Irrational (rational?) fear of dentists - HELP!

More
14 years 5 months ago #180106 by Louise W
Arrghhhh! Poor Betenoir :o and as for your 'crackling, ticking sound' Giddyup - God help me!!! LOL

FF, I had thought of hunting down a female dentist in the hopes of sympathy - sounds like that would've been a poor choice too. Maybe I should have a couple of really stiff drinks before I go and just breathe scotch all over the poor man???

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #180123 by Giddyup
Google laser dentistry Lou! I gaurantee it! :D

15 acres, 9 horses, 7 sheep, 50 chickens, 1 jersey cow, 3 black cats, 1 border/beardie cross, 2 cockateils, several possums and....3 teenagers[}:)]

More
14 years 5 months ago #180129 by Jan
Lou I know where you are coming from...oh and the M dentist ...well i dont think he will ever get a medal for his bedside manner. Lady from work just been there and vowed never ever to go back to him..[:0]..bad experience

Anyway i have an utter fear of anything sharp ie needles, so dentists are a arghhh for me to. But i found this dentist who is great. Excellent manner and doesnt make you feel silly and is very sympathetic. AND he is good. As he is an oral surgeon not just a dentist so he is way better. :D Definitely recommend. He is a welsh guy but i wont hold that against him LOL. Anyway i will email you his name address and phone if you like..

Jan

More
14 years 5 months ago #180133 by Kiwi303
feel like flying into nelson to see a dentist? I just stopped at the first dentist sign on the roadside one day and made an appointment, saw them this tues and they guy was good :D I've a return appointment for next tues to have a second cavity filled and x-rays to check the first tooth is still all good, he was getting a bit dubious about the condition of the nerve as he kept drilling deeper to get out the decay. hence the checkup x-ray

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 5 months ago #180144 by sod
Feel very sorry for you as our dentist is good also I have very high pain tolerance so dont have injections will be thinking of you

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 5 months ago #180158 by digby
I have been going to the same dentist for the past 25 years and wouldn't go to anyone else. She is just great and knows what a whimp I am.

In my youth ... I had my wisdom teeth out I nearly carked it and the Dentist had to give me mouth to mouth.

Bye
Digby [:)]

More
14 years 5 months ago #180170 by Louise W

digby;151729 wrote: In my youth ... I had my wisdom teeth out I nearly carked it and the Dentist had to give me mouth to mouth.

You sure know how to fill a gal with confidence Digby [:0] I still have two wisdom teeth to come out ... [xx(]

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

or join us on FACEBOOK

More
14 years 5 months ago #180193 by terralee
GOOD LUCK Lou :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
See all those nice shiney teeth.
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
14 years 5 months ago #180203 by kate
Good luck..you will survive it...just keep saying "It will all be over soon. It will all be over soon. It will all be over soon. It will all be over soon. It will all be over soon. It will all be over soon. It will all be over soon. It will all be over soon. It will all be over soon."

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 5 months ago #180206 by Andrea1
I have a friend who is agoraphobic, and apparently this often goes hand in hand with fear of dental work. She has found a very sympathetic dentist (took her several years!) and she takes a xanax (prescription med) to be able to keep calm during the procedure. The dentist is also very patient (and a female, as that seemed to make a difference).

My son takes a herbal remedy called Be Calm (Thompson's brand, I think), as he gets really wigged out over certain things, and it really calms him down.

Good luck to you, Lou!! I hope the new dentist is a good one. Shame on the one who was so rude and insensitive to you!

Andrea
Oxford

More
14 years 5 months ago #180210 by gemini kiwi
I cracked a back tooth last year, my husband phoned the carterton dental clinic they were fully booked until August I think it was which was months to wait as one of the dentists had left and they hadn't replaced her, a nice Canadian girl. there are NO dentist in the whole of the south wairarapa now, quite pathetic really, there used to be one at the greytown medical centre, walter Zeto from upper Hutt covered that clinic, then the dentist in Carterton covered that , a great guy, forget his name now but he retired, they closed that clinic and the dr's swallowed the space up for other medical practices.
For such an area, you know they promote it as the wine growing region etc and the place for Wellingtonians to spend all their money and their weekends we have no dental service.

My son went to Naenae Dental clinic and my husband took me all the way over their, they fixed my tooth but it cracked a few weeks ago and now I have to have it crowned, i'm going Monday to get the first part of it done, all I can see is $$$$$$$ signs but its a good place and they are all great. I'm not too keen on dentists or the pain either but I keep reminding myself, I survived a twisted bowel after an emergency appendictomy I can get through this with a little help of a chill pill.........or 2. Good luck Lou I'm with you in spirit kiddo.

More
14 years 5 months ago #180214 by BillyTheTractor
I think the really important thing to keep remembering is that the dentist is trying to get YOU out of pain. For the most part he/she isn't the one that had anything to do with the fact that you are suffering, all they're trying to do is help you. They may never even have seen you before in their lives! Another really important thing is to find a dentist that you feel comfortable with, trust and puts you at ease ( not easy if there is little or no choice)

It's strange, as we don't usually go to the doctor hating them! ( and they have needles too!)

Valium, a stiff whisky and prevention !!
Don't put off going, everything will only get worse, and that's not the dentists fault.

Dentists as a profession have one of the highest rates of suicide and depression - wonder if it's cos almost everyone hates them and tells them the second they meet them, I hate dentists. I love dentists :D I married one.

( sorry if this comes across as very biased - I have a much thinner skin than my husband who is the most lovely gentle dentist in the world - honest! his patients like him, they give him hugs after treatment.)

Also if he can be of any help, here and answer questions he will try.

Wee Farm

More
14 years 5 months ago #180216 by gemini kiwi
My husband did studied dentristy at University but packed it in couldn't stand the thought of looking in peoples gob's all day, ...............pity really. Poeple born in the 60's, 70's 80's have much nicer teeth than those born in the 50's, or so it seems to me.

More
14 years 5 months ago #180218 by BillyTheTractor

gemini kiwi;151790 wrote: My husband did studied dentristy at University but packed it in couldn't stand the thought of looking in peoples gob's all day, ...............pity really. Poeple born in the 60's, 70's 80's have much nicer teeth than those born in the 50's, or so it seems to me.

I'm with your husband all the way! When we got here I worked as a dental nurse for a couple of months - seriously the amount of times I was either trying not to gag or had to leave the room was embarassing, and I hate blood so extractions were a no no. It most definitely was not the job for me.

I should also say that we are originally from Scotland. My husband says that the NZ'ers are much more lovely to treat, actually say thank you and seem to really appreciate what you're doing. Obviously I'm not meaning all British people are horrible, of course lots say thank you!

Wee Farm

More
14 years 5 months ago #180247 by Louise W
Just quickly, before I start - Billy, I am ALWAYS nice to my dentists and I know that they are there to make me feel better but some do seem to have a much more businesslike, 'lets just get in and get it done' manner, which makes me really nervous :( Your hubby sounds just perfick for my dental needs :)

However today, I had super experience - Yay! Wonderful young (and very, very easy on the eye) dentist who talked to me, explained everything and was uber gentle. It looks like it may very well just be an infection so I have to keep it very clean for the next couple of weeks and if it does not get better, go back and have the filling replaced with a temporary one. If that sorts it out, all good, if not, then we're looking at root canal/extraction but that is very much worst case scenario and the xray looked good. He was so nice and didn't hurt me once. In fact his very presence seemed to calm the tooth down coz it decided not to hurt while I was there!!!

TALISMAN FARM

or join us on FACEBOOK

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds