Getting a mobile phone to talk to my Mac

More
15 years 9 months ago #12789 by Prim
Have:

* A Samsung SCH-W531 mobile phone; and
* Mac computer

Wanting:
* Mac to talk to phone so that I can transfer some music files to phone

Anyone help me? Please? I have the data cable, but when I plug it all in the computer doesn't seem to realise the phone is there. In the manual etc it only talks of a 'PC'. Is that because it has to be a PC rather than a Mac?

TIA [:I]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #197474 by GrantK
In theory it should work whether you use a PC or a Mac because the interface is USB which is supported on either platform.

However, Samsung may have done something tricky which needs their own driver software to be installed. I suggest you have a look on their web site to see if any drivers are available for the Mac environment.

I take it that you have already looked on the CDs which came with the phone?

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
15 years 9 months ago #197475 by Prim
Huh?

Um, I'll check the box, but I don't think there was a CD with it.

:/

More
15 years 9 months ago #197521 by GrantK

Prim;170348 wrote: Um, I'll check the box, but I don't think there was a CD with it.

That's strange because every Mobile Phone I have owned in recent years has come with a CD.

If there wasn't any CD, then you will need to look on Samsung's web site for the drivers, assuming they exist :confused:

More
15 years 9 months ago #197605 by Prim
Thanks Grant.

No, no CD. Checked and checked and checked Samsung's web site. Can't find a driver (but will keep looking). And, will have another poke around tonight.

Regardless, I think I've found a work-around. Coincidentally someone else I know has purchased one recently so I'll put my music onto a CD and they can then put it on to the phone for me (working on a PC). Only holds 10-15 songs, so no biggie.

But what a PITA! Pht.

More
15 years 9 months ago #197652 by FencerMan
Grant, usually with an mp3 device you just plug the USB cable into the comp, and a little thing comes up at the bottom right saying new device detected, then you open a window in which you simply copy and drag your music files into, and all done....

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
15 years 9 months ago #197667 by GrantK

FencerMan;170536 wrote: Grant, usually with an mp3 device you just plug the USB cable into the comp, and a little thing comes up at the bottom right saying new device detected, then you open a window in which you simply copy and drag your music files into, and all done....

Yes, exactly FM. That's how it ought to be.

The phone should appear as a Mass Storage Device in the same way as a USB Flash Drive and away you go...

In this case it doesn't though which leads me to suspect either:

- Samsung have done something unusual which needs a special driver
- Prim has a phone with a faulty USB port

Either outcome is a problem, but let's hope it's the first one so that her friend who has a PC can load up the music files for her :)

More
15 years 9 months ago #197694 by ame
Ever heard of Google?

Search for "SCH-W531 mac"

First hit:
www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=39&TopicId=14974

Second hit:
www.zedkep.com/blog/index.php?/archives/...ng-with-Telecom.html

Sounds like the phone sucks rocks, and support on a Mac is feeble to non-existent. Might be a good starting point to kick off further investigations.

Sorry.

A

More
15 years 9 months ago #197748 by Prim
Ouch, Ame. This time I'm on the end of a blunt email from you.

Yes, heard of google, and neither of the two hits help. Both have to do with photos and moving them from the phone to the Mac, and in fact the first one has to do with bluetooth. I read both of them prior to posting this request for help.

In fact, I've emailed the guy who wrote the blog referred to in your second hit and this is what he has to say:

"Ohhh, shit. This. See, I had it running OK when my better half was running a PC, but then went and bought her a Mac (we moved the whole family to Macs) and now it doesn't want to play. If you plug it in with "PC connect" switched on, you can see it under the system profiler as being a "Qualcomm USB mass storage" device or something, but I never managed to find a driver.

So, at some point she'll get even more pissed off that she can't get pictures back off it and I'll be forced into action. When that happens I'll get back to you. It may involve VMWare of some similar crap though. Oh, god, I hope not.

'I just want to transfer from music files over from my Mac to the phone.'

Plenty of that pain over here. Let me know if you find a solution....

Cheers,
Dave"

So, I'm not completely incapable of helping myself, which is kinda why I posted here - I thought perhaps Grant or wyseyes or yourself might have had some really on-to-it helpful advice and a secret stash of downloads I could search through. Alas.

And I agree, the thing sucks rocks. Unfortunately it was something someone did for me, and whilst I personally have a Vodafone phone it's an older one and won't work in the US. {sigh} I have young children and just want to be able to txt them (and they txt me) whilst I'm away. So, no further investigations needed really - this pile of puss phone will be sold on TradeMe in three weeks when I'm back home. The thing only holds 10-15 songs anyway, so it was a folie that I thought I might pursue to amuse myself for an hour whilst sitting in an airport somewhere.

More than you ever needed to know!

More
15 years 9 months ago #197821 by ame
Well, I'm glad you're awake. Unfortunately the intersection of the set of Mac users with the set of SCH-W531 owners who read this site is likely to be very small. You would be better off searching the internet at large. One of the best sites for this sort of thing is Howard Forums, but I couldn't find a reference to that model number there.

*If* you can make the phone appear to the computer as a Mass Storage Device then you don't need any software. The driver for this kind of device is generally present in all modern OSes (it's the same driver that makes USB sticks appear as drives when you plug them in).

Anyway, ask yourself this question "What is the difference between a photo and an MP3?". The answer is nothing- they are just blocks of data. So, if you can move photo files around then you can move MP3s.

It's not quite that simple however. I too have a Samsung phone (a different model to yours). It is very sleek and thin and it has a web browser etc. It was "free" with the phone service I have, and worth every penny. I have been through this cycle of frustration once already. First, if you plug it into USB you need a driver because the device does not appear as a Mass Storage Device. It *does* appear as a Modem device (and again, drivers for this are built-in to the OS), but it would be very expensive to actually use it. There was a driver disk with the phone, but it's Windows only, and it is for accessing the address book and email on the phone. Frustrated, I bought a Bluetooth dongle and plugged it in. In this mode, the phone *does* appear as a remote filesystem, along with other Bluetooth supported interfaces. I can drag and drop files between my local hard drive and the Bluetooth-connected phone (I can't access the address book or emails though).

But...

The phone won't play MP3. Believe it or not, the single most popular audio compression format in the entire world is not supported by this phone. So, to listen to any song I have to convert it first to AAC, which sucks mightily. Fortunately it has a very limited amount of memory, which is not expandable, so I don't have to convert too many songs to fill it.

Oh, and once you have converted a file and transferred it it will play fine in the media player app, but it cannot be used as a ringtone or an alarm sound.

So, I hope you will forgive my brusque tone, since I am very annoyed that this sort of thing happens. The reason behind it is vendor lock-in. The manufacturer or service provider goes out of their way to make it difficult for you to do what you want, probably so they can charge you for the privilege of using your own hardware.

In my case, I am a geek, so I can figure most of this stuff out, but it doesn't help you, and really, it just irritates me. The phone can be used for (gasp!) talking, and texting, and in fact, talking and texting my wife (who has the same phone on the same plan) is free. It is sad that I cannot bend the phone to my will, but at the end of August I'll biff it anyway.

I guess the moral of this story is TANSTAAFL.

To sum up:
If you can move photo files (by USB or Bluetooth, or something else) then you can move music files the same way.
MP3 may not be supported anyway.
The phone was free, but it's not free.

A

• maggies mum
15 years 9 months ago #197830 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Getting a mobile phone to talk to my Mac
Bring back the polaroid and ghetto blasters! ;) They were easy!

More
15 years 9 months ago #197898 by Prim
Thanks, Ame

A geek friend once called me a closet geek - I'm working up to being a fully-fledged geek. So, I do have moments of having lots of doh questions. Unfortunately.

I can't get the stoopid bl**dy thing to even appear on my computer and that's fine. I've given up. Don't care. Like you say I can talk on it {gasp} and I can txt on it {double gasp} and that's fine. Geesh, I can even receive txts. Woah. Woteva.

Could be the USB cable. Hmmm. Don't care any more.

And no, there is no such thing as a free lunch. We expect so much of some things nowadays. It also annoys me no end when things that ought to be easy aren't.

By the way, what are your feelings about the iPhone? I'm tempted to buy one (so much cheaper in the US) and unlocking it once I get home. I might check out and see if they have the 2nd generation available at the moment. Hmmm, not sure if it's been released yet. Will have to check. Have you heard or read about anything that concerns you with them? Yes, closet-geek looking for real geek advice [:I]

More
15 years 9 months ago #197907 by ame
Regarding the iPhone, if you want one, buy one. Don't be surprised if you brick it by trying to unlock it, and if you sign up for iTunes do look into the DRM that restricts what you can do with the software and hardware that *you* paid for with *your money*.

Interestingly, I found a fair and balanced news portal about the iPhone here:

www.iphonesavior.com/cult_of_ipod/index.html

:)

A

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds