Lest we Forget - Anzac day

• chooky
14 years 2 months ago #12294 by chooky
Lest we Forget - Anzac day was created by chooky

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #190615 by rob
Replied by rob on topic Lest we Forget - Anzac day
lest we forget??, not to a lot of people. i will always remember them.
God bless the fallen and watch over the ones who came home

Rob

More
14 years 2 months ago #190621 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Lest we Forget - Anzac day
Hubby's granny doesn't like going to the Anzac ceremony since grandad died a few years ago - he was a Cassino vet who lost a leg there - so we usually go to the ceremony in the morning then off to see her for the afternoon. Tomorrow though, we are having a working bee at her place replacing railing on one of her fences, so will be missing the ceremony, the first time in years.

I have been amazed in the last few years how many people of all ages are attending the services. Great to see the kids wearing their grandparents/greatgrandparents medals in the procession too, so glad they allowed that... :)

Don't get me started on the darn shops that use it as an excuse to have sales...got this email today that really annoyed me:

Dear ...,
Possibly the most important commemorative day of the year in both New Zealand and Australia, ANZAC Day marks the anniversary of the landing on Gallipoli by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War.
The soldiers in those forces quickly became known as ANZACs, and the pride and bravery they took in that name endures to this day.
No matter who you are, or how old you are, the ANZACs are part of our history and will never be forgotten.
Whitcoulls Rewards
PS: Don’t forget about our Jodi Picoult competition. Click here for full details!

'Lest we forget' is about the servicepeople, not some stupid competition! Couldn't they have just left that last bit out??? [:(!]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 2 months ago #190625 by The Kats Place
the wine club I belong to made a similar blunder and got so many complaints that they emailed to say sorry, and are donating the profits from the deal they were advertising to the returned service mens association.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 2 months ago #190634 by rob
Replied by rob on topic Lest we Forget - Anzac day
the only thing that should be open is the RSA, cant people do without shopping for one day? are we that brainwashed or just a lack of understanding of what this day means[:(!]

Rob

More
14 years 2 months ago #190833 by jeannielea
We just got back from a mid morning ceremony at Lake Ferry. This tiny village has a great turn out every year including lots of kids and reps from a couple of schools. Plus some army come over from Trentham and take part. Its a wonderful setting (on a fine day!) looking over the end of the lake and breakers crashing over the sand bar. And afterwards the pub puts on morning tea for everyone - they have a 10 shilling note there that was left by a local before he went overseas, with the message that he would use it to shout everyone when he got home. But he never did so the money is still there.

• Toni - Northland
14 years 2 months ago #190842 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Lest we Forget - Anzac day
I have just watched a programme on Nancy Brake.(?) What a gutsy woman she was. I doubt there would be many like her around today.

More
14 years 2 months ago #190858 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Lest we Forget - Anzac day
I think it was Nancy Wake, and I missed it, dammit! Should have written it on my hand to remind me! :(

Another stupid add, from Bond and Bond this time: 'great biscuits, men can wear flowers, Anzac Day is great' or words to that effect [:(!]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 2 months ago #190861 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Lest we Forget - Anzac day
Mum and Dad came over for morning tea, and as we "now" have a major supermarket 2 roads away from us, they reported the huge number of people trying closed doors to get in......[}:)]

Far out, how long a warning do people want to know that shops are closed in Aussie until at least 1.00pm on ANZAC day?! Close them all day I say..... :) [^]

• Toni - Northland
14 years 2 months ago #190880 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Lest we Forget - Anzac day
That's it, Wake, didn't think Brake sounded right. What a tough old cookie she was. She saw some disgusting things, that made her want to do something to change things and also I think was a bit of 'pay back'.

More
14 years 2 months ago #191050 by Dream Weaver

swaggie;163233 wrote: Mum and Dad came over for morning tea, and as we "now" have a major supermarket 2 roads away from us, they reported the huge number of people trying closed doors to get in......[}:)]

Far out, how long a warning do people want to know that shops are closed in Aussie until at least 1.00pm on ANZAC day?! Close them all day I say..... :) [^]

I believe it. My daughter works in the local supermarket here and she said people are always waiting at the doors for them to open. Its amazing and a sad reminder of how mad the world has gotten, I mean 1/2 a day with the shop shut and people can not stand it. DD also mentioned they had stock take a while ago. They shut the doors at 6 on a sundaynight, there had been posters warning of the closure because of stock take for around 2 weeks before the date it was due. DD said people were turning up knocking at the door and some of them very verbally abusive as to how they NEEDED to get in and get things!!!!!

More
14 years 2 months ago #191083 by Valmai
Replied by Valmai on topic Lest we Forget - Anzac day
I do not want to start a brawl or offend anyones religious beliefs but I believe that Anzac Day should be given the same respect that Xmas. boxing day and easter receive where the shops are closed for the whole day. I went to the service at Burnham this year.

Carbon-based biological unit.

More
14 years 2 months ago #191088 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Lest we Forget - Anzac day
Valmai I cant see how that would offend anyone and I can remember when it was all day and so it should be

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds