Email help needed please

More
14 years 1 month ago #12655 by ronnie
Hi,

For some reason, my email system seems to have shat itself.

Tried to reply to an email earlier on and it came up and told me "Word was not installed" and it would use Outlook email instead.

This is all very odd as was working perfectly well earlier today.

Anyway, then system froze up completely so I had to switch off at wall and restart.

I am currently trying to do a Detect and repair thing and its making things go very slow. Seems to be downloading word or something.

Anyone know what might be going on? and more importantly, how to fix it.

Have I got a bug from somewhere?

Getting hugely annoyed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #195606 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Email help needed please
ronnie - I'm not Grant, Amie etc but did a quick search for you and it is showing Microsoft Support for this issue.

Google (search) under - Email not working+word not installed message? - and it will open up.

Seems odd that it was working previously but maybe an Update has changed it. Anyway - something for you to read. Hope it helps.

More
14 years 1 month ago #195639 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Email help needed please
Thanks Didi,

my email is now back to normal - seems to have reset itself with the overnight shut down.

More
14 years 1 month ago #195713 by KiwiOverseas
Good to hear your email is back up and running again. The message you received is related to the fact that outlook email has two options available as to how you create/edit emails.

Outlook comes with its own mini word processor if you like - its own programme for reading and writing emails. Its a bit limited in what it can do but perfect fine for writing emails.

Alternatively - the second option is to use microsoft word if you have it loaded. So when you load outlook or use it for the first time it will ask if you want to use outlook or microsoft word to create emails.

In your case it would appear your default email editor is word. When you fired up the email the other day it tried to find the word programme (where ever it may be loaded) - and couldn't find it - so it then gave you the option of using the outlook email editor instead.

Hard to say specifically what might have caused this (it could be any number of things). Usually if a programme can't be found it means its not there at all, or the location of the programme has gotten lost (i.e - the path to the programme has changed or been corrupted). Also your system freezing up indicates there was some sort of system conflict going on. Shutting down the system and then doing a detect and repair sounds like it solved the problem - excellent.:-)

If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?

More
14 years 1 month ago #196391 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Email help needed please
Interesting thing - it did it again yesterday. And I was using the reply button to answer the same person:(

So I now guess it has something to do with that persons email address (hotmail).
Just did a restart and it corrected itself again, but what a total pain.

Next time (she is a customer) I will try sending a new message rather than use the reply button and see if that prevents it from happening.

Strangely, her husband works for Telecom.........

More
14 years 1 month ago #196473 by ame
Replied by ame on topic Email help needed please
Let's all speculate wildly about the reasons behind this. Could it indeed have something to do with the sender's husband working for Telecom? Err, no.

The reason is that you don't understand the difference between plain text email and HTML or Rich Text email. Firstly, let me state once again that you should compose all of your email in plain text, and you should view all of your email in plain text mode. There are several reasons for this, not least of which is that plain text is inherently secure. Please read my message in this thread to see why:

www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/vforum/showthread.php?t=375

So, what is happening here? Well, your sender has sent you a message in Rich Text or HTML (thank you, Microsoft, for muddying the waters there). You have viewed it as Rich Text or HTML and chosen to reply. Outlook is configured to reply in the same mode as the original message (i.e. Rich Text or HTML), and you have selected “Use Microsoft Word to edit email messages”. Of course, if Word is not installed then Outlook cannot use it to edit email messages.

See this link for an explanation of the difference between Plain Text, Rich Text and HTML, and for how to check or change whether Word is your editor:

tss.oregonstate.edu/cn/soft_tips/docs/ou...l-format&type=normal

To fix the problem there are many solutions:

1) Turn off the check mark which selects Word as your editor.
2) Set Outlook to *always* use plain text.
3) Use a better email client, such as Thunderbird (and ensure you select Plain Text only).

Of course, you may not have explicitly selected to use Word, which is puzzling, but that certainly seems to be what has happened.

HTH,

A

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds