Brass Taps and green stain

More
16 years 3 months ago #11654 by max2
We have brass taps that are supposed to be electroplated or something so they don't tarnish (which they haven't as a rule), however at the joins and on the waterheads of the showers, they have a "green" build up which I am sure is the internal copper pipework reacting to the water.

I tried polishing the taps and spouts today with Brasso, which makes them look lovely, but doesn't shift the "green" build up.

Any cleaning suggestions please that isn't going to destroy the brass finish in the process?

With the house being presented to market this coming easter weekend, I really want it looking spot on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #180727 by jeannielea
I think you are right and its the build up of the copper pipes. We had that problem but I couldn't shift it and eventually did take the surface off the taps. Now we have chrome taps! So sorry not to help - hope someone has an answer.

More
16 years 2 months ago #180735 by Giddyup
Replied by Giddyup on topic Brass Taps and green stain
Swags - I'm sure it's oxidisation - a chemical reaction. Ring a plumbing shop and get advice on what chemical to use

15 acres, 9 horses, 7 sheep, 50 chickens, 1 jersey cow, 3 black cats, 1 border/beardie cross, 2 cockateils, several possums and....3 teenagers[}:)]

More
16 years 2 months ago #180751 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Brass Taps and green stain
Many thanks, that is probably the thing to do Giddyup, just thought I would check in here first....

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds