Holiday in Canada!!

More
14 years 3 months ago #11591 by jeannielea
I just have to tell everyone that I've just booked tickets to go to Canada in 2 weeks time! I can't believe it. In fact I think a holiday was on my Christmas wish list as there have been possibilities of several nice holidays for the last 2 years but they haven't come off for various reasons. Hubby has a conference in Ottawa and we had hoped to fly to Vancouver and then go by scenic train across Canada to Toronto and up to Ottawa. But at this time year the train days don't fit so we have a few days in Vancouver (when we'll try to get into the Rockies), then a couple of days extra to the conference in Ottawa, then long enough in Toronto to go to Naiagra Falls. It will be just less than 2 weeks but I'm so excited - and to add to it, the money to pay for it was a present.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #179876 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Holiday in Canada!!
Nice one! Canada is one place I have never been and have always wanted to go, so take lots of piccies. How exciting!!

More
14 years 3 months ago #179893 by jen
Replied by jen on topic Holiday in Canada!!
Oh my! It will still be full of snow in Ottawa! Bring some boots!
I'm from Montreal they've had the worst winter anyone can remember.. SO MUCH SNOW! and its still coming! (Ottawa is about 1.5-2 hours drive from there)
If you ice skate you'll want to check out the Rideau Canal:

www.rideau-info.com/canal/images/winter/img-skate1.html

Vancouver should be great though! I was looking recently and there is a day trip you can take into the mountains (Whistler ski field) on a train. Would be worth doing.

www.whistlermountaineer.com/plan_your_journey/schedule_pricing/

If you're a foodie... check out the market .. Granviille Island I think. We found a spot where there was a water taxi that took us across.. too cute.... it the market was awesome (and massive!!) Here it goes:

www.granvilleisland.bc.ca/en/node

And be sure to do the Maid of the Mist boat at Niagara! and then kill some more time checking out some of the quirky museums like "Ripley's Believe it or Not"

Have fun! Bring warm clothes though :) and pop into a supermarket and find yourself a tin of real maple syrup to bring home! (usually about $7 for quite a big tin!) (best to do this in Ottawa I think.. else you'll be paying tourist prices ;) !!

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
14 years 3 months ago #179895 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Holiday in Canada!!
That's very exciting Jeannilea :D :D

Web Goddess

More
14 years 3 months ago #179900 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic Holiday in Canada!!
Lucky you !!

More
14 years 3 months ago #179904 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic Holiday in Canada!!
Awesome. Have a great time and like others have said lots of pics to show us. Great oppotunity and make the most of every minute.

More
14 years 3 months ago #179908 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Holiday in Canada!!
I am so jealous! My eldest daughter was born in Toronto while we were living there briefly and I would adore to go back but lost track of my very dear friend who made my life there so wonderful. I had to fly back to NZ just after my daughter was born as my Dad was dying and then fly back to sell everything to move back here. Was an incredibly stressful time.

The Canadian people I met were just so wonderfully kind and generous. Have fun but listen to Jen about the cold! It was minus 25 degrees in Toronto when I arrived there, 28 weeks pregnant and I promptly went splat on the ground as I got out of the car! All was well but I took the cold, the snow and ice very seriously after that. Have a wonderful time you lucky lady.

More
14 years 3 months ago #179929 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Holiday in Canada!!
Me jealous very very much so that is a very beautiful country

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 3 months ago #179930 by Louise W
Replied by Louise W on topic Holiday in Canada!!
How exciting!!!!

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK

More
14 years 3 months ago #179944 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Holiday in Canada!!
Jeannielea

Spent over a month in Canada found western Canada fantastic, Banff, Lake Louise, Whistler etc. Did a lot of train rides, nothing in NZ gets near it (including the Alphine scenic from Ch Ch) wide gauge rails (smooth) awesome meals and service. Try to get to Vancouver Island. Victoria City must be one of the best around.

Flew from Calgary to Toronto. Day trip to Niagara needed. But the west was the best by far. Send Hubby to Ottawa for the conference and spend a bit more time in the Rockies :D :D

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
14 years 3 months ago #179972 by jen
Replied by jen on topic Holiday in Canada!!
Toronto.. (umm.. I hope I don't offend anyone).. is crap in terms of a tourist destination...no character! It just unfortunately happens to be the main airport hub on the eastern side of Canada. Frankly if you had the option, Montreal and Quebec City are infinitely more interesting (and prettier) must be the french influence. Toronto is just sprawl and office blocks and cookie-cutter subdivisions. I imagine kiwis would like Ottawa though.. Decent pace but not too full on, everything you need without all the fuss.. I always liken it a bit to Chch actually.

If you have the time, you can get a quick train from Ottawa to Montreal (look up VIA Rail), you can see the old port and Old Montreal or if you're a shopper check out the underground shopping malls downtown!

When you're in Ottawa there's bridge somewhere not very far out of downtown that you can cross and you'd' be in Quebec :)
Be warned.. there is GST on top of anything you buy in Canada (ie: prices on tags excl. gst) and don't forget to tip 15% at the restaurants!

(Sorry .. I'm from Montreal so I'm biased! The Toronto-Montreal thing is a bit like the AKL vs.CHC thing or the NZ vs. Oz thing!)

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
14 years 3 months ago #180019 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Holiday in Canada!!
Thanks for the ideas. I've been watching the weather and am a bit concerned about how cold it will be. but the sites also say the Rideau Canal is closed for skating so I'm not sure if that's the end of season or not. Unfortunately being at the end of winter means the trains for the Rockies don't go every day and the days don't suit when we'll be there. But we'll be looking at all possibilities once we arrive. We have booked a day trip to Niagara and that's about all we'll have time for but Maid of the Mist won't be going so it will be under the falls instead. And Jen its Maple month in Ottawa so I'm hopeful we will at least get a taste. Thanks for the site suggestions too.

More
14 years 3 months ago #180186 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic Holiday in Canada!!
You will love all of it. We have had our holidays there twice now and I would go again in a heart beat. Once to toronto and once to vancover (plus rocky mountain train for 10 days in autumn). People are great, food was great, accommodation was excellent, so much to see and so. Have a wonderfull time.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds