Internet surfing

More
14 years 3 months ago #11739 by kaumea
Internet surfing was created by kaumea
Hi
is there a possibility to find out how long one has been in the internet, something like on the phonebill with time and date and so on?
Where can I get information about this?
thanks
kaumea

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #181726 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Internet surfing
You can have a look through the History in your Internet Browser Kaumea, that's about the only way. It will show a list of the sites you visited, and on which day, but I suspect that isn't what you are looking for.

Internet connections are generally not metered by time on-line anymore (unless you're on a dial-up plan where you pay by the hour). In the dial-up case, there is a Time Connected counter, but it is lost when you disconnect. If that is your situation, I suggest writing down the elapsed time before you disconnect.

All other types of plans are metered by the amount of data you consume, which is accessible via your ISP's Usage Meter.

The Xnet Usage Meter (which I use), shows a graph of the number of megabytes used for each day of the month, with the usage broken down into Local, National and International. Xnet have the best Usage Meter I know of. Most of the others just give you a total for the month to date.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Grant.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 3 months ago #181728 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Internet surfing
I'm on ihug dial-up and can get a history of times on and off and time elapsed online. I pay for unlimited connection, but that data is still available.

More
14 years 3 months ago #181736 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Internet surfing
When I was on Actrix dial-up I could get that info too, by logging onto their website.

With broadband, Compass also have my useage in both time (time I logged in, time I logged out), data used in/out.

Quite interesting, I started off on the 1GB plan and realised after a week I was going to have to increase it. So I upgraded to the 5GB plan and just as well cos my useage from March 1-21st is already 3GB. Blimmin Youtube, it's addictive!

More
14 years 3 months ago #181795 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Internet surfing
e3.net.nz has a time logger on their site, but the sites not friendly to use and the service is crap...

I'm still waiting for telecom to upgrade the exchange for Xnet BBand to come available

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 3 months ago #181836 by kaumea
Replied by kaumea on topic Internet surfing
I'm on dial-up with KOL and there is nothing that says those times.
I was just curious to know how long I was (or my daughter) in the net...say last week or so
Thank you
cheers
kaumea

More
14 years 3 months ago #181838 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Internet surfing
I pay five cents more than you per month and can access that feature! You get what you pay for. [;)] :D Is KOL otherwise a good provider?

More
14 years 3 months ago #182411 by kaumea
Yes it si, I never had any problems with it and it's cheap! Plus now it's even possible to have the homeline with them instead of Telecom!!!

More
14 years 3 months ago #182456 by GrantK

kaumea;153578 wrote: I'm on dial-up with KOL and there is nothing that says those times.
I was just curious to know how long I was (or my daughter) in the net...say last week or so

In that case, I suggest having a snoop through the History as mentioned above. If you right click each item in the list and then select Properties, it will show you the Time and Date when that web site was visited.

More
14 years 3 months ago #182704 by kaumea
Thank you I found it and it's quite interesting to see where and when the net was surfed...

More
14 years 3 months ago #182902 by Istrian
Replied by Istrian on topic Internet surfing
If your system is windows xp or vista then the system keeps a log of all your dialup connection/disconnection dates & times. Right click on MyComputer select manage from the dropdown menu then in event viewer click on system. Scroll through that & you will find all the times the computer established/closed the dialup connection. Depending on your system, you may have up to 2 months logs or more. BTW you will see all sort of information in those logs. Just scroll through them to find the dialup info.

More
14 years 3 months ago #182908 by GrantK

Istrian;154727 wrote: Scroll through that & you will find all the times the computer established/closed the dialup connection... BTW you will see all sort of information in those logs. Just scroll through them to find the dialup info.

Thanks for the tip Istrian, I didn't realise that. There is so much stuff in there I had never bothered looking through it all.

By the look of it, whenever you see an entry with:

Remote Access in the Source column

That is a Dial-up session opening or closing. At least, that's what I see in my Event Log each time I start or finish a session using my Telecom Mobile Broadband card.

More
14 years 3 months ago #182924 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Internet surfing

Kiwi303;153531 wrote:
I'm still waiting for telecom to upgrade the exchange for Xnet BBand to come available

Kiwi, don't hold your breath! We were told 3 YEARS ago that we would have broadband available within 12 months. It's been a long 12 months!

Andrea
Oxford

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds