Computer System

More
16 years 4 months ago #11700 by GBpeter
Computer System was created by GBpeter
:)

If you have an Apple OS put it under Linux

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #181217 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Computer System
I have XP on the desktop, but vista on the laptop, but the poll will only let me vote once....

More
16 years 4 months ago #181239 by GBpeter
Replied by GBpeter on topic Computer System

swaggie;152889 wrote: I have XP on the desktop, but vista on the laptop, but the poll will only let me vote once....

I set it up for multiple voting - I voted Vista and XP ??

More
16 years 4 months ago #181241 by Giddyup
Replied by Giddyup on topic Computer System
We have a network system in the house (6). We all run XP. The master computer has Vista - but when it crashes -a lot of the time, we go back to XP.
Bloody Windows. My son runs Linux - Red Hat

15 acres, 9 horses, 7 sheep, 50 chickens, 1 jersey cow, 3 black cats, 1 border/beardie cross, 2 cockateils, several possums and....3 teenagers[}:)]

More
16 years 4 months ago #181247 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Computer System
Mac OS. Son and DH use Linux.

Andrea
Oxford

More
16 years 4 months ago #181251 by GBpeter
Replied by GBpeter on topic Computer System
Sorry Andrea I have a mental block about Apple :)

More
16 years 4 months ago #181315 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Computer System
XP is by far the best O/S that MS have ever produced.

Vista I do not want to know about.

In the event that MS stop providing Automatic Update support for XP, I will switch to the Linux camp and see how green the grass is over there by that stage. A few years ago I decided to use Red Hat to run with Apache as a web server for internal use on pretty old hardware. No question, Red Hat did the job, and it was still running 7 years later with no patches/updates or any other work done until I decided to shut it down last weekend.

Replaced it with a newer PC running PWS and within hours it had been hacked with some miscreant having placed a file called OWNZ.GIF in the root directory which on closer inspection read: F**K BUSH.

Nice. Apache runs for 7 years with no hiccups at all. Replace with the equivalent MS product and it is defaced within hours [:(!] [:(!] [:(!]

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
16 years 4 months ago #181388 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Computer System

GBpeter;152913 wrote: I set it up for multiple voting - I voted Vista and XP ??

Oh, I ticked one thinking it was a one option and it won't let me re-vote. But you can mentally add another to the Vista option as well...[;)]

More
16 years 4 months ago #181444 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Computer System
what is wtrong with vista please

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
16 years 4 months ago #181463 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Computer System

sod;153130 wrote: what is wtrong with vista please

What is right with it? :p

- Resource hog (it needs at least 2GB of RAM to run at a decent speed)
- Even with 2GB of RAM, it runs quite a bit slower on the same hardware than what XP does
- Boot-up time is around 2 to 3 minutes vs. 25 seconds for XP (on my laptop or desktop)
- Lots of printer drivers are still broken, especially for older printers
- Some software still doesn't run on Vista (the VNC server for one)
- The "benefits" touted by MS for Vista (the wow starts now etc, etc) are mostly just eye-candy
- There are lots of bugs, although the SP1 update which has just been released this month, addresses quite a few issues

I'm a great believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and there is nothing wrong with XP IMO.

I rest my case... :)

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
16 years 4 months ago #181684 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Computer System
Ok ok my one came with vista tough on me I guess

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
16 years 3 months ago #182254 by sundaysbest
Replied by sundaysbest on topic Computer System
XP at work and Vista unfortunately on the laptop... Vista suxor maxor...

Sundays

More
16 years 3 months ago #182389 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Computer System
Not that I'm defending Vista[:I]

It took me three hours to figure out how to become my own system administrator so I could get rid of the incredible amount of "trial" software that came with it that kept interfering with the installation of my old but perfectly adequate software... but now I'm practiced I set it up on my friend's computer in about 30 seconds :D .

You have to go into DOS to create your own system adminstrator login and supposedly it's to stop idiots ruining their computer... but holy crap, making me (a pleb) wander around DOS isn't good, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing! Thank heavens for Google and other frustrated Vista users like myself :D

Now I've been using it for a month and have switched off all its stupid pop-up boxes, it's actually not that bad, although I know I'm obviously not a computer expert, or someone who uses lots of software. I have MS Works, PhotoShop, my editing software and that's it.

I do agree, XP served me well and I don't know why you fix something that ain't broke. But for a simpleton like me, Vista isn't so bad.

Re the start-up time Grant, my old computer took so long to boot up, I could leave it, make toast, butter and jam it, make a coffee and be back just in time to sit down to work :D So you see why I needed a new computer, and why the 1 minute or so I wait for Vista isn't so bad!

Oh, and when I was having problems with my new ISP, I must say its little diagnostic tools were fantastic, I'd have been lost without them.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds