ANZ outsources work to India

More
15 years 10 months ago #189084 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic ANZ outsources work to India
I've been to Bangalore. It is quite westernised for an Indian city. We went for Pizza (very bizarre in India), it was funny, halfway through our pizza all the serving staff stopped what they were doing and did a dance in the middle of the restaurant. The locals all clapped, we just laughed....

I do bank with the National bank, I don't believe in loyalty to banks, insurance companies or the like - I go with whoever gives me the best and most cost effective service. The NBNZ has always looked after me as a student and now with our mortgage. If they stopped offering such good service I would be on my way to Kiwibank, no hesitation..... I don't intend to rush out and change just because of this though!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #189085 by KiwiOverseas
hmmmmmm.....well hello from India!

Just to add my 2 cents worth - I have no problem with a business acting like a business - its what every farmer knows these days (and having grown up on a sheep station and subsequently calling home in NZ a 12 acre block) - I know that most farmers are a pretty business savy lot or they don't stay a farmer for long. Having said that - I think its a shame that 500 jobs will go, and I wonder how hard the ANZ tried to keep the jobs in NZ. Not to mention the fact that call centre operators here in India get paid bugger all so I have no doubt the ANZ will save a truckload of money giving them the ability to pay bigger bonuses to their senior managers![:(!]

I like what Isla said about a sense of community (I remember what is was like). But are we also talking about the same community that takes a swipe at people only because they are foreign - or they happen to be single raising a kid (don't know about you but I think mothers are the most under-rated workers out there - and I can't imagine what it must be like to be a solo mother).

Finally - as for supporting NZ business. The ANZ (and the National bank by default) is Australian, so is Westpac, so is the ASB (owned by the commonwealth bank of Australia) - and of course the BNZ is owned by the National Bank of Australia . If I remember rightly the aussie banks run their operations in NZ as branches (i.e - they aren't incorporated in NZ) - and if it wasn't for the reserve bank putting its foot down they would have moved all their NZ financial processing to Australia long ago. I'm already with Kiwibank.

Yeah I think we should support NZ companies more - but I can't help but feel that tall poppie syndrome gets in the way. Kiwi's are ok if its a small NZ company - but if it gets too big or too successful - people would rather see them fall.

Have a good day people.

If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?

More
15 years 10 months ago #189101 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic ANZ outsources work to India

bsadler;161315 wrote:
Isla: My forebears got off the 2nd ship into New Plymouth in 1851 (the “Amelia Thompson”). My ancestors fought in the Maori Wars (and all the others we got involved in - happily on the winning side each time!). My grandfather was a co-founder of St. Mary Diocesan girls’ school in Stratford and which my mother attended. I was educated at NPBHS – as was my father - and Massey. I’ve owned my NZ farmlet since 1983.

So, in answer to your question, I’d say: “yes, I’m from around here”.

My suggestion is to find someone else to patronise.

Oh I do beg your pardon. That makes your opinion so much more valuable then, although bearing in mind your pedigree is just an 'accident of birth', I doubt it gives you any added credibility.

I am sure you and others reading my comment understand entirely its meaning.

More
15 years 10 months ago #189112 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic ANZ outsources work to India
Whilst sitting in another country, albeit Aussie, I don't think this "movement" of shifting staff to countries such as India is going to work for long at all and I am sure you will eventually see a major turn around.

We have a 1800 telephone number for our business. In its wisdom, Telstra prints off a business 1800 directory (1800 numbers mean its a "free call" to the dialler, but the telephone number owner pays, plus pays a monthly surcharge for having the number).

So we get quite a number of calls from staff obviously o/s due to the 1. poor quality of telephone line connection, and 2. lack of communication skills and understanding of the english language - all trying to flog something, (and its not worth the cost of the call at all) and we end up hanging up rather quickly so our potential business to the "offering business" is immediately worthless anyhow.

it won't take long for these businesses to learn that they are turning potential clients off.
Either they are going to have to smarten up their act re communication lines and the quality of english comprehension their staff have (imagining having to pay more to obtain that standard of education in staff) or chuck it in and return call centres back to our lands.

Just cannot see it lasting at all.

• Toni - Northland
15 years 10 months ago #189118 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic ANZ outsources work to India
We get a lot of calls from Oz from call centres. :)

More
15 years 10 months ago #189137 by max2

Toni - Northland;161354 wrote: We get a lot of calls from Oz from call centres. :)

Wow that is surprising (apart from roof restoration businesses, but that is another thread all of its own) who are they Toni?

• Toni - Northland
15 years 10 months ago #189149 by Toni - Northland
The latest one was from Telecom. They rang my mobile and there was an OZ number on it. Usually if it is an Oz number it comes up 0000 on my land line, but this had the 0061 in front of it. They wanted to know if I was happy with my plan. Told them I couldn't talk I was in a meeting. Actually, the neighbour was here having a coffee. :p

More
15 years 10 months ago #189168 by max2

Toni - Northland;161389 wrote: The latest one was from Telecom. They rang my mobile and there was an OZ number on it. Usually if it is an Oz number it comes up 0000 on my land line, but this had the 0061 in front of it. They wanted to know if I was happy with my plan. Told them I couldn't talk I was in a meeting. Actually, the neighbour was here having a coffee. :p

Interesting... we don't have telecom here anymore they have been Telstra for some years (I think? since they privatised).

More
15 years 10 months ago #189184 by bsadler
isla: no, it doesn't "make my opinion much more valuable" or give it more credibility but it does put it on at least an equal footing with yours and provide you with a little context as a bonus (and the diocesan-founding grandfather: well he went bankrupt in the great depression - there really is no god!)

the reason nz has become a "branch economy" is because that's all we deserve. it's really quite simple: the tough and resiliant will inherit the earth.

edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/04/18...deaths.ap/index.html

More
15 years 10 months ago #189202 by Isla

• Toni - Northland
15 years 10 months ago #189215 by Toni - Northland
I thought it odd too Swaggie. Usually the 0000 comes up, but this was the full oz number. They never rang back like they said they would. Mind you I wouldn't have answered it. They also asked if this was hubbys phone, it is in my name so don't know how they got that and if he was happy with the current plan. I actually wondered if I should ring Telecom to see if it was kosher or not. If we get a reminder on the power bill, which happens very sometimes, it is 0000 which is from Oz. The accent gives it away also.[^]

More
15 years 10 months ago #189225 by rob
Replied by rob on topic ANZ outsources work to India
i wonder how many managers are getting laid off from F&P, it always seems to be the workers that get shafted first, looks like they (managers)did not manage things to well. the working Joe is always being asked to be loyal to companies, does that work in reverse

Rob

More
15 years 10 months ago #189256 by max2

Toni - Northland;161459 wrote: I thought it odd too Swaggie. Usually the 0000 comes up, but this was the full oz number. They never rang back like they said they would. Mind you I wouldn't have answered it. They also asked if this was hubbys phone, it is in my name so don't know how they got that and if he was happy with the current plan. I actually wondered if I should ring Telecom to see if it was kosher or not. If we get a reminder on the power bill, which happens very sometimes, it is 0000 which is from Oz. The accent gives it away also.[^]

Crikey, I wonder how they think outsourcing to Aussie would be cheaper when our employer on costs and responsibilities such as 9% industry super are far in excess of NZ employment obligations?

More
15 years 10 months ago #189474 by max2
Friends in Sydney just purchased a new F & P stainless steel fridge for a very good price and were offered the ice making one at the basic price. Apparently F & P are trying to empty their stocks quickly....

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds