Duck Shooting Season

More
15 years 11 months ago #192771 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Duck Shooting Season
Unfortunateley there do seem to be idiots out there and they are the ones that are giving duck shooters a bad reputation. I hate to see waste and shooting something and not eating it (unless its a pest that is inedible!) is a complete waste. Shooting for dinner is to me no different to raising a freezer beast ...the animal has had its freedom or a good life and its now time to come to the dinner table.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #192780 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Duck Shooting Season
I no longer shoot but did for a good many years and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was a "pot hunter" - in other words the ducks were brought home, plucked, gutted and frozen for dinner. And when I came back from the maimai I would spend the rest of the day chasing pheasant with my English Setter. I was never a particularly good shot and many got to live another day but I could think of far worse ways of spending one's time.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
15 years 11 months ago #192791 by Angie
Replied by Angie on topic Duck Shooting Season
Well, I've just spent the weekend in the maimai with my husband (as we do every year) and had a thoroughly wonderful time. I'm sorry to hear that some people hate it so much although I'm comfortable with the fact that everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

As for us, it's mainly about companionship, being together, doing something we've prepared for, practised for, and spend a lot of money to do. We eat everything we shoot, we have a damn good couple of dogs with 100% retrieval rate thus far, and we never "blaze away" unless we're confident of a clean hit.

If you're looking at it from a food point of view (which we do), at least the ducks have a chance to escape the pot. The cattle/sheep in the paddocks don't.

But yeah. I'm not going to defend myself futher except to say, yes there are dickheads out there who sit in the maimai, getting drunk and shooting at anything that moves; usually missing and then leaving the duck suffering; with no intention of retrieving it for dinner.

I'm not one of those "hunters", so please don't lump me in the same category.

Echo Ridge - Dexters, Sheepies and Labradors

"Don't wait for the light to appear at the end of the tunnel. Stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!" - Sarah Henderson

More
15 years 11 months ago #192800 by Kilmoon
Replied by Kilmoon on topic Duck Shooting Season
I'd love a couple of hunters to come onto our property. 20-30 bloody ducks have invaded and I have to stand in the paddock each evening chasing the bloody things off so that the sheep can eat their feed - spent the entire weekend chasing them off from the paddocks every few hours as they just get coming back. The problem occurred when previous neighbours let the ducks eat their chook food, so though the neighbours have gone the ducks are becoming a bloody menace. The good thing is that they see a person and take off :D ....now if I can just train the sheep to chase these winged rats life would be good.

• chooky
15 years 11 months ago #192804 by chooky
Replied by chooky on topic Duck Shooting Season
I agree Angie about the irresponsible shooters . Our son went out for opening day and reckoned there were some shooters down the river from them who were shooting at everything and not a lot of it was falling from the sky . Trouble is that scares off the ducks for those who may be able to actually get one .
I can see what you mean about the rituals of duck shooting - building the maimai etc. but I do delight in seeing all the ducks increase in numbers on out shoot free zone dam !

More
15 years 11 months ago #192845 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Duck Shooting Season

Kilmoon;165319 wrote: I'd love a couple of hunters to come onto our property.

Dunedin... hmm, want to post that on the hunting forum? you'd be deluged by replies :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
15 years 11 months ago #192859 by powerguy
Replied by powerguy on topic Duck Shooting Season

Kilmoon;165319 wrote: I'd love a couple of hunters to come onto our property. 20-30 bloody ducks have invaded and I have to stand in the paddock each evening chasing the bloody things off so that the sheep can eat their feed -

Not to mention if you have cattle the bloody ducks shit everywhere and can give your animals exposure to avian TB which results in a positive TB test and all the associated problems.

Also the fouled pasture is unattractive to stock so you lose valuable grazing.

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
15 years 11 months ago #192862 by Kilmoon
Kiwi303 - mentioned it at work today and have a couple of people to ring who sound like they will rid us of this vermin...I'll even provide tea and coffee!!

Powerguy - don't have cattle, but the sheep don't like the mess on the paddocks. They don't even look up at me now when I go running through a paddock chasing ducks. I might add that my aim with the pine cones is improving and many a time I get to hear a very good thwack sound with a pile of feathers as proof of a hit.

• maggies mum
15 years 11 months ago #192870 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Duck Shooting Season
Kilmoon could ya get someone to film that, that would be worth seeing! ;)
:D

More
15 years 11 months ago #192877 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Duck Shooting Season
Killmoon who needs a gun:D:D just something heavier

Powerguy I think it only needs another test to tell its bird tb. I hate the mess they make of the paddock with there big flat feet as as well as polluting the water with that sell......a thingy cant spell it

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
15 years 11 months ago #192927 by Kilmoon
Okay...who stole 'our' ducks?????[}:)]

Here I was all ready to do my best Tarzan act (not swinging from the trees, more like holding onto branches as I pass the trees at full gallop all downhill I might add so the speed really picks up :D , trying not to slide on my ass in wet paddocks - damned rain[}:)] :D ), with full ammo in hand only to find no ducks. I walked back up paddock leaving handy ammo at gate (pine cones nicely stacked for quick re-arming), went and got the sheep nuts and hay for the lambs/hoggetts, and the grain for the ewes, expecting to return and hear the quacking of intruders as I fed out. I hid, I skulked, I went away and came back, I scattered more sheep nuts in the vain attempt of luring them out (the lambs/hoggetts loved it)...but to no avail...

....there were no ducks :( :( . No ducks on the dam, no ducks under the oak trees, no ducks hiding along the fence line (where they think I can't see them[}:)]), no ducks flying around, no ducks waddling down through the neighbours....you get the picture?

Its great!!! Its quiet!! :D :D :D :D :D

Will see if I can hear them hanging around the neighbours tomorrow morning as they wait for chook food, otherwise we may be rid of them....or am I being too hopeful?? I even had a chap to ring tonight to ask him if he wanted some target practice, I was ready to beg, make scones, make tea/coffee anything to get someone legal to kill the buggers...without ducks to shoot its a tad moot really. (Hubby reckoned they heard us discussing buying a shotgun to get rid of them - we checked and its legal to kill them as pests, the bodies have to be left where they lay eg not for eating - and so cleared off).

Ahh well, I now will have to think of something else to throw cones at :D ...I wonder if I can train our sheep to play fetch?

More
15 years 11 months ago #192990 by powerguy
Replied by powerguy on topic Duck Shooting Season

sod;165408 wrote: I think it only needs another test to tell its bird tb.

Yeah, a blood serum test that you have to push for. Meantime your herd is on infected status and all the hassle that goes with that. If it gets known, try selling your stock through the yards!

Once one of our neighbours had to put down a pet deer because of a positive reaction. The autopsy showed no TB, it was just a reaction to the avian TB antibodies.

Don't get me wrong - I like ducks. I think that anything as improbable as them is great but they are like weeds - a plant growing in the wrong place. Ducks and stock don't mix well, especially large numbers of ducks.

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds