Do you hold strong opinions about............

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #12969 by Rod Brown
David Bain, Peter Ellis, Chris Kahui, Macsyna King, Global Warming etc. etc.

Well my opinion is you can have an opinion on lots of things but to hold onto a "strong opinion" be unyielding and dogmatic is very wrong, you must remain open minded and flexible to evaluate other relevant information.

Be honest, none of us "really know" we only think we know by what we read, see or other people tell us and if that information is biased or incomplete you are in no position to evaluate the situation with any degree of certainty. Sometimes I just get a bit pissed off by people being very assertive and argumentative on some subjects when no way can they "know"

Did you sit through the complete trials of ................? and miss nothing probably not!

Green house gases ..........we have scientist against scientist with a lot of political intervention has anyone done their own research, probably not! maybe there will never be consensus of opinion. However I think these carbon credits and Kyoto Protocol are B...S... and any of these so called problems can be solved if we just take care of our own pollution and not be concerned about cows pooping in the paddock.

Just thought I'd say that, no global warming today a bit chilly outside thats why I'm here...........here endth the lesson!

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Toni - Northland
14 years 2 weeks ago #200350 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Do you hold strong opinions about............
Of course I hold strong opinions on many things, and on some I am NOT going to be flexible, others I could be, depends.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #200351 by PRU2
Hi Rod, yeah I feel pretty much the same as you about the carbon credits thing [:(!], They are words decribing what, you can't see them, you can't touch them, you can't smell them :(, but you can buy them :D . What are you actually buying, how I see it is if you don't have 100% co-operation from every quarter of the world how is the Kyoto thing ever going to work..............Properganda comes to mind, bit like global warming...........don't get me started on that [}:)] :D

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #200354 by LongRidge
I hold very strong views on those things, and even stronger ones about the poisoning we are getting from A1 beta casein milk - that is a real scandal. The strong view that I hold for all of these is that the PROOF is very, very scant and poor. Bad science.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #200457 by wino
I am very opinionated.

Actually the older I get the more opinionated I get.

I will reconsider in the light of other information though... (usually)

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

• maggies mum
14 years 2 weeks ago #200466 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Do you hold strong opinions about............
I dunno whether I am 'opinionated' but I have set ideals, and I get pretty shirty if I think people don't live up to them!

I think tolerance is the key, and I'm learning not to get caught up in some of the heated arguments on here! Although it is hard not to! ;)

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #200515 by max2
Frankly speaking (as I have had my chardy input for the night) I would rather meet/relax and discuss issues and ideas with someone with an opinion (or thought) rather than a namby pamby sort of see through noddy necked type.

I don't have to agree with them, but happy for someone to put up a thoughtful discussion against my point of view.... :)

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #200538 by Birman Babe
I have strong opinions on certain things but normally back down, rather than get into a full blow argument over things..I have so many other things to use up my energy on :-) and my energy level are pretty low these days...

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #200541 by [email protected]
I hold strong opinions about things but always accept that others will have come from a different direction and hold different but equally strong opinions- as someone has stated in some things you can never know you are right 100% you just believe yourself to be. One of lifes delights is a really good debate with someone as long as you both have acceptance that the other has a right to their views- unfortunately most seem to take things very personally and debate is pointless which is a great pity.

4 acres with Garage/sleepout, a pond with ducks and frogs, lots of trees ready to burst into life in spring and lots of garden beds.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #200554 by max2

[email protected];173674 wrote: I. One of lifes delights is a really good debate with someone as long as you both have acceptance that the other has a right to their views- unfortunately most seem to take things very personally and debate is pointless which is a great pity.

I think that is the crux of why so many people avoid any sort of discussion these days and prefer to talk of money and debt instead, because people can and do make it personal and unable to laugh off their differences.

One of our mates is a Professor in the health system, every month we see him at least twice where he brings his bottle of red and I grab my bottle of white and we sit around solving the world's problems.

However because his experiences are based via public system and ours are private, we come up against each other in many ideas and solutions.

However its a good night and we always finish off with a laugh and he always sees us again the following fortnight or so. Its nice to have someone like that in our life who isn't a "mirror" of ourselves. :) [8D]

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #200706 by Angie
I have very strong opinions about things too. I do love a good debate too, but try to stick with topics I actually *know* something about these days. As I've got older, I recognise that the media is often biased and is telling me what it wants me to think - e.g a major NZ newspaper seems to be extremely anti-Labour and from time to time, dedicates the entire front page to slagging them off.

I don't want to know how much this newspaper hates Labour. I already have my OWN opinion about which party I support. I want to know the facts of the new bill/law and I'm sick of reading through screeds of 'opinion' to get to those facts.

With the recent events in NZ - yes I do "think" certain people are guilty and others are not; again, it's purely from what I've seen and read - and this often cannot be relied upon.

We have an elderly aunt who is positive that "Macsyna did it." Hubby asked what she based that opinion on. Aunt replied "She has that look about her." Hubby said he hopes he never gets tried for something with Aunt on the jury, she'd have half the population locked up on bread and water for "looking" guilty if she had her way.

Echo Ridge - Dexters, Sheepies and Labradors

"Don't wait for the light to appear at the end of the tunnel. Stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!" - Sarah Henderson

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds