Internet Explorer malfunction?

More
14 years 1 month ago #12830 by Pumpkingirl
Hoping someone can help me.. on the odd day (like today!) the icons beside the links on my Links toolbarbar in Internet Explorer change.

For example, the link buttons for "Your Place" and "OT" have little pictures beside them that I know are actually the logo for the "Stuff" website. The NZ Herald website link logo has disappeared to be replaced by what looks like red flames.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern - sometimes some are affected, sometimes none.

What could be doing this? It's my new computer, with Vista, and with a full Norton virus/firewall etc etc in place. I am on high-speed broadband so I'm just worried I've "caught" something from somewhere but Norton hasn't picked it up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #198108 by Gracelands

Pumpkingirl;171036 wrote: What could be doing this? It's my new computer, with Vista

I think you've just answered your own question there. [}:)]

Sorry, no actual helpful advice here...

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
14 years 1 month ago #198110 by wyseyes
These icons are called Favicons. They are added to websites by the designer, to make tabs, links and pages quickly identifiable. Kate inserted the LSB one into the site after I bugged her repeatedly, and copied and hacked the LSB logo into a suitable favicon.

The moving around of these is just explorer getting confused. I would blame Microsoft, however it happens in other browsers too.
The simple way to fix it is to clear the cache and temp files.

In Explorer, goto Tools, then Options.
In the General tab, under Browsing History, hit Delete...
Then delete the Temporary Internet Files, and Delete the Cookies.
Restart Internet Explorer.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 1 month ago #198119 by GrantK

wyseyes;171039 wrote: The moving around of these is just explorer getting confused. I would blame Microsoft, however it happens in other browsers too.

Ah, that's interesting, I always assumed it was an IE Feature [xx(]

I like having the Favicons displayed as it makes my Links toolbar easier to navigate.

Those icons all disappear after IE crashes, which happens every so often [:(!]

The way I get them back again is as follows:

- Click each icon on the Links toolbar in turn
- Wait until the respective web site loads
- Exit IE
- Open IE again

Voila, all your Favicons will be restored :cool:

Wyseyes has suggested a simpler way, but in my experience it takes quite some time for IE to clear its cache and I would rather not lose all my Cookies and Browsing History [^]

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 1 month ago #198123 by Pumpkingirl
Thank you both!

I tried Grant's way first - I'm a simple girl - and voila! Not only did the first link favicon correct itself, all the others did too.

Sheesh, can't these things make up their minds!!!!

And I know everyone hates Vista but, quietly, after I figured out how to turn off the stupid reminder notices, it's actually been totally hassle-free.

Then again, I'm simple in my requirements, so perhaps I'm not doing fancy things that pain others using Vista.

More
14 years 1 month ago #198145 by wyseyes

GrantK;171048 wrote:
Wyseyes has suggested a simpler way, but in my experience it takes quite some time for IE to clear its cache and I would rather not lose all my Cookies and Browsing History [^]

Ah, now IE7 gives you the ability to select what you want to clean out.
The cookies and history stay, but the cache and temp files get trashed.

Not that I use IE :p

Firefox is the main beast :D , although I have been trying Safari on the PC lately, it seems to be fairly polished :cool:.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds