Kennels is this odd to you?

More
14 years 2 months ago #12196 by Jan
Ok I just dropped off my little dog for a holiday at a local kennels. Now we have used a variety of kennels over the last 10 years and I have alway been able to lead my dog to its sleeping or holding place before a quick hug goodbye and then off I go. Even on a busy time like now...school holidays.

Ok so i drop my wee lady off at reception ready to take her thru but the lady there said nope she would take the dog from here as its staff only[:0]. Well i was a bit miffed and said that i would like to settle her in and see where she will be... You couldn't see the kennels part as big iron gates were blocking it any veiw...

Nope still a big No[:(!] and then she mentioned something like we have dogs loose. So I said well i don't mind dogs no problem. Nope again was the answer [:(!]and this time she mumbled something about stuff on shoes from outside people and they have to take care...well I ask you...we don't have foot and mouth here so whats she on about!!

At this time i realised i had no choice and she wasn't going to let me in. She could see I was peeved and then said if you had rung and let us know then we would have locked the dogs up for you and you could have come thru...Hmm nothing like a bit of time to spruce things up you mean...

Kennels are in short supply here and they would be booked out now any way ...so I had little choice.:(

Am i being over paranoid about this or are they just be careful and that, maybe osh rules or something? :(

Jan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #189291 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic Kennels is this odd to you?
Oh and when i went to get jab updates at the vet few weeks back, they asked what kennels I was using, I told them and the reply was oh you will need kennel cough then...hmm did I miss something?

Jan

More
14 years 2 months ago #189294 by The Kats Place
I only have cats to board. I invite owners to inspect. I don't let them into other peoples cats enclosures however. They can see in and see how things are kept and they are welcome to go into their own animals enclosure. I have had cats long term while owners build and stay with family where they can't have the cats and they come out to visit their animals each week - no problem. I'd guess that they hadn't done their poop pick up and clean for the day, or they had something to hide.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 2 months ago #189295 by Jan
Yeah I though about the poo pick up but they only open certain times and they had only reopened for say 30mins before i arrived..surely poop pickup would have been done prior to that?

Jan

More
14 years 2 months ago #189296 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Kennels is this odd to you?
Makes you feel uneasy eh!

We boarded our cats at their vets when we last came across the ditch, they offer a cat boarding service in their new building, and I also wanted to settle the cats in and set up their bed and toys, but wasn't allowed either...

I worried for the rest of our holiday, but upon return was allowed in the boarding area to pick them up and all looked fine.

I think perhaps if they are caught short handed when doing hand overs they are sensitive to the state that the property may be in, and prefer people not to see it and think its how they operate.

Could be an insurance issue too, it seems more and more restrictions are being placed on businesses on how they operate and I guess if it was felt one of the dogs could jump on you and dirty your clothes, some people would go ape over it and demand full dry cleaning or replacement etc.

Its one way to avoid any issues whatsoever, even if it seems "short" to a customer.

More
14 years 2 months ago #189301 by Louise W
Do you need us to check on her for you Jan? And, we have a spare kennel - why didn't you ask us - She could've stayed here and had a holiday. And Jet has a muzzle now [;)]

I would've been a bit miffed too ...

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK

More
14 years 2 months ago #189304 by lea
Replied by lea on topic Kennels is this odd to you?
One kennel down here does that too....something to do with setting off the other dogs due to people they don't know............ that was the answer we got. dogs came back happy and healthy though. Most kennels let you in though!!!!

Living on our 5 acres of land. Busy fencing and planting. Have dogs, cats and chickens. We also have cattle, sheep, goats, and geese.
Full-time working + plus full-time on the block. [|)]

More
14 years 2 months ago #189305 by BillyTheTractor
must admit I also find it a wee bit odd. I am a terrible softie and have only put ours into kennels once, but we took them right through into the pen ourselves, where the lady got nice clean beds for them and I put their own cushions on top. She showed me all round the play area and everything. When we got back they even had favourite toys in with them ( and it was the same ones that are their favourites at home! So they had abviously really been out playing!)
Personally I dont think there's anything wrong at all about wanting to see where our pet is going to be staying. I'm sure everything is fine though.

Wee Farm

More
14 years 2 months ago #189306 by Birman Babe
Having been an owner of a boarding facility, I feel its very odd that you werent allowed to walk to where they were going to house your dog; to me this would mean the place wasnt clean or your dog may have been sharing its quarters with someone elses dog (yes, it happens). Try not to worry about it & go enjoy your holiday. Find somewhere else next time though :-)

More
14 years 2 months ago #189310 by hilldweller

Birman Babe;161561 wrote: or your dog may have been sharing its quarters with someone elses dog (yes, it happens).

What's wrong with that, my dog wants to know? [:0]:confused: :( He LOVES sharing quarters and it's never caused any problems for him or any of the many dogs he's shared with (though the kennel people are very careful about who gets to share with who) :)

Not being able to go through to the kennel area does seem a bit odd.

hilldweller

More
14 years 2 months ago #189312 by Jan
I hope she doesn't share with another dog...not that that would worry me as such...but she hates little dogs[:0] (yey she's little to but thinks she a great dane.[:I] besides it wouldnt be comfy for the other dog...she will hog the bed!

Well I hope that she will be fine...not much I can do about it, so i will enjoy the break and try not to worry....It wont be for to long though.

I thought the place had a good reputation but that really threw me..

Lou thanks for the offer..next time ay..

Jan

More
14 years 2 months ago #189315 by ravenseyes
Re sharing the pen - most places up this way seem to offer communal or separate living. I always specify separate as my dog would attack another dog. You pay extra but I know that she is happy and other dogs are safe.

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.

More
14 years 2 months ago #189321 by Birman Babe
I would never let my dog share its sleeping quarters with another dog, gosh just one wee thing has to happen & you could have full-out war between them. Very dangerous & one most pet owners would prefer to avoid me thinks!!

More
14 years 2 months ago #189328 by The Kats Place
I never thought of the sharing thing. I wonder if that was the case. I also wonder if you will be allowed to go in when you get back to pick doggy up.

I have asked people to kick off shoes at the door of the cattery if they look muddy - specially if I've just washed the floors. I kick my own off if I have been out in the paddocks so visiter normally just follow that.

Enjoy your break and next time ask if you can go and do an inspection before you book.
I have seen people take more care where they send their cats than they do of where they send their kids!
I'm sure you baby will be fine.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 2 months ago #189377 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Kennels is this odd to you?
I left my cat Nako in a cattery once. I wasn't happy about leaving him anywhere but I didn't have a choice.
It was only for a few days but when I went and picked him up, the owners son went off and got him. On his return he mumbled, "I've got the right one this time dad". I was stunned to say the least. The cane bed and blankets he had in his bed were covered in pooh and he was frantic!

I got him home and he stuck to me like glue. A couple of days later I needed to walk down to the shop but as I headed out the gate, he was right on my heels, in the end I had to shut him in the house.

The whole episode put me off leaving him anywhere but with my parents.
Poor Dad never got a moments peace. Mum was at him all the time telling him Nako needed to go outside or he needed a drink, or food or something.
He was a pretty special cat and it broke my heart to think he'd been in this hell hole of a cattery.

The fact he refused to leave my side made me think about the comment the cattery owners son had made and I could never be quite sure if Nako had been handed over to someone and taken home by accident, the brought back again.

I did leave him and Tree at the vets cattery in Greenwoods Corner in Auckland. They looked after them very well. In fact, Nakos last few weeks were spent at the vets and he basically had the run of the place. They were fabulous.

It certainly helps you rest easy during your holiday if you know your animals are in good hands.
I was able to e-mail the vets from the USA and they would give me updates on how they were doing. Tree was a bit of a madam with the other cats but Nako had relaxed into the routine and wasn't too bossy.

Yakut

Time to create page: 0.266 seconds