Advice from the Mum's out there?

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #13099 by Angie
Bored with puppies, lambs and calves, after looking through our pedigrees, and noting no obvious genetic disorders etc, we decided to have a go at breeding humans.

It's certainly trickier than getting another species in pup/calf and no pregnancy has been detected yet; but it's ok, it hasn't really been long enough yet to think about sending me to the works. :D

But anyway, organised, proactive (and jumping-the-gun) little me is putting together all the things I will need when the time comes, and I came across an ad for cloth nappies - not the old square ones that I'm familiar with, but properly shaped ones with inserts etc and they look really good. They're not overly expensive, but not that cheap either - so before I go off half-cocked and order 3 dozen, has anyone used them for their little ones? Were they any good?

Oh and if there were any other 'things' that you bought (beyond the obvious stuff) that you highly recommend, could you let me know?

Echo Ridge - Dexters, Sheepies and Labradors

"Don't wait for the light to appear at the end of the tunnel. Stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!" - Sarah Henderson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #201985 by beedee
While you are thinking and getting the recipe right, make sure those folate and vit b12 and other things are at the right balance...
Cant help with the modern nappy design, but have only heard good things, but dont know which brand is best, I know there are several out there.
cowvet might have tried them, but someone will surely be able to answer

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #201986 by Angie
Yeah, I've been taking Elevit for some time now. It's more expensive than shotgun cartridges so it must be good heheh

"Don't wait for the light to appear at the end of the tunnel. Stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!" - Sarah Henderson

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #201987 by Telly
I used the old kind of cloth nappies and downundies (waterproof things with velcro). I found this sytem good because I only needed 3 or 4 downundies and then had lots of the cloth nappies. I folded them into a pad (sort of sanitary pad shaped) and then the downundie held them on. When the boys were newborn, I folded the nappy so it had wing kind of things as well. If you end up deciding to use this kind of system I actually have 3 dozen cloth nappies in good condition that you could have. I found that my boys only had sore bottoms when we went away and they were in disposables for a week or two.

Goats: 4 boers + 4 kids (all does[:D]), 1 saanen + 2 kids, 1 toggenburg.
Chickens: Barred Rock, Light Sussex, Araucana, pekins
Pigs now in the freezer

• Toni - Northland
14 years 2 weeks ago #201988 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Advice from the Mum's out there?
Does anyone live close to Angie that can give her a parsley plant. It has to be given by someone, not bought by the one wanting to get pregnant. I gave one to my neice and she had triplets.[:0][:0][:0] :D I don't think you want me to give you a parsley plant though.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #201989 by terralee
Invest in a good quality pair of *earmuffs*[;)]
Good on you for going for clothe ... can't comment on the new ones as it was the old square ones in my time:rolleyes: but clothe has to be better :D (Except for going out etc)
Meantime ... enjoy the trying [:0][:I]....AND the peace:eek:
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #201996 by Sunflower
Buy a two seater car, buy nice furniture, and before ya know it[}:)][}:)]

The cloth nappies are great with washable velcro pants that go over top.
Don't get too many clothes, the stretch and grows are great. Make a heap of polar fleeces blankies, they are so handy for little or big upsets, they wash and dry in a flash. I wouldn't buy any bottles either, if you can breast feed for as long as possible it is much cheaper and no cleaning bottles.
Good luck, if you want to be put off I can send my childerbeasts for a weekend..lol[;)]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #202000 by oskatd
Angie, I used a heap of shaped cloth nappies for my young fella (well, he's 5 now) and they were great, some better than others. Good on ya for not just going with disposables. Oh, and good luck ;)

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #202002 by Angie
Polar fleece blankies are what we always stock up on when we have puppies! They're the best, but it didn't even occur to me to use them for humans. Thank you.

Yes please if anyone has any parsley they'd like to give to me - it's funny, I've just remembered that my grandmother gave a parsley plant to my mother a few years ago, and mum gave her 5 cents for it so she WOULDN'T get pregnant. So I'm keen to try this.

And thank you Telly for the offer of the nappies - but the reason I'm looking at the shaped ones is because the square ones have always looked so bulky to me. Are they really, or is this just my perception (being a non-mother)??

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #202007 by grannie Mary
the parsley does work but it is some chemical on the root.........try it yourself, dig up a plant & rub the root over your hand, youll still be able to smell it tomorrow

............Oh just a thought perhaps better to get the other half to do it

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #202010 by Birman Babe
I'm gonna be able to rub my daughters "baby belly" today :D coz they are coming down for lunch. Havent seen her for just over a month but hubby has & tells me she really popping out now. 4 months to go & then I get to meet my grandson [^]

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #202046 by Jan
sunflower...i so know where your coming from...hahah yes we bought a nice couch, dining table with material seats (bad move), lovely rimu coffe table and had a 2 door car. Now we have station wagon for kids and dog, couch that looks like its been dragged thru a hedge backward and a dining room set that the chairs look like some new artistic creation and a coffee table that well ..lets just say its a new look for coffee tables...called a la scratched look.

Pre-kids I used to wonder how people could have such messy cars and how could they forget simple things etc... well I dont think i have had a clean tidy car for more than a day and im always remembering things at the last minute ending up in mega rushing around... never a dull day

But this is a small price to pay for years of love laughter and i wouldnt be without my two mosters for all the tea in china

Im reading a book at the moment which is so funny, any mums can relate to this and mums to be...well at least you will have been forewarned. One of the top ten Sunday Times best seller.

"The Secret Life of a Slummy Mummy " by Fiona Neill

Jan

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #202051 by Kiwi303
If you get that 2 seater... make sure it's a classic and you get lots of parts. then once the baby is born, don't sell it, mothball it up in a dry garage till the tyke is gone. then enjoy your old age with a fun little classic car :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #202078 by Sunflower
Great advice here :D
I will look for that book Jan...sounds like me :p
I guess when kids come along, you either learn to live with chaos or ya go crazy...[}:)]
I don't wash the windows in the house, because I love the wildlife and I wouldn't want them to crash into my windows...[}:)]
Your toothbrush will be used for an emergency hairbrush for a doll in need.
You will clean the toliet only to have it look like half the country has used in 5 minutes later :p
You will get nits..[B)]
Your children will embrass you...the only bonus it that you get to embrass them later in life[}:)]
My eldest used to wear my underpants around her neck, great look for when surprise visitors come over[:0] I wish it was only one pair, but the little ratbag could fit almost 10 around her neck...
You can carbon date food behind the lounge....hmmmm that's lemon curd on that crust, we where eating that around 3 months ago:rolleyes:.
You learn not to sweat the small stuff..
And then you realise how selfish you where before you had kids. :)
And why everyone should embrace that before kids come along!
So Angie, go buy new clothes, new car and new furniture, and bingo :p

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #202087 by Pumpkingirl
I'm not a Mum, but my sister-in-law booked an overseas holiday for last year, to be taken in July this year... when she will be 8 months pregnant :D Oops!

She had a look at about three different kinds of cloth nappies, then brought a pair of each, then tried them out on a friend's baby, for ease of use, absorbency (she's very thorough!) and then worked out the cost etc.

Actually, I never did find out which one she chose eventually but I remember folding million of nappies for my Aunty when her children were babies, and these news ones are just so cool, no pins so no accidental stabbings[:0] either.

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds