Apple vs PC

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #12433 by oskatd
Apple vs PC was created by oskatd
Can someone tell me - preferably in a non-biased way, what the difference is? From what I can see apple is flasher looking, which will obviously appeal to those who are concerned with such things - and are presumably not bothered about paying a premium for them. I am assuming that they do the same thing? Will an apple computer download music to any MP3 player, or does it have to be an ipod? I am intrigued to know what the difference is for the average person?

Hopefully this won't start a 'mines better than yours' type argument....[B)][:0]

TIA :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #192463 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Apple vs PC
This could end up like a Ford vs Holden debate [}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #192466 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Apple vs PC

oskatd;164957 wrote: Will an apple computer download music to any MP3 player, or does it have to be an ipod? I am intrigued to know what the difference is for the average person?

It so happens that I was in the local Dick Smith store this avo and in passing I was admiring the very sexy design of their laptops and iMacs. You've got to hand it to Steve Jobs; he has really turned the company around.

Apple PCs have a very big following in the design/creative industry where image is everything. I have also seen them in lawyer's offices and the like where (presumably) money is no object.

If I was in that situation, maybe I would stump up the extra $ for an Apple too, but over the years from 1984 until now, I have spent an incredible amount of money keeping my PC reasonably up-to-date, which until recently was a necessity, so I could do my job.

It has now reached the point, where even a 3 or 4-year old PC would be sufficient for what I do, given the advance of technology.

If there is one thing I have learnt over the years, it is that money spent on keeping your PC up-to-date is a very bad investment, because you can always buy the same (or better) system much cheaper in a year's time.

Having said that, I have had a lot of enjoyment and usage out of my PCs over the years, so I don't begrudge it really.

I would suggest asking yourself:

- Are the looks of my PC important to me?
- Or do I just want a PC to do certain jobs at a reasonable price?

If looks matter to you, stump up the extra $ and buy an Apple, you won't regret it. Otherwise, go for a PC unless you have some special software which can only be run on an Apple.

Both of them will do much the same job. Apple machines can even run Windows XP or Vista now, although the reverse is not true.

So far as downloading music to an MP3 player, either of them will do that equally well.

There aren't really that many differences any more, other than what I have mentioned above. If you had asked this question 5 or 10 years ago, the answer would have been very different. Apples and PCs have converged dramatically over that time.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #192473 by organicltd
Replied by organicltd on topic Apple vs PC
I basically agree with what Grant has said. With the following exception. Apple and it's OS is easier to use. I have always used a mac and always will. I lease my powerbook and get a new one every 2 years. That way you keep up with the latest OS and hardware.
As for running vista, WHY WOULD I WANT TO!
I have run a successful business for the past 6 years using only apple software.

I am patiently waiting for vodafone to offer me the apple iphone towards the end of the year. I am sick of getting calls from telecom offering me free phones. They know how much business my 0800 number generates when the calls are diverted to my 021 number. And I have told vodafone and telecom that the company who gets the iphones into NZ will be the one that gets my business. At this stage it looks like vodafone.

I see motorola are getting out of the cell phone market. Cannot compete with apple and the iphone? Blackberry and palm should be next.

Wine does not make you FAT it makes you LEAN...
....against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #192505 by ame
Replied by ame on topic Apple vs PC

oskatd;164957 wrote:
Hopefully this won't start a 'mines better than yours' type argument....[B)][:0]

Well, I've never seen it happen on any other on-line forum, so probably it won't happen here either. :)

But seriously, your opinion is about right. Macs are massively overdesigned and soooo shiny. And they work. Generally they cost more, but they look nice and are very popular with artists and designers. PCs are (generally) fugly and crash all the time.

I expect you can use your favourite MP3 player with a Mac, but all of your Mac buddies will sneer at your Dick Smith special. Most MP3 players appear as a new hard drive on the desktop when you plug them in, and an MP3 file is just a file, so you can drag and drop as required.

Using a Mac is pretty easy. They look nice, and, as previously stated, they work. Software between the two (Mac and PC) is incompatible, so if you're making the switch then check that your favourite software is available first.

For better advice you should speak to a Mac owner/user. I don't have one, and I don't want one.

A

PS They're cheaper in Oz, IIRC.

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #192524 by pkb
Replied by pkb on topic Apple vs PC
I have an Apple Macbook and before that had a Powerbook. It is partly because I like the shininess (!). However, I work from home and use it all day, so its form is important to me. Also - and this is the main point - I have always used and prefer to use unix. We have had linux laptops in the past and they have taken a lot of fiddling with to get right and get drivers working, etc. Mac OSX is a slick unix interface that has always worked out of the box for me yet is very configurable. And for documents I can get Microsoft Office for OSX which avoids any OpenOffice headaches. Maybe I will switch to Linux in the future - but for now Macs are just right for me!

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #192532 by BillyTheTractor
Replied by BillyTheTractor on topic Apple vs PC
I sort of disagree here, it's not just the looks.

I have been using apples for years - when they used to be just beige boxes!

It's the stability that does it for me. I use mine all the time, it's almost never switched off. It never crashes, it has never been infected by a virus, or spyware. It has no virus protection it at all - who knows if in the future I my need it though.

I have a pc laptop ( insurance claim) that I barely use - and have spent lots on protecting it. I also find it irritating.

They are easy to use - may take a bit of getting used to after a pc as slightly different, but I find them so much more suer friendly. So far I havent found anything it wont do.

You can download music to any old player.

Wee Farm

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #192560 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Apple vs PC
I agree with BTT for pretty much the same reasons. Been using macs since the very first 128K machine in 1984 and though I've had to use windows and other dinosaur PCs when I was in paid employment, have always preferred my mac. My DH who's in the computer industry also prefers macs, though now he and DS only use Linux, even on their windows laptops (provided by work, so only option). Just as with Billy The Tractor, I've never had a mac crash, never had any virus or other issues. MUCH more user-friendly.

You need to think about what you want to do with the machine before you decide what to get, and it's quite possible to get overhauled second-hand macs that will do everything you need.

DH says most MP3 players are compatible with Macs, but you have to check the specs first.

Andrea
Oxford

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #192569 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Apple vs PC
Thanks, guys, not going to change my computer - just interested in the differences... I'd probably struggle to change anyway, having been so used to windows based systems. I view computers a bit like cars in that you buy the best you can afford without getting into debt, run it til it ain't gonna run anymore, then replace it with the best you can afford. I have horses who I'd much rather spend the $$ on!

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #192571 by KiwiOverseas
Replied by KiwiOverseas on topic Apple vs PC
I'll add 2 cents worth if I may.

Like most people I've used both platforms from time to time, and both have their strengths and weaknesses. I've always found macs to be very stable and work really well at multimedia tasks. You'll also find that macs are very popular with the print media and advertising industry (although if it gets to the level of serious large scale digital rendering - that's a different requirement again).

Macs have been designed all along with the idea of a having a very intuitive user interface requiring minimum configuration. In addition - apple markets all of its products as more than just a box that does computing tasks/ plays music/ plays videos/ etc - they are a lifestyle choice (oh la la)! Here in also lies the weakness. If you are pushing a device because its different or exclusive than its going to have problems when it comes to joining the group - like a LAN......or the internet. GrantK will probably testify how difficult it was to get a mac to talk to other machines prior to the advent of the internet! Despite this - the whole design, processing, etc of the mac shows a lot of effort goes into their construction, plus you can always count on apple to take a concept just a little bit further.

PCs, on the other hands, are more like the tractors of the computing world. Ugly looking, kind of clunky at times, may need a lot of fiddling - but gets the job done, there's lots of them, and if it all goes to custard you can at least share you misery with eveyone else. And then there is the cost factor - for the money you spend on a mac you will get a very high powered, top of the line PC equivalent in most cases.

As for me - I prefer PCs but that's because I work in the industry and like to build, maintain, and reconfigure my own machines. With a PC I can choose every component that goes into it - and if I want to change something I can. Macs, on the other hand, are designed as such that they are not to be messed with (especially the hardware).

So consequently, while PCs might be harder to maintain and more trouble to configure - I prefer the ability to choose that goes with it.

If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #192587 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Apple vs PC
I've used apples, both the old beige boxes and modern bubble shaped arty things, My first computer was an Apple IIe with 4Kb ram and no HDD, I've used PCs running variously, OS2, Windows of all flavours from straight DOS to XP SP2, Unix, linux, and once, pulled the lever on a punchcard machine :D

Of them all, I vastly prefered the PCs. I can open them up, switch cards around slots, add and remove cards, reconfigure drivers and do other funny stuff to them. Apples are very much a take-it-or-leave-it type of machine, they're not really designed for the user to open up and rummage through the innards. one model is even built into and sealed up in the monitor.

It's horses for courses, the tractor anology above is close, tractors can have a slasher or power harrow, or plough, or wood splitter, or anything else hooked up to the 3 pt linkage and PTO, whereas the Apple ride-on is stuck with the mower deck underneath and thats about it.
Good for it's job, and simple, but so very hard to adapt to anything other task.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds