Mahinarangi Tocker has died

More
14 years 2 months ago #12122 by Ghilly
Kim called me in tonight. She'd been looking through tele text and found the news.

I'm just flattened at the news. I can't believe it! She was such an amazing lady! She was just fantastic in concert and a loving wonderful person.

I might not see her from one year to the next but whenever I did, she would always open her arms for a hug.

I feel so much sadness for her whanau.

I have several of her CD's and also the Kiri Te Kanawa CD which Mahina sang on. I watched the TV programme of the making of the CD which was just amazing, so much energy and all the singers were just so onto it as a group.

Mahinarangi will be sadly missed by so many.

Kim also just mentioned Mahinarangi had been given the NZOM (NZ Order of Merit) I never knew, she wasn't one to blow her own trumpet.

We won free tickets to a concert she had in Titirangi for the Titirangi music festival. It was the last time I saw her. It was one of those concerts that you didn't want to end. She was so bloody good at what she did and made everyone in the audience feel like they were part of the performance just by being there. So unassuming.

Even though I didn't see her very often, I am going to miss her.

We shared a secret many years ago. I was sitting just behind her on the grass at a music festival at Whare Flat near Dunedin. I heard her mention Julie Andrews and just had to say something. She whispered to me that she was a Julie Andrews fan as well. From then one it was a knowing wink and a smile whenever we saw each other.

Farewell Mahinarangi and thanks for your gift to the music world.

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #187990 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Mahinarangi Tocker has died
Aye. Sudden and sad.

More
14 years 2 months ago #188212 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Mahinarangi Tocker has died
Who?

More
14 years 2 months ago #188345 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Mahinarangi Tocker has died
She was a NZ singer/songwriter, a lovely person. She was also in the mental health ads on TV, the Maori woman sitting outside (I think she was on a swing seat) holding a baby.

A wonderful performer and just an all round good person.

Last week she had a severe asthma attack that left her on life support. On Monday they turned off the life support and she died yesterday afternoon.

I still can't believe I shall never see her again. :( :( :(

Yakut

More
14 years 2 months ago #188406 by Dream Weaver
Sad, so many go way too soon.

More
14 years 2 months ago #188442 by Birman Babe
Yes, terribly sad.
I dont think many of us are actually aware just how devastating a severe asthma attack can be. I worked with a guy, who'd only been married 3 months, and his new wife died in his arms after having a severe attack at home.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds