Late afternoon / early evening sun

More
14 years 3 months ago #11814 by Ghilly
Is it just me or do others find the sun irksome at this time of the day?

It drives me nuts, even with sunglasses on. The temperature has usually dropped a couple of degrees so it's more pleasant to get things done but that light gives me a headache. I know it's bad for driving in because of sunstrike, I suppose you could call being bedazzled at this time of the day sunstruck, which is not the same as sunstroke, obviously.

It's hopeless trying to do doggy poop pickup in the back yard. Nine times out of ten the only way I find it is when I stand in it or if I'm walking with my back to the sun.

OOoh I know a good word for it Sunstunned!

(Grumble grumble grumble)

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #182865 by The Kats Place
Never mind Yakut[8D], you can moan about the cold and rain soon, just a couple of months to wait :D

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 3 months ago #182882 by Ghilly
And no doubt I will :D .

I'm a fragile little sook, can't handle the heat and can't handle the cold.[B)][:I]

The medication I'm on can make the eyes photosensitive so maybe that's why the light feels like it's boring into my brain.:eek:

Yakut

More
14 years 3 months ago #182894 by Dream Weaver
Yakut I can completely understand where you are coming from. I have a rare eye condition and the sun affects me greatly. I have very dark prescription glasses and even then its not enough. The brighter it is the less sight I have. The sun can definately cause a headache/migrain, its not nice. I LOVE a full moon, I can look at it and not need glasses, no squinting and there is something soothing about it to the eyes. I like dusk, no direct sun and its abit easier to see to do things outside.

More
14 years 2 months ago #182941 by beedee
Yakut, you are a sensitive little thing.. but yes the dazzle is annoying, but Id rather that, than none at all.. have you tried using polytears to improve things, dry eye syndrome makes seeing difficult in the extremes..
Id suggest the little amps rather than the big bottle then they last for much longer and if you are a scot like me, can get 6 drops out of one amp and the box will last several seasons rather than the month of the bottle

More
14 years 2 months ago #182977 by jeannielea
Sunstunned is a great word! Any other suggestions?

More
14 years 2 months ago #183043 by Gracelands
Well its funny, because I grizzled and grizzled when they announced they were extending daylight savings this year, as I would have to get up in the dark for a month ......... BUT, now its here, I've been loving these lovely fine evenings. Got home last night, the sun was still shining, if was just fab. Didn't do a great deal, but it was just so pleasant. [8D]

Another couple of weeks and I will be getting home in the dark every night......Sigh

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
14 years 2 months ago #183088 by Giddyup
Sounds like some of you howl at the moon! Do you? :D
I hate the heat. I'm at my most laziest at this time of year - you can always warm up - but you can't cool down - unless you are rich and have a fantastic swimming pool :D

15 acres, 9 horses, 7 sheep, 50 chickens, 1 jersey cow, 3 black cats, 1 border/beardie cross, 2 cockateils, several possums and....3 teenagers[}:)]

More
14 years 2 months ago #183089 by Giddyup
OH.. I might add - we live beside the Manawatu river. Great for a refreshing swim until Fonterra got the licence to dump waste water in and the pharmaceutical company UPSTREAM let their wastage go as well... I have to check my family the next morning to make sure they still only have 2 legs and 2 arms...

15 acres, 9 horses, 7 sheep, 50 chickens, 1 jersey cow, 3 black cats, 1 border/beardie cross, 2 cockateils, several possums and....3 teenagers[}:)]

More
14 years 2 months ago #183119 by Dream Weaver
Oh now your talking, a swimming pool not that would be brilliant. I am finding the heat of summer and menopause is NOT a good mix

More
14 years 2 months ago #183123 by Giddyup
God someone told me the other day I'd better start thinking about that. Christ how depressing, now I'm waiting for it to happen and every twinge I get I think here we go!

More
14 years 2 months ago #183128 by sundaysbest
I'm glad we've still got late arvo sun, as soon we won't have jack and my mid week rides will be zilch or near nudda!

Sundays

More
14 years 2 months ago #183149 by The Kats Place
Smilie - its trying to sleep on these hot muggy nights combined with the sweats that is a bummer, because you are knackered for the whole day.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 2 months ago #183301 by Ghilly
Our lounge has ranch sliders on the western side and the late sun just blasts in, in fact, I usually pull the curtains around 1 or 2pm if I'm in. The lounge heats up like a sauna and doesn't cool down until well after dark.

I find if I open the door as far as it will go and pull the curtains we may at least get a slight breeze and the sun doesn't bake everything.
It comes in at such an angle that there are very few areas you won't get sunstunned.

Outside, well it's either work in the shadey bits or squint something chronic.

I used to have a pair of good prescription sun glasses...... I got cocky with them when I was in England and had them resting around the back of my neck where they seemed to stay without too much convincing. I got out of the car at a petrol station, the glasses flung out and landed on the courtyard and a bloke drove up to the pump and drove right over them. It all happened in a split second and that was that. I know have $2 shop jobs which seem to be ok but those sort never seem to fit quite right.

We have a deck out from the ranch sliders but I find I only ever sit out there in the morning when the sun hasn't come around that far.

It has been so hot lately that even at 5pm there is still quite a punch in the sun. Even my sun loving goats have been parking in the shade.

Yakut

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds