Great Kiwi flight to Australia continues...

More
14 years 2 months ago #196458 by max2
Tigger is right, Customs in Aussie take their job very seriously. SOH a couple of trips ago didn't empty his pockets properly when walking through the scanner and of course he "buzzed".

They took him aside and then he worked out stuff was still in his pockets, they gave him a gobful and SOH started to get his hackles up at the way they were speaking to him (it was rather rude) I stepped in and moved him along and gave SOH a gobful instead for being so darn stupid in the first place.. [B)]

But he could easily have been detained and missed our flight had he kept going on. They were not about to back down nor feel the need to be polite over the incident.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #196460 by max2
Anyhow, you all have an election coming up. Want things to change at "home", then vote.

More
14 years 2 months ago #196465 by Kiwi303

swaggie;169232 wrote: Anyhow, you all have an election coming up. Want things to change at "home", then vote.

National :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 2 months ago #196479 by Valmai
I lived in Oz for about 15 years, mostly Melbourne and in Brisbane for a year or two. Hate Brisbane (ok I'm sure it has changed heaps) luv luv luv Melbourne. But I wouldn't go back to Oz, this is my home and it feeds my soul far more than Oz ever did. As for the economy, the drought will take many years of above average rain to truly break (according to some expert on a Tassie govt website). So I have doubts about how long it will be before we start hearing about the real financial pain Oz is headed for.
But if you wanna go then go. Its an experience, you may regret it if you dont, but a lot of Kiwis over there would come home in a heartbeat if the money was right. For me money is not that important.
But just DO NOT badmouth NZ. As far as Im concerned those who do should go there and STAY!

Carbon-based biological unit.

More
14 years 2 months ago #196624 by scooter

Valmai;169253 wrote:
But just DO NOT badmouth NZ. As far as Im concerned those who do should go there and STAY!

Who's badmouthing!?

"My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."

More
14 years 2 months ago #196635 by Valmai

scooter;169413 wrote: Who's badmouthing!?

No one on here. But go to 'that' trading site .......

Carbon-based biological unit.

More
14 years 2 months ago #196641 by reggit
Actually it's rife on the Herald feedback site too, and I get sick of hearing about it too, Valmai :(.

Those who think they can do better over there should go and give it a try, good luck to them. If they don't like what is happening here but chose to stay, what about trying to get involved to make a difference? And by that I don't mean just voting either [;)].

It's all very well sitting back and blaming those at the top, but how many of us actively get involved in lobbying, protesting, advocating, standing for councils, supporting candidates in our local area whom we'd like to see elected?

We complain that kids nowadays want all the rights but none of the responsibilities, but it seems to me that most adults also want the rights under democracy, but not the responsibilities that this system requires to work: to actively take part in the process, which means getting involved more than once every three years...

Sorry to go on, but the anti-NZ comments that have been everywhere the last few weeks (not particularly on here, I mean) have hit a raw nerve with me :(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 2 months ago #196647 by DiDi
Me tigger. I am very political when it comes to supporting what I believe in and have recently made a verbal submission to the Royal Commission on Auckland Governnance, attend meetings etc. Don't write to the paper though as I worry about wierdos deciding to visit me.

Actually I once had a strange person who was on this forum briefly, send me a very religious email via the site! No longer with us thank goodness.

It is one thing to stand up for what you do and think in a public forum, as I am prepared to do, but to me it is a no no to venture into a persons private life with your strong opinions, as in this situation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #197025 by Seaside

Kiwi303;169066 wrote: Bears taste nice and make good rugs :D I think I could like it there... Moose, whitetail deer, bears, beavers... plenty to have fun with ;) lol

You'd have a ball over there, Kiwi! My birth mother's ex-husband (I guess he's the step father I didn't have) takes people out hunting in the Kooteneys (rocky mountains, south of Banff). There's so much wilderness and wildlife, not just moose and elk, but bears, kougars (not sure if they can hunt them). Rivers full of salmon.

I remember camping by the lake one night with a baby and a toddler, lying awake for hours, listening to the coyotes howl and fretting that they were wolves! And we had to lock all our food, rubbish and anything smelly in the car, NOT in the tent.

For some reason, one of the strongest memories when I first met my birth mother as an adult was sitting in the car, driving through the snowy mountains at night from Calgary to Cranbrook, eating elk jerky!

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds