Bird aviaries

More
14 years 3 months ago #11622 by Giddyup
Bird aviaries was created by Giddyup
Does anyone have aviaries?

We have a young pair of cockateils. They've been in an inside bird cage for about a year til we finally finished our avary last week.
You should have seen them. Talk about agrophobic, they didn't really know how to fly. :D :D
Now, they are looking like they might breed and are spending time checking out the nesting box.[:0]

What, I'm wondering, can we put in there with them in way of other birds?

I'd post a pic of my lovely birds, but can't work out the bloody photobucket![xx(][xx(][xx(]

15 acres, 9 horses, 7 sheep, 50 chickens, 1 jersey cow, 3 black cats, 1 border/beardie cross, 2 cockateils, several possums and....3 teenagers[}:)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #180308 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Bird aviaries
Quails are good..they clean up underneath the cockys, provide eggs and seem to get along fine as there is no competition between them. And baby quails provide hours of 'entertainment' as you frequently try to curtail their sucidal tendencies and try and eliminate possible means of self destruction before they discover them[:I]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
14 years 3 months ago #180312 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Bird aviaries
hi giddyup,

i have had cockateils in an aviary with quail, budgies, finches and bourkes parakeets before. they were no problem, very kind with other birds. the budgies were generally the more troublesome little monkeys!

they are generally pretty easy to breed, but i would avoid other birds that may try to steal the nest box, such as budgies, if you want chicks.

i do like cockateils, they are fun and pretty and easy care! what colours do you have?

More
14 years 3 months ago #180584 by Giddyup
Replied by Giddyup on topic Bird aviaries
Thanks guys! Have some quails on order now, but a bit hesistant on the budgies... the young cockteils (Dick and Fanny!) are grey and yellow. Fanny is speckled. They are showing a lot of interest in the nesting box and are starting to sing!!!!

15 acres, 9 horses, 7 sheep, 50 chickens, 1 jersey cow, 3 black cats, 1 border/beardie cross, 2 cockateils, several possums and....3 teenagers[}:)]

More
14 years 3 months ago #180700 by sundaysbest
Replied by sundaysbest on topic Bird aviaries
Ooooh err - can you post a pic of your aviary!!! Please giddyup, pretty please!
Mr Man and I are thinking of building one for a dove we acquired, who doesn't fly and loves cuddles.. his name is Salmy Salmonella... he's only a baby, so I hope he will grow strong and make good friends with other birdies in our avairy that we build.
Send them to me if you can't photobuckety - I will put up.
Sundays

More
14 years 3 months ago #180728 by Giddyup
I've got some beautiful pics here Sundays... photobuckety doing my head in. What's your email addy?
It's so peaceful to go out there at dusk and listen to the waterfall and the birds.
We built part of the avairy over the fishpond.

More
14 years 3 months ago #180738 by Giddyup
Here are my unfinished aviary pics. I hope I've done it right. Not sure I have! :D

More
14 years 3 months ago #180746 by sundaysbest
Replied by sundaysbest on topic Bird aviaries
Cool shots and nice pond!!! :) I like fishies :)
Your birds look young and remind me of my lovely (now flown away) Drumstick - he was a pied cockateil.

Sundays

More
14 years 3 months ago #180747 by Giddyup
Drumstick? *snort*
They are very young and pretty wee things. Aviary isn't finished yet - but considering it's Project 147 - he's not doing too bad.
Having problems finding the right plants to plant out around the pond though.
Different climate here than down south.
Are you getting more birds then? My sister in law breeds and hand rears exotic birds, so hoping she might throw some he poor relation's way!

More
14 years 3 months ago #180803 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Bird aviaries
hi there,

they look lovely:). the male looks like a normal grey to me, and the female a pearl.

the pond and aviary are lovely too! :)

More
14 years 3 months ago #180929 by Giddyup
Thanks Tonic. It's far from finished though.
These birds are about 12-14 months old approximately. Do you know when they might start making babies? They are showing alot of interest in the nesting box.
Not sure whether to put some straw in there, or put it on the ground where they can pick it up for themselves to line the box.
Keen on getting more birds, but don't want new ones to over run them and put them of egg laying!
Got some quails coming though.
My hubbie put some yabbies in the pond last night that he found fishing. Then the kids refused to get in there to move the fountain in case they got their toes bitten!

More
14 years 2 months ago #184801 by Giddyup
My babies have 3 eggs in their nesting box! I'm so excited! :D :D :D :D
Who knows how long a cockateil egg takes to hatch!

More
14 years 2 months ago #184940 by Valmai
Replied by Valmai on topic Bird aviaries

sundaysbest;152315 wrote: his name is Salmy Salmonella... he's only a baby, so I hope he will grow strong a

With a name like that??? I wish you luck. :D [;)]

Carbon-based biological unit.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds