Great Kiwi flight to Australia continues...

More
14 years 2 months ago #196199 by Seaside
My cousin-in-law has a lifestyle block outside Brisbane. They won't frolic through the grass (when they have grass) like we can here because of snakes and when we visited, he picked up a piece of wood and casually flicked off a redback spider with her nest. I wouldn't mind for myself, but I would be constantly worried about the kids getting bitten by something deadly. I'm enough of a worry wart as it it! Even some of the ant bites are hugely painful.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #196206 by max2
We live on the edge of a national park and see more snakes in the rural areas than bushland.

In saying that, each year one of our neighbours spots something either in their front yard or crossing the road...[xx(] our area has death adders, red bellied black snakes, king browns (vicious so and so's, can and will chase) blacks, and and common green tree snakes. Most will try and get out of your way. Never worried me until I became a Mother....

In the last few years Hubby has picked two up under roof ridgecapping and dropped the lot very fast indeed.... WIRES usually come quickly and "saves" the snake.

However to be able to pick up sheets of gal' around our NZ farm and the worse thing to have run out at us is a rabbit or two... :D bliss.

There are lots to be said for both Countries and People. I am getting irritated with the types moving into my area now and their ignorant mannerless ways, but that could be said also for some parts of NZ.

I also think the media beats up the numbers moving to Aust as I never hear of the numbers like SOH coming home. But they do.
This used to be said about the numbers moving up to Queensland, but equal car numbers were returning home again....

Just don't believe all that your hear in the media. There are a few Kiwi property "tycoons" banging their own drums over here very loudly indeed but saying very little of substance.

Remember you Kiwis cannot vote in Aust. unless you get the citizen "injection". In some cases you are treated like a Cousie, in others its stand in line like everyone else.

(just don't say 6, say half a dozen). :D [;)]

More
14 years 2 months ago #196210 by scooter
One of the jobs husband was interested in said he couldn't apply because he wasn't an Australian citizen [B)]

"My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."

More
14 years 2 months ago #196219 by max2

scooter;168970 wrote: One of the jobs husband was interested in said he couldn't apply because he wasn't an Australian citizen [B)]

As a Kiwi, I believe you have the same rights to work in Aussie as an Aussie, so I would be querying that.... my SOH is still a Kiwi Citizen and although currently self employed, its never been an issue.

More
14 years 2 months ago #196225 by FencerMan
After watching border security last night :P NZ'rs automatically get a work visa provided they dont have a serious criminal record :)

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
14 years 2 months ago #196237 by AdoubleJ
Our son is in Brisbane at the moment - went on Sunday - leaving wife and 4 children 7yrs to 6mths - checking out the IT market. He emailed from here and a number of business want to see him. Then he will have to decide what to do. I know that his decision will be to move over there, he has always wanted to and now is the time while the children are young. Funnily enough his wife isn't so keen and it is her family over there!! :D
I will miss them horribly :( :( but he says it will only be for a few years - yeh right!! :( :( I was one of those strange mothers that had empty nest syndrome when my kids left home... :( [:I] :o. I even hate it when they come and stay for a while and then go home again :( [:I] :o Mind you, to be honest, sometimes I don't mind them going..... :D [:I]

AdoubleJ

12 dogs, 6 cats, 1 x Hereford cross /Cassie/Casserole, 7 girlie sheep and of course Rambo and IggyPop! and chooks!

More
14 years 2 months ago #196241 by The Kats Place
My hubby was invited to apply for a position in Brisbane earlier this year and was offer the position. I felt he could go if he wished and just come home each month, but I find it too hot in the summer and I couldn't have there what I have here. Also my daughter is over there with her husband (australian) and three children, however I don't get on with my SIL and Brisbane wouldn't be big enough for the both of us.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 2 months ago #196270 by scooter

FencerMan;168986 wrote: After watching border security last night :P NZ'rs automatically get a work visa provided they dont have a serious criminal record :)

If you had a serious criminal record I always thought you were never allowed out of the country. :eek:

"My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."

More
14 years 2 months ago #196274 by betenoir
And there was me thinking you needed a serious criminal record to be allowed into oz[}:)]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

• maggies mum
14 years 2 months ago #196275 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Great Kiwi flight to Australia continues...
Oz could have been an option for us, but we opted with NZ, with the view that we could always haul over there if it didn't work here! BUT after a week in Perth meeting up with my sister and her family holiday with her husbands sister, I said I would never go there again! lol It was too blooming hot and the most stressful "holiday" ever!

I'm not even sure I could go for a holiday again, I wouldn't sleep for worrying about spiders and BD would be worrying about snakes!

So NZ it is. If we ever moved again, I think Canada would be a god option, always fancied going there.............................but then again...they got bears!! Sigh!

More
14 years 2 months ago #196299 by Kiwi303
Bears taste nice and make good rugs :D I think I could like it there... Moose, whitetail deer, bears, beavers... plenty to have fun with ;) lol

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

• Toni - Northland
14 years 2 months ago #196353 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Great Kiwi flight to Australia continues...

tigger;168916 wrote: As long as you've both got the wanderlust...in the immortal words of Dr Phil, the decision rests on two yesses or one no...[;)]

Don't you just love Dr Philisms. I trot them out from time to time as the opportunity arises.

• maggies mum
14 years 2 months ago #196380 by maggies mum

betenoir;169038 wrote: And there was me thinking you needed a serious criminal record to be allowed into oz[}:)]

:D :D :D When my friend emigrated to Oz they asked her at customs did she have a criminal record? She replied 'I wasn't aware you still needed one!'

[}:)]:rolleyes:

More
14 years 2 months ago #196395 by reggit

maggies mum;169150 wrote: :D :D :D When my friend emigrated to Oz they asked her at customs did she have a criminal record? She replied 'I wasn't aware you still needed one!'

[}:)]:rolleyes:

I've learned from experience there are two countries where you don't make jokes at customs, Aussie and the USA [:0].

Oh, and if you are travelling on a US passport and don't have a US accent, just nod or you'll find yourself in a little room with guys with guns questioning you :( and that was before 9/11

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

• maggies mum
14 years 2 months ago #196416 by maggies mum
hehehehehe! Fink she was joking! lol

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds