Telecom, country exchanges - franklin

More
16 years 2 months ago #12071 by max2
A light dawned on us yesterday that if we intend to move across the ditch last 1/4 of the year, we are going to need a telephone.

Knowing our neighbour was refused a 2nd line to their house because of limited exchange facilities, I called Telecom NZ to see if we could lodge a request for telephone number and line for our arrival.
We can do this in Aussie, so Telstra know what demand shall be, and they have to pay a "fine" if it goes over a certain period of time.

I had a lovely operator at Telecom who did what she could under the circumstances to answer my question. The short version is 2 months before we arrive we book a pre-connection request, and she "thinks" as it takes a month to build on existing exchanges should they be full, they will do it for us. however we might also find one not available at all.[:0]

My cynical side was flashing warning lights and so I asked why would they build onto an old exchange just for us, when they won't for our neighbour who wants/needs two lines.
She said they will for people without any home line, but not for those with an existing line. They will however add more lines to the exchange at the time so they don't have to keep coming back and forth to the exchange when they receive our request and eventually others....

So how does this info tally with your experiences? Should I rely on it or just be cynical and expect not to have a telephone line and number until someone leaves the area? It would appear that I cannot reserve the landline that was present in our home prior to the fire.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #186990 by oskatd
Telecom are at the start of a huge expansion programme to upgrade, replace and install new cabinets throughout the country. Never know, you might be lucky.... ;)

More
16 years 2 months ago #187015 by wyseyes
Ask the same question of Vodaphone/ihug NZ. They are in direct competition with Telecom/XTRA, and provide the same services (Home phone line, Internet, mobile phone services). Yes the will still need the telecom exchanges, but they may be able to push harder for the lines and service. They may also be able to push for the better planning in advance.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
16 years 2 months ago #187025 by Pumpkingirl
I have heard of that happening in some parts of Franklin a couple of years ago (I know Ararimu was quite bad for a while), with people literally having to wait for someone to disconnect a line before they could nab one.

Haven't heard that story recently, but then Ararimu is a long way from you Swaggie :D , and it wouldn't surprise me, what with all the old, old exchange boxes around Franklin.

I personally tried (and succeeded) to find someone other than Telecom too. Telecom charge you $500 to "connect" you - even if you've laid all the lines and even dug the blimmin' trench right up to their cable (which I carefully did!) Then they sting you for rental in advance and high monthly line rentals. I'm not a fan, can you guess? :D

They also insist these days that they will not connect a line that is not laid to their EXACT specifications. The biggie for me (and I suspect for you) is that my lines were laid a few years ago, to their former specifications. Now they want the whole cable to be in a protective conduit pipe (green in the trench, white coming up to the house, don't ask me why the colours have to be different!)... and if it's not, their contractors can (and do!) refuse to hook you up until you've rectified it, at your cost. They will then offer to give you an extortionate quote!

As it turned out, I didn't need to hook up a physical phone line and I was so pleased not to have to pay money to Telecom :D So the cables are there, I just don't use them.

More
16 years 2 months ago #187043 by GrantK

swaggie;159114 wrote: A light dawned on us yesterday that if we intend to move across the ditch last 1/4 of the year, we are going to need a telephone.

Do you have Vodafone coverage out at your block Swaggie?

I know we talked about this before, but I can't remember the answer [?] [?] [?]

It doesn't need to be brilliant coverage, just acceptable GSM voice coverage, that's all. This coverage checker says that Port Waikato has 68% coverage:

www.vodafone.co.nz/shop/connections/vodafone-at-home.jsp

The reason I ask is that Vodafone have a special deal going at the moment which would save you heaps of $$$ if you can take advantage of it:

www.vodafone.co.nz/home-phone-and-broadb...phone-plus/index.jsp

For $99, they will provide one of these boxes:

Then you pay $40 per month for Unlimited Local and National calling :D

That's a very good deal which you will be hard-pressed to equal, but it is all contingent on having reasonable Vodafone coverage at your place.

You already have the Broadband area covered thanks to your Telecom Data Card, so by using Vodafone At Home for the phone side of things, it should give you the complete package for a minimal outlay of $99 compared to the $500 it would cost you to get a phone line connected.

After the initial connection, your monthly cost of $40 is also a little cheaper than a landline, and you get unlimited Local and National calls thrown in for free!

Has to be worth a look, don't you think [?]

P.S. I just had a look at the International Rates which apply to this type of connection because I figure you'll be making quite a few calls back to Oz :)

International calling rates

Cost of calls to landline per minute: $0.25 (Capped rate up to 2 hours $2.75)
Cost of calls to mobile per minute: $0.59

That looks quite reasonable too don't you think, especially the $2.75 capped call for up to 2 hours :cool:

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
16 years 2 months ago #187086 by powerguy
Swaggie, I went through this years ago when hooking in down here. The problem for us was not the exchange capacity but the cable coming up our valley. Telecom fought like buggery to keep us off but where there is a will there is a way!

Eventually we got a line but it is what is called multiplexed. We have a 12 pair cable running 20 phones in our valley. They fit a box on the end of the cable and that lets it run 2 phones. The computer down at the exchange talks to the box and it switches between the two lines very quickly. For voice it does not matter but for data the speeds are real crap! Unfortunately I have no other options for internet here (no, the sattelite is blocked by a mountain!) and have to put up with download speeds of 2.2 - 3kB/s.

So, check what measures they will be putting in place to cater for your demand as it may have other effects on what you plan to do there.

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
16 years 2 months ago #187138 by max2
Many thanks for your thoughts Folks!

PowerGuy apart from saying that they "will?" build on at the old exchange for us, the operators cannot go into any further detail as the info isn't available to them, and the person who she spoke to also said they wouldn't know until we made application....

PumpkinGirl, the situation is similar for us in that the cable is already underground for when the burned house was connected, so I suspect you would be right and that they will want it upgraded at our cost....[:0] and then they would cancel our application until the cabling matter was sorted.
So that would waste 2 months of waitlisting....

Grant, our mobile Vodafone coverage is mixed signal at the burned house area - generally signal received near the cow shed, but little to non existant nearer the house area, and non existant further down the road, where we would be (in 4 years when we have sold the aussie house*) transferring our home base..... but that is a great plan for sure!

In Aussie we can also have our authorised electricians pre wire a house for telephone, is it the same in NZ?

* Our property market remains stuffed in NSW, everyone is downsizing mortgages and homes, no business confidence at all.
We have been back on the market now for over 6 weeks with 1 looker and it wasn't what he wanted anyhow, so resigned to the fact we are going to rent it out until 2012 when the market is "predicted" to pick up again...

More
16 years 2 months ago #187153 by max2

Pumpkingirl;159154 wrote:
They also insist these days that they will not connect a line that is not laid to their EXACT specifications. The biggie for me (and I suspect for you) is that my lines were laid a few years ago, to their former specifications. Now they want the whole cable to be in a protective conduit pipe (green in the trench, white coming up to the house, don't ask me why the colours have to be different!)... and if it's not, their contractors can (and do!) refuse to hook you up until you've rectified it, at your cost. They will then offer to give you an extortionate quote!

As it turned out, I didn't need to hook up a physical phone line and I was so pleased not to have to pay money to Telecom :D So the cables are there, I just don't use them.

I am worried now and only because of this thread did I even think about it, when we were asked to do the material specs for the rebuild (house fire), I didn't even consider about writing things down like telephone line and connections....

The tender doesn't expire until later this week, so I can email everyone that I know is involved, but I am worried that I have left other things out instead.
Wonder who will cover the cost of replacing those things because something might not appear in my specs that I had to prepare 2200 klms away?:confused::confused:[:0][xx(]

More
16 years 2 months ago #187171 by Pumpkingirl
It's a tricky one aye. I had the MOST obnoxious contractor come out initially when I asked to be hooked up (before I went for wireless).

He turned up a day early and it just so happened by sheer fluke I was there (waiting for the vet). He came marching up to me, demanded to know why I hadn't opened the house for him and when I said he was a day early and I was BUSY he just wandered off. Five minutes later he came back and told me, quite rudely "well, that was a wasted trip, you have no conduit around your cable, so it doesn't fit spec, so I can't install anything anyway."

I asked what the bollocks he was talking about, the cable had been laid by us after ringing Telecom and CHECKING what their specs were. But that was three years ago and this new rule came in sometime after that. He also told me the main Telecom cable was on the other side of the road to me. I suggested, very politely, that perhaps he should check his map, as I had done, and that the map showed it was on MY side. He told me I couldn't read a map!!! So I told him - very politely I might add - that I'd just built a ruddy house and I was certain I could read a map.

They sent out an entire team of contractors with a special machine to put the cable under the road, only to find out when they arrived on site... oh my gosh, the cable was on my side. Shocking!!

Swaggie, as it turns out, a different technician came out to do the roadside bit, and he connected it, no problem (and there was no conduit). But after my treatment by the first guy and their obvious money-grubbing, I decided to forgo Telecom anyway.

However, Dad and I had had a cunning plan in regards to the conduit. We dug up the first couple of metres of cable coming up to the house, put the green conduit on it (by cutting it, then taping it up). Then we did the same with the white conduit.

We made it so if someone tries to pull the white conduit (to check if it's connected), they won't be able to (because we've used tape to attach the green and white pipes).

So what they don't know won't hurt them. They're saying if someone is digging, they'll cut the line - so us "retro-fitting" the conduit is fine by my count, because it's not for water-proofing reasons.

And I personally filled in all 100m of that blasted trench and I certainly won't be cutting it! Nor selling, before anyone says "what about when you sell." My blood and guts are here and we're all staying put for a long, long time.

Gosh, this is a grumpy post :D

This is what we did when we laid the trench originally. A digger dug the trench to about 1200mm. We put down the power cable, buried it in fine gravel, placed orange warning tape on top of it, more gravel, then dirt for about 300mm, them more gravel, then Telecom cable, then more gravel, then more warning tape tape, then more gravel, and finally dirt.

You'd have to be totally daft to cut it. Also, it's significantly deeper than required (I think it only has to be 400mm, although don't quote me!). Mine is at about 900mm deep.

Swaggie, to be honest, they'll give you a huge quote, but you can do it yourself, for a fraction of the price - don't let them tell you that you can't, cos it's crap. It took my digger man about 35 minutes to dig the trench, and it took us the rest of the day to lay it, put in gravel etc (it was a hot day :D so we were a bit slow. The conduit is pretty cheap, the cable isn't too bad (although find a friendly electrician and it's MUCH cheaper).

They originally quoted me something like $3000 (this was three years ago), and I think we did it (with our own labour) for about $750. That's 100m from the Telecom cable to the house. So I'd probably add $500 or so for conduit pipe (and their price at the time didn't include the conduit pipe, 'cos it wasn't part of their specifications!!).

They're thieves. And it depends on the contractor. Some are lovely, some are pr**ks.

Oh, and there are independant contractors who can do it, if you don't want to. The only advantage of getting a cable-laying contractor to do it for you is if you have a steep hill. They have these neat machines that can go up almost vertically and lay cable. Now, that would be worth it I think.

More
16 years 2 months ago #187176 by max2
Many thanks PG for your thoughts and experiences.! :) Sounds like hell, all too hard just to get a telephone on.....:confused: and it stuns me we are only 45 minutes door to gate from the airport.... not in some really remote area of NZ. (granted that some suburbs of Auckland are still in the backwater for broadband). Geeese....

At our final resting place :D :D [;)], its 350m odd metres off the "paper road", crikey knows how far from the "official road", although where Franklin Council services maybe about another 150 metres?... anyhow it would be our preference to take the same telephone number etc with us in 4 years time (hell, who's counting....[;)]) so perhaps I should continue to think outside of the telecom "square" and get a vodafone techy down there to investigate....? assuming that is the supplier "some" of you are using?

More
16 years 2 months ago #187358 by GrantK

swaggie;159276 wrote: Grant, our mobile Vodafone coverage is mixed signal at the burned house area - generally signal received near the cow shed

Keep in mind that you can locate the Vodafone At Home box anywhere that power is available e.g. the Cow Shed and then do one of 2 things:

- Run a phone cable back to your house
- Use a long-range Cordless Phone and have your phone service available all around your property

Either way, it will save you many hundreds of $$$ compared to installing a Telecom line, and then you make ongoing savings as well :cool:

More
16 years 2 months ago #187384 by max2

GrantK;159499 wrote: Keep in mind that you can locate the Vodafone At Home box anywhere that power is available e.g. the Cow Shed and then do one of 2 things:

- Use a long-range Cordless Phone and have your phone service available all around your property

Either way, it will save you many hundreds of $$$ compared to installing a Telecom line, and then you make ongoing savings as well :cool:

Hmmm, food for thought.. many thanks Grant!

More
16 years 2 months ago #187453 by Pumpkingirl

GrantK;159499 wrote:

That is a brilliant idea. On my parent's farm, the house is a long way from the sheds, and if my Dad is down there, it's impossible to get hold of him unless you trudge all the way up the back of the farm.

Then Mum brought a long-range (600m I think) cordless phone, Dad extended the aerial a bit, and it works like a charm.

More
16 years 2 months ago #187499 by GrantK

Pumpkingirl;159602 wrote: Then Mum brought a long-range (600m I think) cordless phone, Dad extended the aerial a bit, and it works like a charm.

We have a similar phone system here and it's called a Voyager. I bought an outdoor aerial as part of the deal with 10m of cable and it's mounted on our roof.

With that setup, we can call from house to house, handset to handset or use the outside phone line over a distance of about 2km depending on the height of the place you are talking from. Obviously there are some places buried deep in the bush at the extremes of our property where coverage is a bit scratchy, but by using a small telescopic aerial screwed into the handset, and moving a metre or two in either direction, you can talk almost anywhere within that 2km range.

It gives far more reliable coverage than a mobile phone at our place, and by the sounds of it, Swaggie would be in a similar predicament.

More
16 years 2 months ago #187666 by max2
That's another point, communication around the farm. We have hand held uniden units for when anyone is heading up the back, as I start to worry if I cannot hear the bike going around, or E is playing up the front by herself in her bush cubby. There are "holes" and a spot up the very back where no one can be reached.

I have been wondering if base communication units are available with a better outdoor aerial to pick up the hand held units...

(One of our builders tendering for the rebuild went out to the burned house yesterday and confirmed the Telecom wiring is as they require, so that is something no one has to factor in with the tender process).

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds