Anyone updated Vista to SP1?

More
14 years 2 months ago #12299 by DiDi
I have had two notices to update to SP1 and haven't gone there as I googled it under "problems" and there seemed to be quite a few. However, research last night suggested that if it was offered to you as a Update through Automatic Updates, then it meant all your drivers were up top date etc.

Funny thnng is that tonight it has disappeared off my Update screen and been replaced with two new updates (cr*p that I don't use) so anyone else done it? I have a Desktop PC not a Laptop.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #190840 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Anyone updated Vista to SP1?
OT sorry but I just picked up a HP update for vista issues..... on the LT, HP updates seem fairly rare.

More
14 years 2 months ago #190841 by max2

DiDi;163073 wrote: I have had two notices to update to SP1 and haven't gone there as I googled it under "problems" and there seemed to be quite a few. However, research last night suggested that if it was offered to you as a Update through Automatic Updates, then it meant all your drivers were up top date etc.

Funny thnng is that tonight it has disappeared off my Update screen and been replaced with two new updates (cr*p that I don't use) so anyone else done it? I have a Desktop PC not a Laptop.

Sorry if this isn't applicable, but I just went through my updates list, plus what is "waiting" and there hasn't been a service pack for my vista on the LT.....
[:I]

Wouldn't the driver updates come from the manufacturer such as HP in my LT example?

Perhaps this is wrong... we all know how reliable I am with computers... :D [;)]

More
14 years 2 months ago #190860 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Anyone updated Vista to SP1?
Swaggie - I have just gone ahead and downloaded it and everything appears to be working fine. In fact the graphics look clearer. As my download "cap" expires for this month tomorrow I just did it! Also downloaded the Free AVG 8 antivirus programme. Did a full scan and it found 83 cookies - since deleted. I thought I had been deleting them manually but obviously not so!

As regards you. I read that they will only offer you the download when all your drivers etc are up to date. For HP Updates, go into Help and Support and you will see the update your drivers thing on the right hand side. Open that and it will give you the HP updates. It might also pay to Google "What to do before downloading SP1" as Microsoft have an article on it. There are some drivers that are not compatable but they seemed fairly weird ones to me apart from Roxio which I use - but haven't tested it yet. All the best.

More
14 years 2 months ago #190863 by max2
Many thanks Didi, I shall look tomorrow. Had the laptop on all afternoon and manually checked for updates, nothing "new" apart from its desire to download an office programme which I don't have anyhow on the LT....

Anyone know where I can get Word for free and is safe? I have a 97 or 98 version on disc, and my XP came with it pre installed but no disc.

E now needs it for her homework on the memory stick.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

More
14 years 2 months ago #190874 by ame
Replied by ame on topic Anyone updated Vista to SP1?

swaggie;163235 wrote: Many thanks Didi, I shall look tomorrow. Had the laptop on all afternoon and manually checked for updates, nothing "new" apart from its desire to download an office programme which I don't have anyhow on the LT....

Anyone know where I can get Word for free and is safe? I have a 97 or 98 version on disc, and my XP came with it pre installed but no disc.

E now needs it for her homework on the memory stick.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you want another copy of Word, you should pay for it. Not to do so is illegal.

Is it right for E's school to demand that she uses Word for her homework (given that to do so she needs to have access to a PC with Windows and Word)?

If Word is not a requirement, would OpenOffice suffice instead? It is free (of charge, and free of restriction).

A

More
14 years 2 months ago #190886 by powerguy
Didi, I have done it a few weeks ago and no probs. Mind you, I am running a Toshiba laptop that came pre-installed with Vista from Toshiba. Some clones may not be so forgiving. In fact, I have had no trouble with Vista at all despite the horror stories I was told before buying!

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
14 years 2 months ago #190920 by max2
As a general question then, if its a Vista service pack, shouldn't we all be receiving those update requirements for the service pack regardless of what "instrument" we use to host Vista?

More
14 years 2 months ago #190927 by max2

ame;163247 wrote: If you want another copy of Word, you should pay for it. Not to do so is illegal.

Is it right for E's school to demand that she uses Word for her homework (given that to do so she needs to have access to a PC with Windows and Word)?

If Word is not a requirement, would OpenOffice suffice instead? It is free (of charge, and free of restriction).

A

I have already paid for 2 versions/licences of Word Ame and quite happy to soldier on with what I have. I am not after a freebie upgrade.

However to my mind because I own 2 machines I feel it shouldn't restrict me to my use of the programme regardless of what machine I use for my work.... imagine trying to get through customs with my desktop on the plane because I needed to type a few quotes.....:rolleyes: why should I fork out another $270 odd?

I have also never received the disc for Word on my XP machine so would be equally happy to have the same version on my LT.

(I didn't realise that until I went through my service folder to find disc to copy to LT, and as the small supplier wasn't delighted about configuring my scanner to new equipment at the time, I doubt they would be delighted to provide me with now old disc).....

Would also be happy to hear how to "copy" the programme from the desk top to the LT, the owner of Microsoft might be worth billions, but unfortunately I am not.... (dreaming and scheming on though :D [;)]).

I see your point re E's school requirements, and I was shocked to know she was "required" to have a memory stick in the first instance, but I have bigger grizzles to bear in that dept at the mo, and considering my USB ports all seem to have collapsed on the desktop so she cannot plug in and use my existing Word, then its clearly the LT for her as soon as I download Word (even if it has to be the 98 version I have on disc here).

More
14 years 2 months ago #190980 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Anyone updated Vista to SP1?

swaggie;163302 wrote: I have also never received the disc for Word on my XP machine so would be equally happy to have the same version on my LT.

If your supplier didn't provide the disc Swaggie, it's most likely they loaded an illegal copy of Word for you [xx(]

swaggie;163302 wrote: Would also be happy to hear how to "copy" the programme from the desk top to the LT

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. You will need the original installation CD.

swaggie;163302 wrote: I see your point re E's school requirements, and I was shocked to know she was "required" to have a memory stick in the first instance, but I have bigger grizzles to bear in that dept at the mo, and considering my USB ports all seem to have collapsed on the desktop so she cannot plug in and use my existing Word, then its clearly the LT for her as soon as I download Word (even if it has to be the 98 version I have on disc here).

Word is a real pain with its incompatibility between versions. Recently I had to provide all the Company Letterheads to the new owner of our business. I have been using Office 97 for years and just assumed they would work on later versions of Office. Nup [:(!]

Office 2003 would not load our documents. Really unhelpful Microsoft [xx(]

For these reasons, I am with Ame on this one. You should look at using OpenOffice Swaggie. It gets around all these stupid incompatibilities between Microsoft's own products.

One of our sons has been using OpenOffice and found it could open and save to all versions of Word Documents without any problems. Some reports I have seen, indicate that there may be slight formatting differences on complex documents. But I doubt if that would pose any problem for E's homework :)

More
14 years 2 months ago #190981 by max2
Oh ok, so OpenOffice will "work" with E's memory stick Word stuff?

I am sorry that I didn't understand that, I assumed it was an alternative to Word and would be non compatible. [:I]:o:o

More
14 years 2 months ago #190982 by max2

GrantK;163360 wrote: If your supplier didn't provide the disc Swaggie, it's most likely they loaded an illegal copy of Word for you [xx(]

Bugger! But there again perhaps I shouldn't be surprised either. :rolleyes:

More
14 years 2 months ago #190985 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Anyone updated Vista to SP1?

swaggie;163361 wrote: Oh ok, so OpenOffice will "work" with E's memory stick Word stuff?

Yes, certainly [8D]

It's most unlikely you will notice any difference at all between how the document appears in OpenOffice, and how it appears in Word.

Some of the menu options for the more complex formatting functions in OpenOffice are a little different, but the Basics are almost identical from what I have seen.

When E is done editing her document, she will be able to save it in the original format, and her teacher will be able to open it again in Word. Easy Peasy :)

More
14 years 2 months ago #191007 by max2
Great! Solution found. [8D]

Many thanks Ame for suggesting it orginally and sorry that I didn't understand.
:)

More
14 years 2 months ago #191033 by ame
Replied by ame on topic Anyone updated Vista to SP1?

GrantK;163360 wrote:
If your supplier didn't provide the disc Swaggie, it's most likely they loaded an illegal copy of Word for you [xx(]

swaggie;163362 wrote: Bugger! But there again perhaps I shouldn't be surprised either. :rolleyes:

This is not necessarily true. Often you can buy a (new) PC with Windows and some Microsoft software preinstalled. A disc for the software is not supplied, but there is usually an image of the software on the hard disc, hidden away. The purpose of this image is to restore the PC to factory conditions if something should go badly wrong.

However, although you may have an image of the software the license for that software allows you to use it only on the original hardware, i.e. you cannot take the image and use parts of it on another machine. That is the reason that you must fork out $270-odd for another copy, because that is the law, and you agreed. (Yes, I know that in practice everyone rips software, but that is not the point).

I am glad that you are considering OpenOffice as a solution. It is true to say that my posts are sometimes confrontational, but I want people to think about what they are saying and what they are doing, and consider the implications (which are nicely laid out in this handy Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendor_lock-in ).

A

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds