Bye bye Bill....

More
14 years 3 months ago #11497 by kate
Bye bye Bill.... was created by kate
He was born on 1st September 2006 in a howling gale and lashing rain at 2am and with assistance from the vet [B)] He presented upside-down and back-to-front and was a big calf. Later that day Jo went down with milk fever and I thought we would lose her [B)] :( Luckily, both cow and calf lived to tell the tale.

Despite his inauspicious beginnings, he grew to a big strong lad and apart from a kick on the kneecap when I was trying to catch him so the vet could castrate him, he has been no trouble at all [8D][8D]

Today he was weaned [:I], separated from his little herd for the first time and has gone to live on the farm next door for 28 days [:0]. Then he'll be the most wonderful homekill for them.

This is Jo and Bill six months ago

It was his destiny ever since he was born, so why I am so sad? I think it's because I can hear Jo calling for him...

I like angoras 'cos this doesn't happen.

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #178202 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Bye bye Bill....
At last! That has to be the most extended calf period ever! It's hard, whenever you do it. Just don't go all clucky and think about doing it again. [;)]

More
14 years 3 months ago #178218 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Bye bye Bill....
Wots the bet he is back with his mommy within a few days.. that bonding to that, may I say it, LARGE udder, will be greater than any fence..
Yes sad, but hey a great life he has had..and he dies with a purpose, we just snuff it, and always at the wrong time:rolleyes:

More
14 years 3 months ago #178247 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic Bye bye Bill....
:( :( Awww sad

More
14 years 3 months ago #178250 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Bye bye Bill....
Poor Bill. Poor Jo... but he's going to a good cause, and he won't know a thing.

More
14 years 3 months ago #178254 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Bye bye Bill....

Isla;149616 wrote: At last! That has to be the most extended calf period ever! It's hard, whenever you do it. Just don't go all clucky and think about doing it again. [;)]

In another three days this calf period will be exceeded by Sophy's heifer Jill who was born on the 4th of September 2006 and is still not weaned [:I] As she is a heifer she has a brighter (and much longer) future than Bill [8D] I don't go clucky...except with goats...and it is definitely the end of Jo's career as a mother [}:)] She's had too many problem births [xx(]

beedee;149634 wrote: Wots the bet he is back with his mommy within a few days.. that bonding to that, may I say it, LARGE udder, will be greater than any fence..
Yes sad, but hey a great life he has had..and he dies with a purpose, we just snuff it, and always at the wrong time:rolleyes:

Luckily the farm has over 900 acres so they can put him a long way away...although I can hear Jo very clearly from here and sound travels up here [B)][B)]

smilie;149664 wrote: :( :( Awww sad

It is...he's such a big softie :)

Now, surely I don't need to worry about mastitis with Jo do I?

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 3 months ago #178256 by kate

Pumpkingirl;149667 wrote: Poor Bill. Poor Jo... but he's going to a good cause, and he won't know a thing.

I know - I'd be fine if only she'd stop calling to him [B)] :(

Web Goddess

More
14 years 3 months ago #178260 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Bye bye Bill....
When I had a persistent 'caller' of a cow (3 weeks and no let off!) I took her for a walk around the edges of the farm and into all the areas she wasn't usually allowed to go. (garden/bush reserve etc[:I]) seemed to settle her down once she had looked everywhere whe could see..might be worth a try..otherwise a good pair of ear defenders :p

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
14 years 3 months ago #178262 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Bye bye Bill....

Kate;149671 wrote: Now, surely I don't need to worry about mastitis with Jo do I?

Of course you do, it's Jo! [}:)]

More
14 years 3 months ago #178284 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Bye bye Bill....
Probably why I have never eaten anything that was raised on my properties over 20+ years. Having said that, I used to tame and bond big time with the wild youngsters that we bought in and then moved on to another property we had. When one was sent to homekill, I'd happily eat it on condition no one ever told me which one it was! Pathetic to most but that is me.

More
14 years 3 months ago #178299 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Bye bye Bill....
Poor Kate ,,,.it never gets easier :(
well maybe just a little bit with that first mouthful[}:)]
He had an awesome life which you will celebrate in his ..after life[^]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

• Trish Phelvin
14 years 3 months ago #179087 by Trish Phelvin
Replied by Trish Phelvin on topic Bye bye Bill....
[:I]Just started on my first home killed pet lamb. Pretending it came from the supermarket but its not helping. . It will be a while befor I can graduate to something as big as a beef beast.Trish

More
14 years 3 months ago #179088 by kate
We wont eat Bill...we don't have a freezer so it's never been possible to eat our own livestock....which is just as well I think [:I]

I've been told Trish that it gets easier...

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 3 months ago #179095 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Bye bye Bill....
I've had no problem eating Burger at all! He is so nice and tender with a great texture. It was the purpose we got him for, he lived a happy life with friends and lots to eat and died quickly whilst still in his prime. Why be sad??? (mind you, saying that, I was a bit sad the day he went, luckily I was at work at the time)

More
14 years 3 months ago #179100 by Valmai
Replied by Valmai on topic Bye bye Bill....
OMG! I saw the title and thought it was Ronnie's Bill!

Carbon-based biological unit.

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds