Digital Cameras, again.

More
14 years 3 months ago #11477 by Isla
Digital Cameras, again. was created by Isla
The last thread on this was over three months ago - the stated time for vast turnarounds in technology! What's hot, what have people been using and liked? My present camera is giving up the ghost and I have need of one constantly on my belt. Thus it must have reasonable portability, although some bulk is not a problem, good zoom ... and everything else anyone might think I might like. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #177871 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Digital Cameras, again.

Isla;149261 wrote: The last thread on this was over three months ago - the stated time for vast turnarounds in technology! What's hot, what have people been using and liked? My present camera is giving up the ghost and I have need of one constantly on my belt. Thus it must have reasonable portability, although some bulk is not a problem, good zoom ... and everything else anyone might think I might like. :)

Hi there Isla, how are things up your way?

We're stuck in Auckland at the moment, having finally got our house past its last building inspection [^] and with various other things going on at present.

I have had a Canon IXUS 950IS for the past few months and have been really impressed with it:

www.canon.co.nz/products/cameras/digital...igitalixus950IS.aspx

Zoom is 4X which keeps it very compact, but if that's not enough for you, then check out this one which has 10X zoom:

www.canon.co.nz/products/cameras/digital...owershotsx100is.aspx

After having had a Sony and then a couple of Fujifilm digital cameras, I am quite struck with the Canon range. Both of the models above have Optical Image Stabilisation which really helps with shooting in low-light situations when you don't want to use a flash e.g. with newborn animals inside pens or under trees etc.

My 2c worth anyway :)

Cheers,
Grant.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 3 months ago #177878 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Digital Cameras, again.
Hi Ive just Fujifilm s8000 18zoom 8mp:confused: easy use as its the first one we have ever had it has image stabilistion and takes good photos even for me who knows not a thing about them :D

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 3 months ago #177884 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Digital Cameras, again.
This camera is what Kim uses. The guy offered it to Kim who knew someone who was looking for a good camera but they have a lot on their plate at the moment so declined the offer. In Kims opinion, it is a very good camera and at a really good deal. It comes with all the whistles and bells and the original box. He has got himself the next model up and would like to keep this one but needs to pay off the new one. It's six months old and taken about 10,000 shots. The guy is a photographer so has taken good care of it.
The only thing is, it might be a bit big for what you're looking for.

www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photograph...uction-143884701.htm

Yakut

More
14 years 3 months ago #177893 by GrantK

Yakut;149279 wrote: This camera is what Kim uses....The only thing is, it might be a bit big for what you're looking for.

www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photograph...uction-143884701.htm

That's a Canon EOS 400D and YES, they are a very nice camera. My brother-in-law has one and I've had a good look at it. I would have to agree that it is pretty big compared to most cameras these days. If you want a large lens (with low F numbers i.e. higher sensitivity) that is the price you have to pay.

The only thing is that being a DSLR, you can't take video clips and you also cannot take pictures by watching the LCD on the back. Instead, you have to use the viewfinder. My brother-in-law found that he could not get the horizon exactly level on the final picture, even though it looked that way on the viewfinder. Obviously there is some trick to using it, but he did not discover it, even after taking several thousand pictures during a recent trip to Paris. Or maybe something was mis-aligned somewhere?

For myself, I like to see exactly what I am getting on the big LCD rather than needing to use a viewfinder. But it is occasionally useful to have the viewfinder as well, just in case the sun is shining directly from behind you.

My IXUS 950IS has an optical viewfinder, but the SX 100IS doesn't. There is a similar model called S5 IS which has an electronic viewfinder if that is important to you, and it also has 12X zoom:

www.canon.co.nz/products/cameras/digital...s/powershots5is.aspx

So many choices, it's hard to decide :confused:

More
14 years 3 months ago #177906 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Digital Cameras, again.
I have the Canon EOS 300D and as Grant says, it's big, heavy, bulky and a general pain in the butt, and you can't use the screen as a viewfinder.

It does have every fantastic setting under the sun though, plus good zoom etc.

We had some small zoom cameras at my old work and they were great, small enough to put in your bag (not quite your pocket, but fairly small, you could easily hang one off your belt for example). Although they weren't massive in the megapixel stakes, they were great, certainly for any magazine work :D because you could shoot raw files.

More
14 years 3 months ago #177909 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Digital Cameras, again.
The camera that accomanies me constantly is a kodak easyshare c743. Its got 3x optical zoom and takes 7 megapixel shots so you can zoom in further later on the computer. Its compact enought to live in my pocket and takes reasonably good pics. It is small enough to fit in a sandwich bag for wet weather photos. No where near as 'good' as an SLR but its so hand and 'good enough' for taking the sort of pics where you just want a handy camera

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
14 years 3 months ago #177913 by Pumpkingirl
Oh, I forgot to mention I have some info from Consumer on good quality small digital zoom cameras, I'll email it to you :D Might help in your decisions.

More
14 years 3 months ago #177948 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Digital Cameras, again.
What a great start! Thank you all for that. The current camera has only been around for just over 2.5 years, which is not quite as long as I'd have hoped, but since my photos sometimes earn me a bit of money these days, I can justify an upgrade, hopefully before this one completely crashes. I shall have to do some reading and thinking.

More
14 years 3 months ago #177950 by Pumpkingirl
And excellent photos they are too :D

One of your photos has been used 3/4 page just this week :D and it looks great, so whatever megapixels you have at the moment, is doing really well.

More
14 years 3 months ago #177952 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Digital Cameras, again.
I'll be able to afford an even flashier camera then! [;)]

More
14 years 3 months ago #177954 by Louise W
Replied by Louise W on topic Digital Cameras, again.
I want to upgrade in the next 12 months as photography is quite a serious hobby of mine and I have been quite successful in an amateur sense with my photos and would like to take my photography further. I am going to look at Canon when I go to my next camera.

But, I have been using a Fuji Finepix S5500 for the past 15 months and I really love it and cannot recommend it enough (although the model I use is probably considered well out of date by now!). I am rarely seen without my camera and I don't find it at all awkward or bulky to carry around and it takes photos that are good enough to win competitions. It has a 10x optical zoom and is very easy to operate so perhaps have a look at what the latest finepix offer?

Good luck - I will have to save for another year at least before I can afford to replace mine.

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK

More
14 years 3 months ago #177957 by GrantK
Calling all Digital Camera Geeks: This is the definitive web site:

www.dpreview.com/

Any digital camera that has ever been made you will find listed there, and in most cases there are extremely detailed reviews.

Highly recommended to anyone interested in Digital Cameras :D

More
14 years 3 months ago #177960 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Digital Cameras, again.
I have a Fuji Finepix Z5fd which does fit in my bag and pocket. I have been really happy with the photos I am getting off it (showjumping on sportsmode with steady shot and goodness knows what else - haven't had time to explore) but will say I am not impressed with it's low light mode. Mind as said, I haven't even read the manual properly - might be as simple as a setting. A professional photographer recommended it to me as the one she has for her everyday photos. Less than $300 now I believe but no doubt there has been an upgrade since I bought mine last year.

One other thing I find really annoying is the screen showing me (as in a mirror) if the sky is very bright. As for my daughters Canon, even with my glasses on I could not see the screen - too small. My penny's worth anyway.

More
14 years 3 months ago #177964 by GrantK

DiDi;149356 wrote: ...As for my daughters Canon, even with my glasses on I could not see the screen - too small. My penny's worth anyway.

It very much depends on the model. This is the Canon I have, and the LCD screen is plenty big enough as you can see:

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds