Moving UK Television sets to NZ?

• Sue
14 years 3 months ago #11859 by Sue
Can any of you recent arrivals from UK let me know whether UK TV sets work over here? My brother, who is presently trying to decide what to pack and what to leave behind has been given some conflicting advice.

Also any other moving tips would be appreciated.
One removal compnay said all wood and basketware was a no, no. Another company says it all gets fumigated in the container on arrival any way. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #183474 by reggit
Have no idea about the TV side of things, Sue, but as far as the rest goes, get him to check www.biosecurity.govt.nz/personal-travel-...o-nz/your-belongings

Looks like cane and wood stuff needs to be declared:

"These items are NOT necessarily prohibited, but they require inspection. In many instances a declaration as to the state of manufacture may lift this requirement. Our inspections are generally to determine cleanliness and the presence or otherwise of insects or prohibited items."

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 3 months ago #183478 by GBpeter
See uk2nz.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3124&highlight=television

If he searches on that forum he will find answers to all his MAF questions too

• maggies mum
14 years 3 months ago #183481 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Moving UK Television sets to NZ?
We didn't bring our TV we were told it wouldn't work.
We had to have available for inspection by MAF:
Cane furniture
Bicycles
Garden furniture
Golf clubs
Christmas decorations

When we asked why they needed to look at the xmas decs, they said they were looking for pine cones! Oh we aint got none of those! When he opened the box we had loads! LOL I forgot they were on my garlands! OOps. He nearly left without them too!

More
14 years 3 months ago #183497 by oskatd
As far as I am aware your UK tele won't work here, unless you bring your UK dvd player to watch your UK dvds - which most likely won't play in NZ players..... Same if they have UK Playstation, X-Box etc, I think most of the games are zoned.

• maggies mum
14 years 3 months ago #183499 by maggies mum
Ah yep brought the video recorder. DVD players here are multi region so play our UK DVDs. MD brought his playstation and had no problems with it.

More
14 years 3 months ago #183502 by reggit
The DVD players you buy here have to come only allowing a certain zone to be played - some selling requirement - but they also come with instructions on how to override this so that you can play DVDs from any zone...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

• maggies mum
14 years 3 months ago #183504 by maggies mum
Oh! Our DVD we bought here plays all of ours! And we didnt do anything special

More
14 years 3 months ago #183505 by betenoir
Same here...both my nz brought video player and DVD player play all my UK videos and DVDs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
14 years 3 months ago #183542 by Kiwi303
I think NZ and UK use the same zone... but the US and canada use a different zone and Asia uses yet another...

Part of our colonial heritage :D still sharing things with the mother country I guess :D

Isn't the UK TV broadcast NTSC and our broadcast PAL? a lot of TVs are switchable on a setup menu somewhere in their makeup, our Mitsubishi Black Diamond is anyway.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

• maggies mum
14 years 3 months ago #183546 by maggies mum
Nope UK & NZ are different zones

More
14 years 3 months ago #183576 by GBpeter

Kiwi303;155455 wrote: I think NZ and UK use the same zone... but the US and canada use a different zone and Asia uses yet another...

Part of our colonial heritage :D still sharing things with the mother country I guess :D

Isn't the UK TV broadcast NTSC and our broadcast PAL? a lot of TVs are switchable on a setup menu somewhere in their makeup, our Mitsubishi Black Diamond is anyway.

In New Zealand the TV picture standard is PAL same as the UK, so no problem there. However the sound standard in NZ is PAL-B/G, in the UK it's PAL-I. So no sound.

However, if the TV is not code switchable (most modern TVs are) it will work through an NZ DVD player or by using a Sky box

DVD regional codes are fairly unimportant as DVD players if set to 'NZ only' are easily changed to multi region.

More
14 years 3 months ago #183577 by rob
for the price of tv's now is it worth the hassle?

Rob

More
14 years 3 months ago #183580 by oskatd
You can be sure they are a whole lot cheaper in the UK! And a lot more advanced - so probably!

Our cheap DSE dvd player will play literally any DVD, damaged (up to a point) and from all over the world. Seems the more expensive ones are a little more fussy!

More
14 years 3 months ago #183588 by GBpeter

oskatd;155499 wrote: You can be sure they are a whole lot cheaper in the UK! And a lot more advanced - so probably! ...

Plasma screens don't 'travel' well so that might be a factor if it is one. Unlike NZ, not much of a second hand market in the UK - so usually the advice is - bring everything!

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds