done, I'm not really sure how to do it :confused:. I've read and seen the pictures in the LSB mag, but reading about it isn't the same as actually doing it :D

Have a look at a website called "the deliberate agrarian". Its an american site and he has a fantastic tutorial on plucking and dressing chooks. I had my Iphone with me and the site open in front of me with step by step photos - fantastic for a first timer. The next time I do it I will also use that site as I will be a second timer.........a year later! :)

More
11 years 7 months ago #354650 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Does anyone know
Perhaps the guy in Levin is Henry Poultry 06 368 6901?

He used to do some of our old hens and roosters!
If you were happy to come up to Levin I could always show you how, in person-not that I've done any ducks, except on a proper duck plucking machine, but no doubt a bit of detergent in the hot water would 'cut the oil'

Mind you I'm not into doing lots but could show you how to do one!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 7 months ago #354662 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Does anyone know
Hi Cranky - yes, speaking from experience I'm afraid I'm of a similar view to what you've heard in regards to meat, but it was someone local and figuring "what could go wrong with dressing ducks?" that's why I suggested them.

Sue, thanks heaps for the poultry man's number - it wasn't the butcher we use for our meat, but a really good contact to know all the same. You're such a wonderful wee goldmine for valuable info :)

We've always had brilliant service from Haddon at Preston Rural Meat Packers in Levin over the past few years and his number is 06-3683465, so that's another contact for Cranky to try. He uses a homekill operator called Roger, who is very efficient at dispatching animals, reasonably priced and also a nice chap.

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds