Anzac Day Poppies

• Toni - Northland
15 years 10 months ago #12181 by Toni - Northland
Anzac Day Poppies was created by Toni - Northland
I was horrified to hear that all those poppies had been stolen from the Takapuna RSA. What a mongrel thing to do. I just hope they get caught.

Who goes to Anzac Day parade??????? I have been going every year and every year it gets bigger with more younger people going along. Very moving.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #189106 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Anzac Day Poppies
We just saw it on the Kiwi news in Aussie, I said to the SOH I bet they will go doorknocking now looking all professional and such selling the poppies....

So I would think if anyone sees door knockers in their area, to contact their local RSA to check if the people are fair dink...

More
15 years 10 months ago #189107 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Anzac Day Poppies
What complete and utter despicable lowlife..... who would do something like that?

We try and go to dawn parade every year - weather permitting. The last post always moves me to tears, and every year I mean to drag my grandad's medals out and wear them, as I understand that I have a right to do (my Mum wears her grandad's medals also...)

Gallipoli is an awesome place to visit, if you ever find yourself in Turkey - it is very moving....

• Toni - Northland
15 years 10 months ago #189117 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Anzac Day Poppies
You should wear your grandads medals oskatd. I believe you wear them on your right??? Swaggie, we door knock every year selling poppies for our local RSA and now only go to people we know as we have had some disgusting receptions. A simple "No thank you" would have sufficed. Now, with this theft I think it is more imperative that we only go to people we know. One old lady doesn't buy hers in town, she always waits for us to go round. Osaktd, Gallipolli is on my 'to do' list and would dearly love to go there, but the terribly long trip is the putter offer at present, along with the money, but it would be worth it I think. I was watching Oprah yesterday and she had a young girl from Riwanda? that had survied the massacres over there and this girl had given a speech and at the end she said, "History does not repeat itself, we repeat history" I thought that sums it up really.

More
15 years 10 months ago #189121 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Anzac Day Poppies
Totally agree Toni - there is a saying 'those who forget the past are destined to repeat it' - the importance of history is underrated I think.
You may think me a bit morbid, but I have also been to Auschwitz and Dachau. Both were terrible, the former truly horrifying. To me Gallipoli was more touching though, our people giving their lives. It did help that the day I went onto the peninsula I was one of 6 kiwis and our turkish guide - there was no one else, it was the end of summer, a beautiful day and we watched the sun set over anzac cove. The kind of thing you never forget.

I am gobsmacked that people would be rude to people selling poppies, how awful.

OK, so to wear Grandad's medals they go on my right, whereas he wore them on his left - thanks :0)

• Toni - Northland
15 years 10 months ago #189124 by Toni - Northland
It would pay to ring your local RSA and just check the side for the medals. I would hate to be wrong. You know me, I am never that.[^] I wish I could tell you the nationality of the people that were the rudest but won't. One man today gave $20, hows that for generous. One lady ALWAYS gives $10, year after year. Others give what they can and that is great. I still have to put ours in yet. I am hoping to get there this year, but am working the night before and don't get home till 1ish or later so will see what happens. I am going to the brekky later in the morning though. We have stood there in the most pouring of rains and it makes you think of those old soliders who had to fight in that, the mud and all. I couldn't do it and I doubt many of us could.

More
15 years 10 months ago #189134 by max2
I am battling with the changing of E's campuses, prior years she has marched for ANZAC, last year wearing her Kiwi's grandfather and greatgrandfathers medals, this year her "new" campus isn't doing anything, but stops for the "sorry" ceremony...

Another thing I shall be going into nag mode about when they return to school on Monday.

• Toni - Northland
15 years 10 months ago #189150 by Toni - Northland
What is a 'sorry' ceremony.???

More
15 years 10 months ago #189169 by max2
Our Federal Govt changed last year from Liberal party to Labor Party.

Part of the Labor party electioning platform of campaining was to apologise to the "stolen generation" of Aboriginals for the "wrongs" of our Govts past actions.

It was an official day (although not PH) and many schools of both private and public sector choose to acknowledge the day with various ceremonies/rememberances.....

(I use " " to acknowledge that there is much debate/opinion on many sides of the track with this discussion and have no interest in entering the debate further by expressing a personal opinion on the subject whilst acknowledging it is subjective to some*).

( *should have been a lawyer eh!).

More
15 years 10 months ago #189178 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic Anzac Day Poppies
Its disgusting and hope the little buggers manage to trip themselves up and get caught. We are planning on going to the Dawn parade this year, went last year and my son proudly wore his Grandads medals, this year its my turn to wear them.

More
15 years 10 months ago #189217 by OakhengeFarm
Replied by OakhengeFarm on topic Anzac Day Poppies
My son has recently joined the Air Training Corps, and will be wearing his Air Cadet Uniform in the Parade. He has been told that, even in uniform, he is permitted (nay, encouraged) to wear his Great Grandad's medals on his RIGHT breast. And yes, he got yesterday off school to sell poppies.

11 acres (4 in QEII Covenanted native bush), 15 sheep, 2 beefies, large vege gardens and a goat, and still no dog!:(

Oh, and uncountable wild birds - including fantails, swallows, yellowhammers, morepork, magpies, hawks, pukekos, and even quaill, pheasants and rainbow lorikeets [:D][:D] Not to mention possums, hares, rabbits, rats...

• Toni - Northland
15 years 10 months ago #189221 by Toni - Northland

oskatd;161357 wrote: Totally agree Toni - there is a saying 'those who forget the past are destined to repeat it' - the importance of history is underrated I think.
You may think me a bit morbid, but I have also been to Auschwitz and Dachau. Both were terrible, the former truly horrifying. To me Gallipoli was more touching though, our people giving their lives. It did help that the day I went onto the peninsula I was one of 6 kiwis and our turkish guide - there was no one else, it was the end of summer, a beautiful day and we watched the sun set over anzac cove. The kind of thing you never forget.

I am gobsmacked that people would be rude to people selling poppies, how awful.

OK, so to wear Grandad's medals they go on my right, whereas he wore them on his left - thanks :0)

I think visits to both those places would be a must if anyone goes to that part of the world. It would be a very very hard thing to do though and wonder if I would be brave enough to do it.

More
15 years 10 months ago #189313 by Valmai
Replied by Valmai on topic Anzac Day Poppies
Yes I have been to Gallipoli as well, although I knew what it was about I was surprised at how much it affected me to be there. (I know that sounds dumb...but...) I also came away with a great sense of gratitude to the Turkish people for allowing us to use a piece of their country to honour our soldiers who were invading their country.

Carbon-based biological unit.

More
15 years 10 months ago #189320 by simon@sue
Replied by simon@sue on topic Anzac Day Poppies
We have a son who has been in the army 4 years and this year he has travelled up from palmerston north to do the dawn parade at our local RSA- we will be the proud parents there with him in uniform :)
As others have said you are able to wear family medals but they go on the roght rather than the left if they are your own

4 acres with Garage/sleepout, a pond with ducks and frogs, lots of trees ready to burst into life in spring and lots of garden beds.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds