Human expectations - we are a funny lot!

More
14 years 3 months ago #11826 by max2
We're a funny bunch the human race, as employees we expect to be paid above "award" (basic) wages and conditions, if we work overtime we expect to receive over and above our "normal" hourly rate.
We expect to have use of clean toilet facilities (and for someone to be hired to clean them after us), a luncheon/tea area (or even a jug and microwave and woe betide the boss who stops supplying the biscuits!).

If we travel for work reasons, we expect to be reimbursed.

We don't expect our boss to call us at crikey knows what time in the evening/nighttime to tell us we have to be at work immediately (or if we do, we expect "on call" or call out fees to be paid or built into our employment agreement).

We expect our Employer to "find" the money to pay for us to have sickies, public holidays, and even if we decide not to work at all and go on holiday.
We are starting to expect that one day our bosses will pay for maternity leave when we decide to have children. We expect an annual increase in salary and even the odd bonus which we satisfy ourselves that we earned it because of all of our hard work.

We expect and agree to be paid weekly, fortnightly or even monthly, but for the boss to honour it on the day we were told we would be paid and the for right amount, without haggling over the final amount each time before it gets paid.....

When we engage contractors, we call them at all times of night, despite the fact they run a daytime business, mostly usually between 8.00pm - 9.30pm (geese we even had calls at 11.00pm and we don't offer an emergency service).

We expect them to do the best job ever at the cheapest rate possible, and we watch them carefully that they do.
We may even "try" to get them to drop the GST in their prices by offering cash. Then we grizzle when not enough public services are available for our use.

If we have decided to move out of suburbia "to get away from it all", we grizzle at being charged higher fees for those we invite to our properties for working/quoting purposes. We grizzle if no one wants to come to the property in the first instance because its too far out...

If our contractor turns up with a load of water at 9.00pm we don't pay him double time for after hours work, we just expect to be charged the "normal" fee. That is if we bother to pay him at all.....[}:)] and its an absolute boon to him if he gets paid on the spot. but we expect him to have enough diesel in his truck to make it out at all.....

Its rare for us to offer our contractors a cuppa, let alone access to a microwave. Its rarer still to be offered the use of a toilet and washing facilities, despite the fact that once upon a time, agricultural families housed their shearers at shearing time and put on a cooked midday meal for them as well.

If we hear of a contractor/farmer doing poorly we say its his fault and he is doing the wrong thing and shouldn't be undertaking that sort of work on his property.
If we hear he is coming into a bonus we say he is ripping "us" off and its not fair, and its "us" that will end up paying for it.....

Yep, funny lot we humans are indeed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #183017 by reggit
Hmm, some gross generalisations there, swaggie [}:)]

I expect whomever I work for to pay me a reasonable amount for the work I do. In return the work gets done for them to the best of my abilities, and they are able to use that work to their advantage, thus making dollars for themselves over and above what they have paid me.

On the other side of the coin, I expect contractors to charge a reasonable rate for their services, and in return I don't expect them to work outside their normal hours, and I pay on time.

If it is an emergency and outside normal hours I expect to pay over and above the normal rate for that.

What I don't expect is to be ripped off/overcharged/underserviced as a customer, or ripped off/underappreciated/treated like a piece of disposable machinery by an employer/client.

In my book it comes down to treating others as you would have them treat you [;)].

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 3 months ago #183027 by max2
I am feeling a bit "sore" at the moment Tigger, so totally over self employment, we just had a customer deduct from their balance owing (which is all down on signed documents) a small sum of money because they consider themselves entitled to a "discount" because they paid when the work was completed, instead of paying "sometime".[:(!]

For the sake of $70 do I make a fuss and appear to be a tight wad? I have sent a reply email to their one advising me of the deduction, but at the end of the day its not worth court time nor mine. I just think it was a dishonourable thing to do.....

More
14 years 3 months ago #183028 by reggit
Agree wholeheartedly, that is a really cheeky thing to do! [:(!]

I would pull them up on it at least by email - and send them a bill showing this amount as outstanding with interest to be charged on it [;)]

The ones we have had in the past under hubby's business who haven't paid on time or have stuffed around have been the ones who have the most money! [:0]

PS the ones I used to love were those who said, when hubby was too busy to do the work during the week or on a Saturday, 'oh we don't mind if you come on a Sunday'!!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 3 months ago #183031 by ccrk9
Send them another bill and add penalty interest - unless there is a prompt payment discount shown on the account they dont have the right to pay less. Advise all unpaid accounts will do to a collection agentcy with a 50% surcharge on it (even if you dont list it).

I had this happen when I was self employed - agreed to a price for a job then the company concerned refused to pay - so I sent them to a collection agency with a fat fee on top, and I didnt hand back some stuff that belonged to them- it didnt offset my costs but it made me feel better.

As to contacters etc working on my place - I expect to be charged reasonably for travel as I'm a little way out, and they always get offered a cuppa and the use of loo and clean up facilities. After hours call outs I expect to be charged accordingly (its normally only the vet I need outside normal hours and our vets here are cheap compared to what I would have to pay in wellington).

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
14 years 3 months ago #183032 by ccrk9

tigger;154875 wrote: Agree wholeheartedly, that is a really cheeky thing to do! [:(!]
I would pull them up on it at least by email - and send them a bill showing this amount as outstanding with interest to be charged on it [;)]

The ones we have had in the past under hubby's business who haven't paid on time or have stuffed around have been the ones who have the most money! [:0]

PS the ones I used to love were those who said, when hubby was too busy to do the work during the week or on a Saturday, 'oh we don't mind if you come on a Sunday'!!

Thats how they get to have so much money :)

More
14 years 3 months ago #183112 by max2
I decided to head out for a while to refresh the head and get some higher elevation clean air into my lungs.... don't feel much better for it, as whilst I was out the roof Hubby was replacing collapsed under him, because an "owner builder" screwed asbestos ridgecapping to the OB made "truss" and as soon as Hubby unscrewed the ridging, the lot came down.... :( it was the only thing holding the "truss" together/up.

He is ok though and no damage to the customers property or car.

Gave our young offsider a fright though as he rode the "wave" on the end. He thought the SOH was going through the roof.

Anyhow last night after I received the email I sent off a reply outlining our written contractual agreement, that is, funds are due on site at the end of work completion, and that we charge commercial interest rates on anything "outstanding".

I haven't received a reply, and so shall look at the bank account tomorrow morning to see if she sent a 2nd transfer after hours. Perhaps I am allowing myself to get knotted up unnecesarily.

A couple of days ago, I received a strange telephone call from her Hubby as that is who we have been dealing with, and this I think is where the problem stems from.

He (being an architect) asked me if he paid us cash, would we take off the GST.
Naturally anyone in business or with a bit of nouse knows I am certainly not going to say yes to this at all, apart from it being illegal, we still have to pay GST on the materials for the job, which are not cheap.

He pointed out he had already paid us a 10% including a GST portion deposit, (der, so what, standard practice and as outlined on our contract if you want us to do the work and in accordance with our trading laws).

He then asked me (the answers are on our signed paperwork mind you) did we take credit cards, to which I answered no, because the merchant fees are too expensive.

He said he would "think" about it and see what was "worthwhile" to him. I thought it really odd, mentioned it to hubby thinking he would see them the next day on site, however the couple "went out" and Hubby finished the job.
She emailed me later that day and asked for a tax invoice (fair enough) which I did and which repeated the sums from the contract. Later on the email explaining the short change came.....[:0]

More
14 years 3 months ago #183116 by max2
Not much surprises me these days, but I will say when it happens, it knocks my socks off that "someone" would think like that....

Being a bleak day, I am looking on the down side of things and trying not to sweat the little things. I think because we have our hopes up for selling the house after relisting it the other week, we are mentally prepared to go and leave this sort of behaviour behind so on the rare occasions something happens, it just reinforces our desire to nick off out of here.

You probably all relate to the feeling already. :p :)

More
14 years 3 months ago #183161 by oskatd
We always pay people on time, what they ask, providing it is reasonable. Sometimes I feel we are the mugs for doing this when half the world isn't, but I'd hate to work for myself and get cheeky blighters doing what that bloke (or blokess) has done. Bloody cheek!

More
14 years 3 months ago #183168 by ccrk9
I had some money saved up towards buying a couple of calves next spring, as we have decided to run a couple of weaners on our little block instead of giving away the grazing. But the ride on packed up and the guys came down in the middle of their busy period (before Christmas) and fixed it - so rather than pay the bill off ,or not pay till we had extra money I used the cash I was saving towards buying calves.

I simply couldnt face not paying on time when they are so good to us even though we have had an account b4. I'm the same with all jobs - if I cant pay for it, unless its an absolute emergency I dont get the work done. If I have to live with the place looking messy or non urgent jobs undone so be it.

More
14 years 3 months ago #183176 by DiDi
swaggie - chin up girl! I understand where your head is at because I am in a similar situation and it is draining and frustrating but worst of all, despite the smiles, it is dam well depressing. The need to move on, the desire to move on and things outside your control holding you back is debilitating.

Do what you have to do with these jerks (and others have given you very good advise - grin) and try to stop sweating the small stuff (not that hubby taking a dive is included) because that is what it is. The big picture is to sell and move and I have my fingers crossed that it will happen for you soon. Heard of visualisation? Every time you feel down, visualise a big red Sold sticker on you For Sale sign! Thoughts are with you.

More
14 years 3 months ago #183180 by max2
OT to my rant, but during the EI problems over here, those who had "shafted" one vet on fees then made o/h telephone calls to the other vets.
No surprise to learn that the vets all speak to each other, and early on in the piece it was sorted who was and wasn't going to be paying their bills promptly..... whilst no vet turned anyone down in needy help, it needs to be "remembered" by some that to get prompt service, they in turn need to be reliable and prompt.

Part of my "what goes around, comes around" theory on life.[8D] At some point these people are going to need us again, and I being like an elephant, have a very long memory for certain names....[}:)]

More
14 years 3 months ago #183183 by max2

DiDi;155033 wrote: swaggie - chin up girl! I understand where your head is at because I am in a similar situation and it is draining and frustrating but worst of all, despite the smiles, it is dam well depressing. The need to move on, the desire to move on and things outside your control holding you back is debilitating.

Do what you have to do with these jerks (and others have given you very good advise - grin) and try to stop sweating the small stuff (not that hubby taking a dive is included) because that is what it is. The big picture is to sell and move and I have my fingers crossed that it will happen for you soon. Heard of visualisation? Every time you feel down, visualise a big red Sold sticker on you For Sale sign! Thoughts are with you.

Many thanks Didi, look forward to having a glass or two with you on the verandah when the final move is made.! :) :D

More
14 years 3 months ago #183219 by DiDi
Looking forward to it.

More
14 years 3 months ago #183284 by max2
Just checked the account this morning, the remaining small balance hasn't been credited at all, despite my reply email stating it was owed....[:(!]

Time to create page: 0.256 seconds