i dont believe it

More
14 years 2 months ago #12039 by rob
i dont believe it was created by rob
for the first time ever, we are getting 50.6k on dial up,[:0] who says you need broadband with speeds like this one:rolleyes:

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #186487 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic i dont believe it
Mine says 115.2kbps and I don't believe that either!

More
14 years 2 months ago #186500 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic i dont believe it
Rob, have you considered Wired Country? You have a repeater just above Pukekohe and it's only $10 per month more than what I was paying for dial-up!

Marvellous, wouldn't go back, and I so LOVE not paying my hard-earned money to Telecom.

More
14 years 2 months ago #186501 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic i dont believe it
42.6 and slow as a wet week :-) Mmmm, on saying that, we havent had a wet week for awhile either...

More
14 years 2 months ago #186508 by rob
Replied by rob on topic i dont believe it
hi pkg,
do you have a website i can look at and get more info

thanks

Rob

More
14 years 2 months ago #186514 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic i dont believe it
Sure thing, "Wired Country" is now part of a company called Compass.

www.compass.co.nz

I started off on their cheapest wireless plan (1GB per month, $45 I think, my only broadband option due to dud rural phone lines).

But I quickly realised I was going to use up way more data than that because I could finally see all these websites that I'd never been able to before. Youtube has been the big one for me, it's heaps of fun. And you save so much time, I never realised how much time I wasted waiting for my dial-up to download the most simple of pages.

If you decide it's for you, Compass do a site test (you must have line-of-sight with their transmitter, ie no trees in the way) BUT if you can't get a signal, you pay nothing, it's all free.

i'm currently sitting here on 100MB per second... and I too used to get excited if I got over 48.0kbps. So you can see why I'm a convert, plus I can use it for phone calls as well - it's only a bit more each month and I can be online and talking on the phone at the same time.

So, here's my example. I'm on a 5GB plan (that means I can use up to 5GB worth of surfing in a month) and their phone "line" plan, which this month, with calls, in total came to $90.

Compare that with Telecom, who were going to charge me $500 to hook up the phone line, two months rental in advance ($130) and then $50 per month line rental, PLUS calls...

AND THEN... to get broadband with them, my only option would have been their mobile broadband. That's $450 for the data card and then the 5GB plan is $90 a month, plus it's only 256kbps, which is fast but NOTHING on 100 MB per second.

$90 a month to Compass for phone and broadband, versus $150-odd a month with Telecom, and not as good service. No contest.

I should note there was a joining fee with Compass, $250 to install the dish etc, although I got a discount on that due to a few technical things that happened with my installation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #186547 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic i dont believe it
pumpkingirl - I have done the opposite having been with Wired Country for years via ihug. There was no way that I could have accessed Utube without huge delays. Communications with Compass left me cold (knowing they had a huge turnover of staff) and with a mild hearing problem was struggling to communicate with their staff.

I picked up on the ihug free broadband for a year with phone and my total bill for both (including unlimited calling anywhere in NZ (2 hour cap) and Australia is costing me around $70 per month total. Mobile calls are additional but that is all. No - I don't get 1MB but am getting over 2300kb and it is enough to watch utube uninterupted so I am happy. The only issue I now have is that ihug have sold out to Vodaphone and for the first time I am getting spam mails but if they continue - I will cancel! I was told that as I was already with ihug, the 12 month contract does not apply. That offer has expired but I didn't have to pay any set up costs either so I think it pays to shop around or wait a bit longer for the next round of deals. Just my penny's worth.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds