ACC vs Sickness

More
14 years 4 months ago #186213 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic ACC vs Sickness
I think we all agree that a company must make a proffit - simple economics.

I dont know about human drugs but I can tell you with animal drugs (which are not subsidised) certain drug companies rip off the consumer big time.

May years ago a new NSAID drug for dogs with arthritis came on the market called Zenecarp. It was manufactured/marketed by a company in NZ called Pitman Moore. The drug was reasonabley priced at about 80 cents per tablet to vet clients. The drug went off the market due to it being bought up by Pfizer. When it came back on the market it was in a flash new bottle, new name, with new labels (to meet requirements with the change of company) but the tablets had doubled in price!

When I questioned a rep from Pfizer I was informed the price increase was to cover research, marketing and devlopment. Yeah right - the only extra cost at this stage was the cost of buying the drug from the other company and re labeling and registering the drug - yes expensive, but Pfizer at that stage sure as hell hadnt done any reseach in developing the drug and they certainly didnt need to market it as it was well known by vets as to just how good the drug was at the time.

Certainly Pfizer have since developed this drug further and made different methods of dispensing available but initially I can see no justification for the first huge price hike. Especially as any new animal drugs are under patent and a generic cannot be produced by another company till the patent expires. Pfizer had the market monopoly and made full use of it. Big $$$ !

No doubt similar things happen with human drugs.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #186240 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic ACC vs Sickness
What I don't understand is the reason behind pricing difference between generic branding and a "name" pharmacutical brand (I am spelling pharmacutical wrong and its driving me nuts) and so when I hear of Midge's* example, I wonder about the true cost of the product, esp. if there are no other suppliers around to offer the same product.

To hear that Patents protect the production of similarly manufactured drugs I think sux big time.
I can understand them wanting to protect their packet design or branding, but a medicine, no, that's cruel.

Perhaps if it were open season for all businesses..... maybe then the original licencing "fees" will be forced down as others share in the original fee and developmental costs....

Are there any other businesses that operate in such a protected environment?

* Midge sorry to keep using you as my example.

More
14 years 4 months ago #186255 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic ACC vs Sickness
[}:)] No need to worry - we'll all soon be getting our medications from China from non-English speaking manufacturers, dished out by non-English speaking nurses with REALLY clear labels as to what we should do with it!

In case you are wondering and getting mortified at my "red neck" position - it was in The New Zealand Herald this morning about Chinese nurses being brought in to fill the huge shortage of nurses. The 1800 allowed into this country for three years do not have to be able to speak English. Say what? So how many will be nurses?

Hey there may be a upside for those of you in pain. If we are supporting Chinese medicine (which apparantly we will be) maybe it is a short step to prescribing Cannabis for pain relief. NO I don't use it - but I hear it is very good pain relief. Could be a new LSB industry!

• maggies mum
14 years 4 months ago #186257 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic ACC vs Sickness
Yeeeaaaaaahhhhh maaaaaaaaaaaannnnn! ;)

More
14 years 4 months ago #186261 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic ACC vs Sickness

DiDi;158333 wrote: [}:)] No need to worry - we'll all soon be getting our medications from China from non-English speaking manufacturers, dished out by non-English speaking nurses with REALLY clear labels as to what we should do with it!

In case you are wondering and getting mortified at my "red neck" position - it was in The New Zealand Herald this morning about Chinese nurses being brought in to fill the huge shortage of nurses. The 1800 allowed into this country for three years do not have to be able to speak English. Say what? So how many will be nurses?

Hey there may be a upside for those of you in pain. If we are supporting Chinese medicine (which apparantly we will be) maybe it is a short step to prescribing Cannabis for pain relief. NO I don't use it - but I hear it is very good pain relief. Could be a new LSB industry!

Yep read the same article on line too.... I dunno what the answer is, I know Aussie loses a lot of their young up and comings overseas to make their short term money and then all return "home", and I think its a natural progression..

but why accept only one "nationality" is my question, esp. when so many english speaking people are trying to get in. That vexes me and One has to wonder what the trade off really was for the free trade agreement, eh.:rolleyes:

Let's request the immigration questionaire to include what is a jandal, and how fast/slow can you drive over the harbour bridge without your warnings lights flashing**? That should sort quite a few out.[;)] :)

** personal experience and "amusement" on Auckland's harbour bridge.

More
14 years 4 months ago #186407 by Midge
Replied by Midge on topic ACC vs Sickness
I don't mind being made an example of Swaggie[;)] But would just like to add that if better meds had been available to me earlier, I wouldn't be in this position now. Our health system is all up the whopp. I doubt I'll be able to contribute much to the countries coffers in the years ahead.

From what I've read, I think dope must be legal to use as a painkiller in the States already, is it? No good to me anyway, it makes me nauseous. And, as it makes one very hungry and lazy, I'd be carting round a lot more than the extra 10 kgs I'm presently carting.

Non English speaking nurses - what a great help they'll be to our already ailing health system - not :(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Cheers[:)]
www.jerseycows.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds