Another shite weekend

More
14 years 2 months ago #11973 by spoook
Another shite weekend was created by spoook
I am sitting here in Ak hospital besides my father that could be taken at any moment. He has been in since last Friday and I have had a week of dramas, emotional ups and downs and sleepless nights.
This is not a good place to be right now.
Anyway, I bought my laptop in to keep the family in touch with what happens. Good move eh??? So I thought.
I have, embarrased to admit, Vista. The other weekend I could not connetc to IE at Kate's and we spent ages trying to sort it out.
It turned out it was the darn auto update for Vista that is somewhat no compatible with IE.
Well after much gnashing of teeth and wailing and hair pulling, I did a system restore.
Wonderful !!!! It worked like a real one............ until just now.
I was composing a very hard email to the family around the world and windowsm update popped up it's head to say it wanted to update. I postponed!!
Got to about the end, attended to my father and FFS, the update started to take over and restart the system.!!!!!
Needless to say, I have lost my email and..............
IE did not work again!!!!!!
So system restore once again and we are ok....... for now. I think I will turn off auto updates before it gets me again.
So what do I do about it??? I know update to XP!!! Anyother options???
I need something to keep me occupied, I am playing a waiting game.:(

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #185289 by The Kats Place
our thoughts are with you - big hugs.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 2 months ago #185292 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Another shite weekend
Spoook, sending our love your way (((hugs)))

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 2 months ago #185293 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic Another shite weekend
Oh dear spoook, lots of purrs from us all here as well...

More
14 years 2 months ago #185301 by Louise W
Replied by Louise W on topic Another shite weekend
Can't help with the puter problem Spoookers but wanted to send you a BIG SQUEEZY CUDDLE from Amy and a (((HUG))) from me. Take care mate and know that I'm thinking of you.

xxx

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK

More
14 years 2 months ago #185304 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Another shite weekend
Thanks guys, I need something right now. This is not easy.
Looks like it could be a long, long night.
My nephew has just arrived, he may end up staying the night too, will see how he feels.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
14 years 2 months ago #185306 by Giddyup
Replied by Giddyup on topic Another shite weekend
Spoook turn off auto updates or reload win98. Then... google internet checkers. Great time waster and will take your mind off things for a while.
Go on the easy checkers - that way you can beat gormless people around the world and feel good :D
Hope things improve for you and yours

15 acres, 9 horses, 7 sheep, 50 chickens, 1 jersey cow, 3 black cats, 1 border/beardie cross, 2 cockateils, several possums and....3 teenagers[}:)]

More
14 years 2 months ago #185308 by Louise W
Replied by Louise W on topic Another shite weekend
Scrabulous is another good 'un or you could join facebook if you haven't already and track down old friends!!!

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK

More
14 years 2 months ago #185314 by HarryPotter
Replied by HarryPotter on topic Another shite weekend
Our thoughts are with you at this time too Spook. Power to you and your family.
HP

Sharing the pad with Harry the Australian Terrorist, Penny the Bearded Collie, Bev the Schnauzer/beardie and her daughters Nellie and Charlotte. (Dad was a Hungarian Vizsla) + lots of chooks. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
14 years 2 months ago #185319 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic Another shite weekend
Big Hugs and loving thoughts to you and your family.

More
14 years 2 months ago #185325 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Another shite weekend

spoook;157314 wrote: I think I will turn off auto updates before it gets me again.
So what do I do about it??? I know update to XP!!! Anyother options???

Hi Spoook,

Very sorry to hear about your Dad :( My thoughts are with you too.

Meanwhile, I would disable Auto Updates completely for a while. Maybe Microsoft will fix the problem in the meantime. They only roll out updates on a monthly basis under normal circumstances.

The trade-off you will be making is as follows:

- If some miscreant discovers an "exploit" for a vulnerability in Windows, and Microsoft develops a patch for it (as they normally do), then they will make it available via the Auto Update service.

- If, in the meantime, you visit a compromised web site which has been infected with code exploiting the said vulnerability, your laptop could also be infected.

Knowing the careful kind of person you are, I think that the chances of this happening are fairly remote. So, I would wait say 3 months or so, and then enable auto updates again and see what happens. If IE stops working again, you can always do a rollback as you have recently done.

At that point you can decide what to do, as by then there may be some solution available from Telecom, or someone else may have worked out a way to fix it. I will keep my eyes peeled for any mention of this.

I hope that reassures you a little. Take Care and I will be thinking of you and your Dad.

Cheers,
Grant.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 2 months ago #185333 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Another shite weekend
spook - so sorry to hear about your Dad and the issues you are having to deal with. My thoughts are with you.

In regards to Vista - she will probably kill me (Kim) but email Yakut from this site and ask if Kim could have a look at it for you. Kim is gorgeous and helped me out when I was struggling! I am on Vista also and not having any problems at all - mind I have not downloaded the BIG update. Decided to wait and keep googling to check on the problems before I do it.

Not quite understanding the IE issue as I use IE with no problems. We can't keep apologising for Vista and fighting it as I know more people now who are happy with it than aren't. The one Vista program that is not what it is supposed to be (really a convoluted XP) is Vista Home Basic and guess what I have!!

One other thought is to ensure you have your auto updates set to only download critical and important updates and to set the time. If you are opening your laptop, I believe it will try and download the previous days stuff if you haven't already done it so maybe you have to let it do that before you do anything else. Mind I don't understand why that would interfere with an email. I'm also not using a laptop. Is it set to update in the background? Slows it down but lets you get on with other stuff. I am no computer buff but getting a reasonable handle on Vista and I'm OK with it.

One comment regarding Grant's thread - I have had 11 Windows updates in March, mostly to do with Windows Defender (Security) plus Office and E-mail so I wouldn't be turning off updates but rather working out how to manage them. You so don't need this right now. You are welcome to use my computer in Bombay if it is of any help! A bed for the night - whatever.

More
14 years 2 months ago #185334 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Another shite weekend
Sorry no help with the pooter, hopefully GrantK or someone else knowledgeable about vista will log in...but hugs to you and L..and look after yourself as well as looking after everyone else :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
14 years 2 months ago #185342 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Another shite weekend

DiDi;157362 wrote: One comment regarding Grant's thread - I have had 11 Windows updates in March, mostly to do with Windows Defender (Security) plus Office and E-mail...

What I was meaning there DiDi is that Microsoft usually release a Batch of updates all at once on one particular day of the month (usually a Wednesday morning NZ time).

I got around 7 updates IIRC during March for Windows XP, so you got a few more than me, but as I remember, there was only one which was rated Critical with most of the others being for stuff like the Malware Removal Tool, which has never performed any useful purpose on any of my PCs.

I agree that it's better to be safe than sorry, but Spoook isn't in the habit of visiting dodgy web sites, so I very much doubt that she will fall victim to any Windows Vulnerability in the next 3 months or so.

As you have said yourself, Spoook so doesn't need this sort of grief from Windows right now... :(

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 2 months ago #185345 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Another shite weekend
Great Big HUGS from all of us here too Spoook ..
Hang in there and God Bless.

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.283 seconds