A good result for once

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #12991 by Ghilly
Today we went into Pukekohe. We called in to see our friends who own Poco Loco and they had something to show us out the back. They'd found a gorgeous chocolate Lab pup, about 7 months old, running around all over the road on their way into work and had stopped and picked it up.
It was being tooted at by cars and was in serious danger of being run over.

It was registered so they had phoned animal control to see if they could get the owners phone number. Animal control said they would come and pick the dog up and hold it until the owners could be contacted on Monday. They didn't want the dog to be in doggy prison for the rest of the weekend so they said they would see what they could do. They phoned the vets and asked if anyone had reported a dog missing.

It was only an hour or so from opening so we said we'd take the dog to the vets and see if it was microchipped.
I noticed the dog and a saggy lower eye lid and pointed this out to the vet nurse while she scanned the dog. There was no sign of a microchip anywhere. Both nurses on duty searched their files to see if they could come up with any possibilities. It was like searching for a needle in a haystack and we'd all but given in when the vet appeared from one of the consulting rooms and spotted this young chap. We told him he'd been found running about all over the road and he stopped and had another look at the dogs face. "I know that face!, I operated on this dog not long ago!". While the vet nurses searched their files again for a lab that had been operated on for an turned in eyelid in the last seven weeks, the vet had another go with the scanner and found the chip on the dogs chest, even though the vet nurse had scanned him all over his upper body.

They punched in the number and bingo! They knew the dogs name and had his owners details. They phoned home but no one answered, probably out looking for their dog! They left a message on the mobile phone and took the dog out the back for a feed and a possible stay overnight until the owners could pick him up.

We went back to Poco Loco with the good news that the dog was to be reunitied with his owner. He was a beautiful dog, very friendly, full of energy and obviously well cared for. When the vet called his name, he never even twitched an ear, almost as though he didn't know his name.... so if his owner HAD been out calling for him, chances are the dog wouldn't have bothered answering by turning up.

I have no idea who his owners are but I knew there would probably be tears at home with him missing. Great Results! YAY!

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #200686 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic A good result for once
Awww thats great. Just love stories like that with happy endings.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #200697 by ame
Replied by ame on topic A good result for once
That's great, but why should it be law that *everybody* has to microchip their dog, and what's the point if the microchip cannot be easily found?

A

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #200700 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic A good result for once
If this dog hadn't been microchipped and we'd taken it to another vets, it would have spent the weekend in the pound and it's owners would have had to pay $300 to get it back. Animal control were quite willing to come out and pick it up but they wouldn't offer either the owners phone number or to phone the owners to let them know the dog had been found and where they could pick it up.
The dog was well cared for, had been neutered and had a registration. It was found along a road where cars were hooting at it and it didn't know which way to turn, was scared and didn't have a clue so our friends stopped and picked it up. They tried all the houses along the road but no one recognised it.
They thought about what they would like to be done if it was their dog and decided to do what they could.
As it was, it was a pretty close run thing that the vet appeared when he did.

The microchips have tiny holes in them which tissue is supposed to grow through to stop them moving but in some cases I guess the chip moves before it gets a chance to work.

My dog is chipped. I didn't have any doubts about getting her done. If for some reason she went missing or was found somewhere, at least I know she'd be identified.

I can understand why some people don't want to get their dogs chipped, especially in cases of working dogs etc so maybe making it law isn't the best option but for peace of mind for the owners, I don't understand what the fuss is about. Vets charge like wounded bulls for injecting a chip, the SPCA charges about $25. A hell of a lot cheaper than a couple of nights boarding at the pound.

The Anglo-Nubian Goat Breed Society have adopted microchipping the goats instead or as well as tattoos. The chip goes into the ear right up near the head, hopefully for less movement. The tattoos are very hard to read on dark skinned animals so it's going to be a lot easier for a clear identification to be made if necessary.

I think, in the case of the lost puppy, everyone involved in finding it, taking it to the vet and including the vet and vet nurses are all very pleased that he avoided going to the pound. He really was a sweet dog, a total goof but gorgeous.

Microchipping can bring peace of mind a lot faster.

Yakut

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #200717 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic A good result for once
That's so good of them Yakut. A friend of mine found a dog quivering in the middle of a main road, being passed by peak-hour, tooting traffic, so she stopped, opened her back door and said "get in" and this terrified, big dog did as it was told!

She came back to work where we mulled over what to do, as it was 4.59pm on a rainy night, with thunder and lightening and this dog obviously was terrified of it. He had a collar but you could see where he had ripped his chain off.

Knowing my local vet clinic is open until 7.30pm, I suggested she take it there. The nurse took one look at it and said "I think that's Mrs As dog" and sure enough, an hour later, Mrs A turned up to pick up her dog.

The only thing that I find a bit distasteful Mrs A had the opportunity to thank both my friend and the vet clinic, but did neither. Just walked in, got her dog and left. So bloody rude!

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #200718 by witheze
Replied by witheze on topic A good result for once
Up here the Dog Pound is not a reputable place . Not saying anymore....., any dogs I have found I have located the owner myself by advertising or rehomed.[ A couple or so at my place. :) ] Glad the owners were found Yakut.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds