Hands up all us girls that..........

More
14 years 8 months ago #1288 by spoook
.... have had a mammogramm within the last two years.
I can't see too many hands, can I???
Do you realise that it happens to one in nine women? ... and we here are alot more than nine women.

Before you guys close this thread, realise this, you can get it too.
As can your wife, sister, mother, daughter, cousin, aunty or any female you see.

These days there is no excuse for breast cancer to kill. It can be detected so early, well before you could ever detect a mass or lump in your (regular[:I]) breast check.
I won't go into the risk factors, we are all internet savvy enough to look up the facts ourselves. When I looked into it I was amazed some of the things that get the "blame".

For alot of us here, the breast screen will be free. Once you hit 45, it is not only the best time of your life but it cost you nothing to potentially save your life. Now that is an awesome deal we should all take up on.
Not having time is a pathetic excuse, the alternative could cost you far more that you could ever afford. It is not painful and the staff are always very understanding and gentle. It is not an easy thing to have done but the alternative can be worse.
"Cancer" is a scary word, mainly because we do not understand the "whys" or "hows".
"Mammogramm" is far easier word and a simple procedure to understand.

A friend of mine lost his mother to breast cancer, I personally knew her too. She was an "outdoorsy type" (much like most of us here :D), never sick, always working, always helping others in any way she could.
She went to hospital for a breast reduction operation, they found a mass and she came out with none at all.... and struggled on for along time before she finally gave up.
She had never had a mammogramm.
She probably felt like most of us, it will not happen to me.
Her funeral was very sad, attended by many, many people she had touched.

Friday October 12th is the Pink Ribbon street appeal, I hope you will support generously, any collector you come across. They may be doing it for a personal reason, you brushing them off with a shrug or "No thanks" could be adding to their feeling of futility.

I know where I will be tomorrow, sitting in the office of a top breast surgeon discussing my operation to remove a cancer about the size of a large pea.

There, I have told you all [:0] now please tell me that you have, or will make, an appontment for a mammogramm.
You are all part of a family, will they miss you if you find out too late?

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #57888 by Midge
Ohh no Spook! what can I say[?] I'm so, so sorry to hear this:(
Know that I will be there with you in spirit tomorrow:)
Hugs my friend((( )))
Cheers:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Cheers[:)]
www.jerseycows.co.nz

More
14 years 8 months ago #57891 by spoook
Thanks Midge [:X] must have been all your yummy bacon ;)
So.... got the number for your local screening clinic handy?

More
14 years 8 months ago #57897 by ronnie
Oh Spoook, sorry to hear that. As one who has had lumps poked, prodded and removed since the age of 20, I am well aware of the value of mammograms and have one every 2 years.

Good luck for today - thinking of you.

cheers
Jan

More
14 years 8 months ago #57899 by reggit
Sorry to hear that Spoook [V] a timely reminder as for my 40th birthday my doctor gave me a referral to get a mammogram and I still haven't done it, apparently free from 45 but she says that if you have medical insurance to cover it you should be getting them from age 40 onwards...

Can I ask...did your lump get picked up by mammogram or other?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 8 months ago #57904 by kate
So sorry Spoook...I'll be thinking of you today...

I have regular mammograms as my mother has had breast cancer. They're not fun but they're not too bad either. Mammograms are free from 45 until 64, my mother's lump was found on what would have been her last mammogram. She almost didn't bother going :( Luckily she did :D

I know many women who have recovered completely from breast cancer but it really helps if the lump is found when it is small. Mammograms are the best way to check so I agree with Spoook that we should all have them. Go book one if you haven't had one recently.

Web Goddess

• maggies mum
14 years 8 months ago #57906 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Hands up all us girls that..........
Bloody hell spoook! Thank you for sharing. Good luck tomorrow.
You may have just given me a cyber kick up the ass to go and get a very overdue smear done. Then I shall ask about a mammogram.

• chooky
14 years 8 months ago #57918 by chooky
Replied by chooky on topic Hands up all us girls that..........
Well Done Spoook for reminding us all about the importance of regular tests. I lost a very close friend to breast cancer - she was only 46 :(. I also have been down the ' find a lump ' scenario - not nice . I think the shock takes a few years off your life. Luckily mine was benign and we were in a position to be able to have it removed on the day it was found . I am due soon for my next mammogram - yes it is a bit uncomfortable but worth a few minutes of discomfort compared to the alternative of cancer.
go for it girls

More
14 years 8 months ago #57919 by Midge
Can't get you out of my thoughts Spook - your news has taken the wind out of my sails.

Yes, I do have regular mammograms, but I think maybe we should get a North Island technician to do them. The two that I've had have hurt like hell[:0] But, I have a couple of girlfriends who are living proof that the benefits far outweigh the few minutes of pain.

Hugs((( )))
Cheers:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Cheers[:)]
www.jerseycows.co.nz

More
14 years 8 months ago #57924 by The Kats Place
Mammograms these days are not as painfull and embarassing as they used to be. (I can think of an equivalent that men should have[}:)])
I have them yearly because of previous medical history and each time is less uncomfortable that the last.
Good luck today Spoook. You can beet this no worries. My thoughts with you today.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 8 months ago #57940 by spoook
Tigger, the lump could not have been detected by palpation, either by myself or a doctor. Without the mammogramm I would not know it is there.

I thought long and hard about posting on here but thought my "coming out" might also save someones life IF they go for a mammogramm.
At the stage mine is, I only need an operation to remove it. Later on I would have to have collected tissues like I used to in school before I "blossomed". [:I]

So when is your appointment???? Maybe as a belated birthday present hubby will pay for it. Believe me, from this side of the fence, it would be an investment.

More
14 years 8 months ago #57950 by beedee
Spoook Im very proud of you, its very hard to "come out" when you are under so much stress..
BUT we all know its going to go well, and will fade into the history books, and the only memory in a few years time will be that your kidding days are over for 2007[:X];)
BTW free mammos are now up to the age of 70.
AND yes they shouldnt hurt, a good techno means discomfort only.

More
14 years 8 months ago #57951 by Gracelands
Oh, Spoook, that is truely upsetting news. Know that many of us here will be thinking of you, and sending every blessing and positive thought we can to you today, and until you get your 'All Clear' in a few months time.[:X]:D

I turned 45 in January, my GP signed me up in March, and I had my first mammogram in June. It was nowhere near as unpleasant or painful as I was expecting from all the 'talk' out there. More uncomfortable than painful.

SO GET OUT THERE AND GET ONE DONE, IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY!!!

(Sorry for shouting, Kate)

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
14 years 8 months ago #57954 by Dream Weaver
Spoook, thank you for sharing. Hugs and we will all be with you in spirit today. I had my first mamogram 2 years ago and must go and have another. There is so much cancer around these days its scarey. Reading a post like yours motivates us to make an appointment and stop stalling and putting it off. Be Strong mate we are all with you.

More
14 years 8 months ago #57955 by spoook
I'm sitting here with tears on my eyes (PG, this is normally your fault) at your words. Not because of my situation, I am being phylosphical
It was not easy for me to "bare all", but the more it is brought home that it can happen to you, the earlier any problems can be detected the better your chances are.

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds