IPODS

• Toni - Northland
14 years 3 months ago #11855 by Toni - Northland
IPODS was created by Toni - Northland
Ok, I have had my ipod since Jan and can now put songs on it and have figured out how to put photos on there. On the ipod itself is a thing for audiobooks. How do I put audiobooks into audiobooks. [:I][:I][:I][:I][:I]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #183450 by rob
Replied by rob on topic IPODS
can you get an ipod with radio combined?

Rob

More
14 years 3 months ago #183471 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic IPODS
I assume you're using iTunes also? Your audiobooks need to be classified as such in iTunes, and when you sync you need to also (obviously) sync audiobooks, not just your music files and/or photo files.

I'm not very good at explaining things - does that help or not? If not, perhaps you could be more specific about your problem? Can you get your audiobooks onto your ipod, but they're just not in 'audiobooks' on your ipod? Are they classified as audiobooks in iTunes? Or, are you not getting your audiobooks onto your ipod?

As an aside ... where are you getting your audiobooks? Are you buying them from iTunes? They're so expensive ... There is LibriVox where I have had a look previously for some audiobooks. The longer books are split into 'sections' but I have found them to be a good alternative. Just a thought.

• Toni - Northland
14 years 3 months ago #183475 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic IPODS
Prim, I haven't got any from anywhere. I was wondering if those ones you can get from the libraries can be put on. I didn't know you could download them. I am using itunes and with dialup it takes 30 mins to download a song even. I have mostly got my cds on it. On the actual ipod it has a class for Audiobooks. I have nearly thrown the whole bloody lot out the window as it id. On the itunes page bit it has at the top, under library, music, movies, tv shows, podcast, radio. Just checked and it has podcasts on the ipod also. Don't even know what that is. Talk about computer dumb. My kids keep telling me old people shouldn't mess with technology. :)

More
14 years 3 months ago #183543 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic IPODS
Nah you're not dumb, the instructions are bloody useless! But you can download and save to your computer the full instructions. I think from memory they go for about 60 pages, and its worthwhile doing it first......

So after my hassle with buying E a chinese imiation thinking it was an iIpod, she has a proper one now.

I would also recommend downloading iTunes as well from Apple (make sure you download for NZ, I had all sorts of hassles with the gift voucher system because it kept refusing ours because I was on the american site and not aussie and teh voucher was aussie) anyhow, E wanted some of her CD's on the iPod so I put the CD's into my CD's drive on the computer, and used the iTunes programme to copy them over.

I then selected (via a tick in the box) the songs I wanted to download and deleted the rest.

However, from the little use I have had of it, your Ipod will download everything that is in your iTunes account, so be prepared to create new folders for each category of "entertainment" for instance E plays saxophone and when I downloaded her sax training music into iTunes, I created a new folder in iTunes so she recognises it as that folder and she doesn't have to select that to play, but can go to another folder I created to listen to her saddle club music instead.

Think of it as a big filing system and its up to you to create the folders and name them as you wish, then you can select whatever folder on the Ipod (because it copies them every time you are connected to iTunes) to listen to, rather than listen to everything there.

If someone gives you an iTunes gift voucher, you can "credit" your iTunes account from the voucher and download songs that you like, rather than entire albums.

However I have also gleaned that if you download and then delete a song from iTunes after transferring it to your ipod, the next time you go to download something new, the old will no longer be there, so keep everything in iTunes that you want on your Ipod.

Have I confused you enough yet?[;)]

• Toni - Northland
14 years 3 months ago #183604 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic IPODS
I got the folders sorted out but now want to condense some of it and also change the names of some of the folders, but can't figure how to do that either. It is registered to NZ, after having a heap of help to do that from a local shop. So far have 35 days worth of songs on it.[:I]

More
14 years 3 months ago #183607 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic IPODS
Toni I manage E's stuff via the iTunes set up on my computer, so it might be worthy of checking that out first.

However I think downloading onto your computer the entire instructions folder would be a boon to you. I go back and forth to ours to check bits out and its helped immensely.

E's Ipod is currently on charge for now, tomorrow if you are stuck I am happy to try and help once she is off to school and I am back here.

More
14 years 3 months ago #183836 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic IPODS
Hi Toni

Disclaimer : I'm a learner too. Most oftentimes I can get things to do what I want/need them to do. Sometimes I just can't and it's very frustrating!

Second disclaimer : I'm on a Mac, I assume you're on a PC. I assume iTunes is the same for both.

Yes, you ought to be able to put an audiobook from the library into iTunes, and from there put what you want onto your iPod. You don't have to put everything in iTunes onto your iPod (my iPod is 'old' and so is somewhat smaller memory-wise than some of the ones you can buy nowadays, for example). When you plug your iPod in you should get a screen up in iTunes which, there, you can click or unclick what you want to sync.

I have, for example, set up a Playlist called Workouts where I put some Podrunner podcasts (don't worry about what they are - they're just bits of music), but you could set up a new Playlist (or, rename an existing Playlist - double click on it, or perhaps right click on a PC) and drag what you want to put onto your iPod into that Playlist. Then, when you've manually managed what you want to sync (tick the box beside the name of the Playlist when you've got your iPod plugged in) you can just transfer that Playlist and it's contents to your iPod.

Doing this, however, won't put an audiobook under 'Audiobook' on your iPod (at least, it doesn't for me). The audiobook and (eg) podcasts and music will appear under that Playlist's name under 'Music' on your iPod.

I think to have everything appear on your iPod under their right labels (ie audiobooks in audiobooks, podcasts under podcasts, etc) you need to let iTunes and your iPod sync automatically. Which will also mean that everything in iTunes goes onto your iPod. And, when I do that, and I listen to a podcast on my iPod, because it's been listened too and synced next time I sync iTunes and my iPod the podcast disappears off of my iPod. Which I find frustrating.

Oh, a podcast is simply an (eg) interview from Kim Hill's programme which you can listen too after the fact. You can download podcasts which you can listen too to learn French, for example. I personally listen irregularly to MacGeeks podcasts, and I run to Podrunner podcasts. There are a TONNE of them out there - you can have a look at what is available (some cr*p, I assume) on the iTunes store. They're free to download, and take seconds/minutes on broadband. I don't know how long they will take on dial-up, but they may well take an age, if one song takes a half hour (I'm assuming one song = 3 minutes, download = half hour; one podcast can be anywhere up to an hour, download = all night?!).

Um, does that answer some more of your questions? I have never downloaded a purchased audiobook, and I have to confess that when I looked at the New Zealand iTunes' store I couldn't find what I wanted anyway. At the very bottom of 'The Store' page in iTunes, you can click 'My Store' and change to the United States' store - they have so much more stuff available. I wanted the Harry Potter books for my son; they're available in the US but not here. However, they're still US$35 odd, which personally I think is too expensive for what they are. I didn't purchase them.

If you google LibrVox you will find their website. Volunteers read books - seem to be 'classics' and you can download them for free. I downloaded 'The Hunting of the Snark' and Robinson Crusoe (again, for the kids). I assume a purchased audiobook is much better quality and without all the preamble that the LibriVox stuff has. But there is nothing wrong with it. Again, it will probably take an age to download on dial-up.

Is there any way you can download stuff somewhere with broadband and then save a whole lot of it to dvd, to then transfer to your machine at home? GrantK or Amee (?) would need to answer if that would work. It might, but it might not!

Ok, well, I'll stop blithering like an idiot and see if that helps some. Maybe; maybe not.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds