laundry detergent

More
14 years 4 months ago #182814 by PHR
Replied by PHR on topic laundry detergent
Hi all, Thanks for the welcomes and advise! and LMAO at phone book loo paper!

I've used ecostore but i have 2 little boys (6 & 3) and living rural means even more dirt thanks mum :) So ecostore just didnt seem to get it out. Other thing is the odour coming from septic tank when i did washing, but maybe i'm still being too much of a townie and doing big loads one after the other. (8kg machine load) Anyway, have brought new generation today so will see how that does.

Thanks again and i look forward to more advise, i'm gonna need it :)

Cheers

Nikki

Nikki

2 labs, 2 barred rocks, 2 rhode island reds, 3 hylines 1 light sussex, 1 light sussex rooster, 2 cats, 1 ewe.:p

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #182823 by Giddyup
Replied by Giddyup on topic laundry detergent
Prob 2 much grey water going in there mate, have you considered diverting grey water to the garden? We chucked a hose on the outlet pipe and diverted it to our fruit trees where the septic tank is.

I notice a smell if I empty the bath. It gurgles up through the hand basin and shower (not out though) and then there's a sewer smell. Dunno what causes this!

I remember being a townie once. It's a learning curve and you do learn through your mistakes but your little ones will benefit heaps!
Then they'll grow up and be farm boys :o) or rich farmers that'll keep you in luxury in your dotage!

15 acres, 9 horses, 7 sheep, 50 chickens, 1 jersey cow, 3 black cats, 1 border/beardie cross, 2 cockateils, several possums and....3 teenagers[}:)]

More
14 years 4 months ago #182905 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic laundry detergent
Might the smell be because the tank needs pumping out? Any idea when (or if) it was done?

More
14 years 4 months ago #182910 by judes
Replied by judes on topic laundry detergent
Hi
I was advised to dispose of a smallish dead animal [:0](i.e. chook, possum etc), as it became available, into the tank, to aid with the workings of decomposition, as soon after tank cleaning as possible. Having said that, I was also told that the tank was as 'healthy' as it could be, and I do nothing special to accommodate that. I use the cheapest detergents, cleaners etc and some cleaners that are fairly potent as I have a shower that is nearly impossible to clean [:(!]!
Having the tank cleaned every 3 yrs is recomended for the average family of 4.

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
14 years 4 months ago #182911 by Telly
Replied by Telly on topic laundry detergent
I have also found that ecostore doesn't shift the dirt on my boys' clothes. I found that the bee stuff works much better.

Goats: 4 boers + 4 kids (all does[:D]), 1 saanen + 2 kids, 1 toggenburg.
Chickens: Barred Rock, Light Sussex, Araucana, pekins
Pigs now in the freezer

• Toni - Northland
14 years 4 months ago #182913 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic laundry detergent

chooky;154526 wrote: ... and baby wipes are not good for septic tanks either . They don't break down at all . Our son is in the 'septic ' business so sees all the business (so to speak ) that goes down the line :D [}:)]. Most cleaning products have a safe for septic tanks note on the label ( if they are of course) .

P.S DO NOT use the phone directory as toilet paper . He once had to go to a gang house to unblock the toilet and that is what they had been using - seems they were up to ' B ' in the directory !! :D [:0]

Well, the silly buggers started at the wrong end of the phone book. We run out of loo paper once when the kids were smaller. We started at the Zeds because I figured we didn't know many people that started with Zed had we occasion to look up someones number. We got to the W's before I remembered to buy proper paper.[xx(]

More
14 years 4 months ago #182916 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic laundry detergent
Giddyup, get a long piece of wood - batten, tree branch or something - lift the mushroom up and poke the wood down it. It will probably hit something solid so keep on pushing and with luck you will hear a satisfying gurgle. That will stop it coming back up through the drainage but is an indication that the tank needs emptied or the outlet it blocked. Most of us forget that what goes in must come out and often the outlet and soakage area gets gummed up with tree roots and grass so check that first if you can find it.

Judes, our council is attempting to enforce ratepayers to have their tanks cleaned every three years under the guise of "for the good of the public health". In fact, a well maintained tank shouldn't need cleaned any more than every 6-7 years.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
14 years 4 months ago #182980 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic laundry detergent
Eco store pure 0xygen whitener will shift most stains and doesn't seem to affect colour. You can use it to soak the things in overnight and then pure it into the wash with the clothes.
And Ronney, that's only if it doesn't need pumping because of flooding due to too much rain!!! I can't believe that was us only 2 winters ago.

More
14 years 4 months ago #182983 by judes
Replied by judes on topic laundry detergent
Ours had a broken pipe that was noticed when it got cleaned for the second time in 18 mths, it is one way to get the plumber to your place in a day [;)] tell him the tank is broken and clean now and he is here like a shot coz he doesn't want to wait till its full to fix it :D .
Our ratepayers asso has done a deal with the tank cleaners for cheaper rates if you get your tank cleaned regularly in their 'off season'. I think it is every 3 years (but can be more or less) and is about 40% cheaper. It works on a list system for the district and is a win win for both contractor and ratepayer. It may pay to check out if you have such a system available coz it is quite a saving. And the contractor rings you when your time is due and asks so you dont have to think about it :) .

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
14 years 4 months ago #183092 by Giddyup
Ronney - we have 3 chambers and a pump - then down the end of the orchard there are 6 sort of pipes with caps on. I think they are breathers attached to soak hoses where the clean water leaches out (apparently you can safely drink this water).

I wouldn't have a clue where to start - also the unit is only 2 years old and we were told that we would never have to clean it.

It was put in 6 months before we bought the farm - we rented it for 18 months prior.

15 acres, 9 horses, 7 sheep, 50 chickens, 1 jersey cow, 3 black cats, 1 border/beardie cross, 2 cockateils, several possums and....3 teenagers[}:)]

More
14 years 4 months ago #183100 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic laundry detergent
Giddyup, my mistake. I was thinking you had the good old fashioned sort - and if you've got stuff bubbling back up through the drains, you'll be wishing you did!

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
14 years 4 months ago #183101 by Giddyup
No it's just the smell I think - haven't got close enough to see. You reckon we should get it cleaned out then?

More
14 years 4 months ago #183190 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic laundry detergent

PHR;154635 wrote: Hi all, Thanks for the welcomes and advise! and LMAO at phone book loo paper!

I've used ecostore but i have 2 little boys (6 & 3) and living rural means even more dirt thanks mum :) So ecostore just didnt seem to get it out. Other thing is the odour coming from septic tank when i did washing, but maybe i'm still being too much of a townie and doing big loads one after the other. (8kg machine load) Anyway, have brought new generation today so will see how that does.

Thanks again and i look forward to more advise, i'm gonna need it :)

Cheers
Nikki

As others have said, divert the grey water.

We have an old septic (assume it goes back to when house built in 1940s) and we use the dishwasher two or three times a week with Finish powder (or what ever is cheap when we shop) and that goes into the septic as does any dish water from hand watering, water from showers and of course the 2 loos. But the washing machine drains thru a pipe out the laundry wall, under a path and comes out in a channel in the veggie garden. Its an old washing machine so not economical on water use so the channel has been dug further and pipes with holes laid so the water drains thru another garden and eventually thru the shelter belt into the paddock.
All the plants look healthy (we use Cold Power) and the septic copes well with the rest of the waste water. We had it emptied 3 years ago when we moved here and havent had a problem appart from the floods of 2006 when the groundwater table was so high the septic was totally submerged.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
14 years 4 months ago #183228 by sod
Replied by sod on topic laundry detergent
Ronney that is the fat trap and you are right it does get blocked and if you clear it things get better

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds