Hints on healthy eating

More
15 years 11 months ago #11577 by reggit
...following on from the weight loss support thread, I've just finished a book by Michael Pollan, author of "Omnivore's Dilemma", called "In Defence of Food: the myth of nutrition and the pleasures of eating".

Its basically about getting away from what he calls 'nutritionism' (trying to find which particular components of food eg omega 3, fats, etc) cause good or bad health, and trying to go back to a healthier diet overall rather than processed foods.

He had some nifty eating guidelines that I really liked. They are:

WHAT TO EAT

Don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognise as food - get away from the concept of processed foods that kicked in around the time of our grandparents, and go back to 'real' foods.

Avoid food products containing ingredients that are (a) unfamiliar (b) unpronounceable (c) more than five in number - referring to highly processed foods with lots of additives

Avoid food products that make health claims - they are usually processed foods with stuff added to replace stuff that processing has destroyed!

Shop around the outside of the supermarket and avoid the centre aisles - outside areas have the 'real' food, the centre aisles tend to have the processed stuff.

Get out of the supermarket wherever possible - use local markets

Eat mostly plants and mainly leaves

You are what you eat eats too! - make sure you are aware of the diet of the animals you eat

HOW TO EAT

Pay More, Eat Less - get away from cheap processed foods and eat whole foods (ie non-processed foods) more.

Eat Meals - as in, proper meals, not eat and runs, snacks instead of meals etc

Do all your eating at a table - eating needs to become an experience again rather than a quick necessity

Try not to eat alone - as above, placing meals back into a social structure and culture

Don't get your fuel from the same place your car does - ie stop convenience shopping at places that sell high energy, empty calory foods.

Consult your gut - stop eating when you are full! Takes 20 minutes for your fullness feeling to kick in, which is where slowing down when eating matters so you can take notice of your body's feedback to your brain!

Eat slowly - enjoy your food. See 20 minute comment above!

Cook, and if you can, plant a garden - start taking a bit of control of your food and what goes into your body.

As you can see, it is done with some humour and obviously a lot more explanation around each one, but I found it a very good read about getting back to basics, bringing food back into a community and household context, and enjoying it for its own sake and the sake of our health :)

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #179682 by Kiwismum
Replied by Kiwismum on topic Hints on healthy eating
Seems to be the way to go really.

In fact, I grew up eating in this way and never had a weight problem. In fact was probably too thin but ate heaps.

Then I met Hubby - the junk food king and it has all been down hill since then

However, left to my own devices I do tend to go back to plain own homegrown and home cooked, its the best.

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
A person only gains light
by bringing light into another's life
www.dreamforthree.co.nz/

More
15 years 11 months ago #179721 by The Kats Place
this needs to be pasted on to the diet thread as well

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

• maggies mum
15 years 11 months ago #179727 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Hints on healthy eating
Also:

Eat your meals off smaller plates, it makes your meals look bigger
Never go shopping when you are hungry
Put your knife and fork down between mouthfuls, don't pick them up until you've chewed and swallowed your food (helps with the 20 minute thing)
Eat plenty high fibre, what goes in must come out!! ;)
Drink plenty of water with your meals, it fills you up

More
15 years 11 months ago #179747 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Hints on healthy eating
My grandmother drank wine...I'm sure of it :D So I can :D :D

Web Goddess

More
15 years 11 months ago #179751 by Dream Weaver
My Grandmother drank Brandy apparrently lol she used to say purely for medicinal purposes!!

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds