More computer questions....

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #12826 by oskatd
OK, since getting the new hard drive a couple of things are missing that i'd like back. So can someone tell me how to:
1. Get spell check back in my emails in outlook express? The icon is there, but it's not available.
2. Get the little icons for internet and email back in the bottom left side of the screen next to the start button, oh and the button to bring up the desk top.
3. Can anyone tell me why I can't open .gif attachments? Do I need a certain program to do that?

Many thanks.[;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #198067 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic More computer questions....

oskatd;170990 wrote: 1. Get spell check back in my emails in outlook express? The icon is there, but it's not available.

There is a whole lot of info. here concerning this problem:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/spellcheck.htm

Having battled with this problem myself in the past, I can tell you that it's not easy to fix. Good Luck :confused:

oskatd;170990 wrote: 2. Get the little icons for internet and email back in the bottom left side of the screen next to the start button, oh and the button to bring up the desk top.

You need to re-enable the Quick Launch tool bar. Right-click on an empty area of the toolbar and then select the Toolbars option.

oskatd;170990 wrote: 3. Can anyone tell me why I can't open .gif attachments? Do I need a certain program to do that?

The Windows Windows Picture and Fax Viewer utility should do that for you. Open an Explorer Window, then choose Tools then Folder Options then File Types. Go down in the list to GIF and select Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #198073 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic More computer questions....
Grant, you are a gem, will battle my way through all that info now. thanks heaps!!!

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #198076 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic More computer questions....
right, got me little icons back, but can't find anything in the tools that relates to folder options, all seems to be phishing protection and the like.... have also just discovered that with IE7 you can have lots of internet tabs open with different sites - god I'm so fast!!!!

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #198104 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic More computer questions....
Here is an easy way.
First, what program do you want to open the Gif with? Grant suggested the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, unless you wanted another?

Find the file you want to open, fight click and chose 'open with', then in the little list that pops up, select 'Choose Program..."

You'll get a little window where you select the program (as above), then also tick tue box which says "Always use the selected program..."

Then those files should always open with that program.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #198118 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic More computer questions....

oskatd;171003 wrote: ...can't find anything in the tools that relates to folder options...

Sorry, I should have said Windows Explorer, I didn't mean Internet Explorer.

Anyway, Wyseyes has suggested an easier way :)

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #198248 by AdoubleJ
More help please!!! Have had to buy a new mouse - just got a cheap one....but I can't get it to work!!! Whne I go and check through Control Panel it says it is all OK but it won't work. The Light is on on it. I hate using the little pad on my lap top - it's tooooo sensitive!

AdoubleJ

12 dogs, 6 cats, 1 x Hereford cross /Cassie/Casserole, 7 girlie sheep and of course Rambo and IggyPop! and chooks!

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #198261 by ame
Replied by ame on topic More computer questions....
Why not turn down the sensitivity of the TouchPad?

Can think of many reasons why the mouse won't work, but I suggest you plug it into another machine to eliminate the obvious explanation that it's actually borken.

A

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #198263 by AdoubleJ

ame;171199 wrote: Why not turn down the sensitivity of the TouchPad?

Can think of many reasons why the mouse won't work, but I suggest you plug it into another machine to eliminate the obvious explanation that it's actually borken.

A

Mmmmmmmm- HOW? :o

AdoubleJ

12 dogs, 6 cats, 1 x Hereford cross /Cassie/Casserole, 7 girlie sheep and of course Rambo and IggyPop! and chooks!

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #198269 by ame
Replied by ame on topic More computer questions....
Mmm... by going to the control panel, select mouse, and then Device Settings and adjust it there.

Actually, there might be a TouchPad icon in the bottom right corner of your screen. Right-click on it and select "Pointing Device Properties".

Of course, this presupposes that you have the driver for your TouchPad loaded. If you don't, the TouchPad will just appear like a normal mouse, and will be, for the most part, wretched.

If you don't have a driver then please read on...

There are about 3 suppliers of TouchPads in the world. The best is a Synaptics TouchPad, and if you are lucky you will have one of these. If not, then you will have to find out whose pad you have and find the appropriate driver.

At Synaptics' website ( www.synaptics.com ) you can find the driver, and a utility program which will tell you if you actually do have a Synaptics TouchPad. Other manufacturers should have the same facilities.

Have fun.

A

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #198272 by wyseyes
Somewhere in the Control Panel, under Mouse, there is a sliding bar which adjusts your Pointer Speed. This will reduce the sensitivity if you move it towards 'slow'.

That mouse, does it work on other computers? Maybe it's a dud.
Or maybe there is a setting in the computer which says to only use one thing at a time (ie the touchpad). Try restarting with the mouse attached, does it work?
DId you install the drivers with the mouse?

Is it recognised in the Hardware list (yes, I know you don't know where that is, I want you to check the other options first).

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #198280 by AdoubleJ
It is a new mouse - the old one I think, must have had broken connections - it just stopped working last night. Have no other computer to try it out on. Have gone into Hardware and it says
Device Status: This device is working correctly

I have turned it all off and restarted with the mouse conected.
Nothing came with it - jsut the mouse in the box!

AdoubleJ

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #198291 by wyseyes
OK, in Hardware, how many items under Mice and Other Pointing Devices?

That item plugged into the PS/2 port, what is the Manufacturer?

What is the make and model of that laptop?

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #198554 by AdoubleJ
Well- I was really smart and 'Googled' - managed to uninstall old mouse and reinstall drive for new mouse! Thought I was really clever.... :D :D
turned everything off and plugged mouse in then restarted computer..
YAY - a working mouse!!! for all of 3 minutes.. :( . It just froze so I unplugged the bl..dy thing [:(!].
Son is supposed to be coming back from Aussie this week and we will be going up to Auckland to try and help finish off kitchen. He is in IT so I will get him to get me a good mouse and install it for me - just soooo frustrating.....

AdoubleJ

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #198571 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic More computer questions....
Hey guys - going back to oskadt's spellcheck problem, I googled, asuming she is on Vista (but it may not matter) " Vista+outlook express+spell check" and it came up with an explantion for why it would not be working and a link to a free small program available through Majorgeeks.com. Are you interested in having a look at it as a possible fix... and question... are majorgeeks a reputable site to download from. I thought they were but haven't used them myself. My AVG 8 programs tells me it is safe to go into their site.

Questiomn

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds