Advice from the Mum's out there?

More
15 years 11 months ago #202152 by Jan
Sunflower... you can borrow the book when ive finished if you like...I can post it on to you :)

Jan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #202166 by Sunflower
Oh darn...just put a bid on one on TM:rolleyes: Thanks for the offer, I will let you now if I get outbid :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?

More
15 years 11 months ago #202169 by Sunflower
By the way I only used plain ole nappies, there is a way to fold them ready to use, slightly different for boys and girls. I just used the fluffie pants over them. Worked a treat, helps if you have your baby in the summer months so they can get dry. I drive past one house on my way to KatiKati and the clothes line is full of nappies and it always make me smile. The different stages you go through with children. :D
I always think the biggest milestones are being able to put your own shoes on and toilet yourself. :D
Shall wait to see what the teenage years hold in store for me with three girls and one bathroom. :p

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?

• Jack
15 years 11 months ago #202180 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Advice from the Mum's out there?
Gidday

I am not a Mum either, surprise surprise.

But seein as Toni mentioned the parsley thing another thing came to mind. You may have to move, but if you really want a son then make sure you live on a good tarsealed road, and if you want a daughter, you want to be at the end of a long very rough metal/gravel road.

It was very well and truly proven in a district I used to live in. The only explanation anyone could think of was that the rough roads shook the nuts off the cars as well.

More
15 years 11 months ago #202185 by Louimay
Things I would highly recommend..[;)]

A rocker thingy (I think they are just called rockers but can be called bouncenettes sp?) ...a must have if you have a baby who wants to cry everytime you sit down for dinner. (can be rocked with foot whilst hands are busy eating)

A backpack. Used when baby a bit older but a godsend on a farm. Means baby can come with you to do the farm jobs and you still have both hands free.

A really good pushchair. I suggest one that looks like a mini 4x4 but with three wheels. Brands...Mountain Buggy or similar.

Good luck :D

More
15 years 11 months ago #202187 by Louimay
Oh and lots of those old cloth nappies. They are great for lying baby on when changing and for cleaning up spills and other "substances" that seem to appear when there are babies around. Also good to use as basinette sheets. There uses are almost endless[;)]

More
15 years 11 months ago #202188 by tonic
hi there,

the best book i found when i was pregnant was "oh baby" by kathy fray. she is a down to earth new zealand mum, and has lots of really good, tell it like it is information about pregnancy and the early months.

i use the reusable cloth nappies called fuzzy bunz (am i allowed to use real names here....[:I]) and i have found them great. i am not sure how bulky they are compared to the older types, but anything is bulkier than disposables.

i also use disposables for when i am taking longer car trips or will be busy out and about because they last longer between changes. this was not a problem with just one but now i have two in nappies and somehow i just can't remember to change them in time when i am running around....[:I] oh, also i have very wet babies so use a disposable on them at night as sometimes they would wake up soaking through they pjs early in the morning and i really do not need that!!![}:)]

all my reusable nappies came second hand from trade me and are still great. they are more expensive new than other brands and their second hand price is still higher than others but i believe this is due to their quality. i only buy cheap disposables (but good quality!) but even then i cringe each time i have to pay for them and am pleased they are only back ups.

More
15 years 11 months ago #202203 by Telly
The cloth nappies only seemed bulky when they were newborns but they soon seemed to grow into them. I used disposables at night and when I went out. My twins were so wet in the night I actually used a cloth nappie over a disposable! No more napies in this house, was such a good feeling when Mr 3 toilet trained himself - both night and day - a couple of months ago.

Goats: 4 boers + 4 kids (all does[:D]), 1 saanen + 2 kids, 1 toggenburg.
Chickens: Barred Rock, Light Sussex, Araucana, pekins
Pigs now in the freezer

More
15 years 11 months ago #202230 by gemini kiwi

Toni - Northland;175318 wrote: Does anyone live close to Angie that can give her a parsley plant. It has to be given by someone, not bought by the one wanting to get pregnant. I gave one to my neice and she had triplets.[:0][:0][:0] :D I don't think you want me to give you a parsley plant though.

TONI,.............. STEP AWAY FROM THE PLANT.[}:)]
GK

More
15 years 11 months ago #202235 by beedee
Angie, If you do decide to go flat naps as well as designer.. I can come teach you how to do the as they grow shapes.. from 4lb to 2yrs and they can still get their knees together.. Now I can dig a parsley plant from my neighbours and bring it to you, I must drive past your house daily!!!! we live on the same street. ;)
Im the opposite for housecleaning, had the place scrubbed every morning so that the clothes didnt get tooo grubby,maybe having twins brought that on, or the german sheps tail seemed to just spread the mud everywhere ... but now .. I dont know where it is, that floor has just disappeared from view, and I think the table has gone for a walk..
IF only these animals would behave for a week and allow me to find that machine

More
15 years 11 months ago #202274 by Seaside
Hi Angie

I have never used the modern cloth nappies, but I have heard good things about them.

There is a really excellent - and active - pregnancy and parenting forum that I was on for a year or two after the conception of my last baby, www.everybody.co.nz . There's a trying to conceive board, as well as Mums to Be for each month so you can chat with people in the same boat as you. And after that boards on Parenting under 5, Parenting over 5, and support boards for all sort of things, like parents of babies with reflux (yes, I had one of them, oh joy).

Must haves, I'd second the need for a bouncinett and a front pack. When you have a baby, one of the things you notice is that you spend a lot of time holding it! So anything that can keep your hands free for long enough to do the dishes or use the toilet is good.

From day 1, I'd recommend having one of those angle-shaped pillows to rest your baby on for breastfeeding. We also found a portacot invaluable when the babies were a bit older, not just to keep a mobile baby contained when visiting, but I quite often put the baby in there with some toys on the lawn when I had to garden.

Make sure you have baby panadol or nurofen ready because it's always the middle of the night when they get a fever! And one of those electronic ear thermometers - for some reasons babies won't hold the old mercury ones under their tongue for 5 minutes! Also have the number of the healthline (I think it took over the Plunketline) handy - they will tell you whether you need to rush to the doctor or whether it's something that can be treated at home.

And a rocking chair is worth its weight in gold - a nice gift for a grandparent to give and something you can keep for life.

One last bit of advice - go to the movies as often as you can NOW! It's been 3 years since I last went.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
15 years 11 months ago #202400 by max2
I second the rocking chair, but the padded soft variety even leather or imiation leather (easier to wipe) helps sothe both Parent and Bub esp in times of distress such as teething, immunisation, upset etc.

I also have a 3 wheeler push chair for E. Great stuff and goes anywhere (well did, E is 10 now so its done the rounds of the neighbours and now stored back home).

A well made kids backpack. Its easier to pop a toddler/older baby in a backpack than try and push anything around places such as fielddays. Whilst they are young one of those front sling things that leaves both hands free is excellent too.

Don't worry about buying a change table if budget is a problem. i just bought a change mattress which I would put on our bed to change E.

Try and buy a cot that converts into a small bed as Bub grows. E hated her cot with a vengance and she was in a bed by the time she was 9 months old.
We bought "side nets" for the bed and lowered it nearest to the floor as possible.

Queen size flannelette sheets can be cut down for cot sized sheets. Don't get caught up in the baby 'bargain" warehouse rubbish as its not that cheap compared to adult stuff.

Enlist people who will help you, as opposed to those who will "visit" you and expect cups of tea as they goo and gaa over bub when you should be sleeping.

I don't regret buying our baby room monitor. Its done the rounds of the neighbours too, and it frees you up to sit outside doing some gardening or simply getting some sun when Bub is asleep.

Be prepared with an emergency pack of disposables, regardless of what others might say. I tried the cloth nappies as well, still have them in my linen cupboard, but it wasn't a perfect solution or practical all the time.

If you are going to give breastfeeding a go, buy good quality breastfeeding pads, not the thinner cheaper variety. Have plenty on hand.

In the meanwhile, enjoy the practise! :D :D

More
15 years 11 months ago #202410 by Birman Babe
My preggie daughter is looking for a new car before bubs arrives & nothing shes liked so far has a boot big enough for the baby buggy shes already purchased :-)

More
15 years 11 months ago #202425 by max2

Birman Babe;175769 wrote: My preggie daughter is looking for a new car before bubs arrives & nothing shes liked so far has a boot big enough for the baby buggy shes already purchased :-)

BB I had a 5 door Nissan Pulsar Hatch when E was born, it fitted the 3 wheeler and shopping without a problem in the boot.

More
15 years 11 months ago #202434 by Sunflower
Alot of people on my road have twins, I could send you some water[}:)]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds