Laptop won't shut down and worse...

More
14 years 2 months ago #12264 by DiDi
Any clues? My daughter's HP Laptop when turned on is just a black screen but every light is lit so to speak. Next problem is that it is not shutting down. HELP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #190178 by Pumpkingirl
That doesn't sound good Didi :(

My uncle tells me there is only one thing worse than a black screen.. and that's "blue screen of death" which is the hard drive sucking the kumera and trying to go into safe mode but failing.

I would say it could be the screen, but then why won't it turn off?

The bad news - that's very similar symptoms to what I had when my hard drive died :(

More
14 years 2 months ago #190179 by Pumpkingirl
Have a look at Oskatds thread about their computer... if it is the hard drive, the possibilities are outlined there.

More
14 years 2 months ago #190183 by GrantK

DiDi;162492 wrote: Any clues? My daughter's HP Laptop when turned on is just a black screen but every light is lit so to speak. Next problem is that it is not shutting down. HELP

From what you are saying DiDi, there is never anything displayed on the screen at all???

To prove whether this is the case, you need to unplug the power adaptor and then remove the battery. Wait at least 5 minutes and then put the battery back in, and plug in the power adaptor. Then press the Power On button.

If you still see Nothing at all on the screen:

a) The LCD has failed
or:
b) The mainboard has died

In which case the laptop is not worth repairing unless it is under warranty.

If however, you do see something on the screen, you will need to tell me what you see for a clue as to what might be wrong.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 2 months ago #190191 by DiDi
Thank you Grant. That worked. I don't even understand my daughters explanation of what happened as she is so exhausted from a major issue in her life. She was working on the computer when it announced that it needed to update and it started doing it (because she didn't postpone it), said it needed to reboot? to complete the install (presumably) and that was it. Black screen etc. So not sure what she did or didn't do but at least it worked and she now knows what to do if there is a next time. I don't have a laptop so didn't even know which switch was which.

I did notice that she was removing a DVD when she first called me in so am wondering if that could have affected it. Anyway, thanks for your help...again.

More
14 years 2 months ago #190257 by powerguy
Hi Didi,

this is exactly what happened to me after an update. I did what Grant suggested to you and it has not faulted since. It is obviously some conflict between the update and the shutdown process. Mine stated it needed to shutdown to complete the update and then froze. Waited for ages until in desperation I removed the battery and rebooted. All fine since.

Incidentally I am running Vista and this was the first glitch I have had.

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
14 years 2 months ago #190277 by Pumpkingirl
Oh, I am so relieved for you Didi, there's nothing worse than computers doing dastardly things.

Aren't we lucky to have such wise people like GrantK and Powerguy to call on :D

More
14 years 2 months ago #190289 by max2
Didi same here with my HP Vista laptop about a month or so ago, I had to remove the battery (after disconnecting power lead) and it came back ok.

Something else I have picked up with mine, and I am sure its a vista issue, is where multiple updates are due, some won't install unless I manually reboot, and then it goes fine from there.

Of course there is never a warning to reboot as some updates on XP provide, but out of frustration once I tried it and its worked that way ever since (when its failed some updates).

However one of my issues was that my laptop only came with a trial version of Office. I have an update waiting for me to install office properly, but haven't had a need for it on the laptop up until now that E needs it for her school homework using her memory stick. (becoming compulsory at her school from next year, voluntary for now, although teacher gives them grief if they don't have one).

That also won't install (which is fair enough) but I thought it worthy of mentioning.

More
14 years 2 months ago #190292 by wyseyes
This is why I don't set windows to automatically install updates, because it will cause restarts to happen just when you need it not to.

There is a setting in "updates" which says 'download updates but let me determine when to install them'. Then I install and restart when I am ready.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 2 months ago #190299 by ame

wyseyes;162623 wrote: This is why I don't set windows to automatically install updates

This is why I don't run Vista.

More
14 years 2 months ago #190307 by max2

wyseyes;162623 wrote: This is why I don't set windows to automatically install updates, because it will cause restarts to happen just when you need it not to.

There is a setting in "updates" which says 'download updates but let me determine when to install them'. Then I install and restart when I am ready.

yes same here, but I guess what I was trying to describe is if there are 6 updates waiting for me, it might only do 4 and then go no further... eventually it will say some were "rejected".

Then I restart the laptop and set it off again to download updates, which it does fine.

My theory is the earlier updates need the computer to reboot before its able to do anything else. But Vista doesn't seem to be able to "announce" this as my XP reminders do.

(my theory anyhow, might be more technical than that, we all know how good my theories are with computers :D [;)]).

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds