2 great dvds to watch

More
14 years 4 months ago #11432 by rob
2 great dvds to watch was created by rob
1. Apocalypto - just great.
2. the passion of the Christ- just blew me away, mans inhumanity to man indeed.

these must be the two most thought provoking movies i have ever seen.

anyone agree?

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #177331 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic 2 great dvds to watch
Every time someone mentions the phrase 'thought provoking' I always come back to the same film ...Schindlers list. Not just because of the plot but also the way it was filmed. The transition from black and white to colour with the red coat being the only coloured item in the b/w shots was real cinematography

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
14 years 4 months ago #177349 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic 2 great dvds to watch

betenoir;148681 wrote: Every time someone mentions the phrase 'thought provoking' I always come back to the same film ...Schindlers list. Not just because of the plot but also the way it was filmed. The transition from black and white to colour with the red coat being the only coloured item in the b/w shots was real cinematography

I concur, but for a different reason. My Grandad went to war and ended up flying Spitfires, all very dangerous I know. But if he's signed up to the army (as he originally intended), he'd have been on the ground fighting.

When I watched Schindler's List, it occurred to me for the first time that my loving, caring, sweet Grandad would have had to have picked up a gun and shot someone, or something else equally heinous, just to survive. I know it's silly, but it never had never occurred to me before then.

Being a pilot, he was somewhat removed from full-frontal death in battles, because he was in a plane.

Watching that movie made me feel sick, and yet it's the most powerful movie I've ever seen. When they melted the gold from their fillings to make him that ring... wow.

More
14 years 4 months ago #177350 by betenoir
Thats probably part of why I relate to that film...comimg from a 'forces family that goes back several generations, and from living in the only oart of the Uk that was occupied by the germans during wwII

More
14 years 3 months ago #177431 by lady yank
Replied by lady yank on topic 2 great dvds to watch
I agree, Rob. I liked Apocalyto very much. I thought the cinematography was beautiful. As for Passion of the Christ, I found it difficult to watch. I found the flogging scene very difficult to watch. I had a lump in my throat and had to turn away to keep myself from crying. You are right....man's inhumanity to man astonishes me. But it was a movie well worth watching.

Don't make me release the flying monkeys!

More
14 years 3 months ago #177448 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic 2 great dvds to watch
Gallipoli...

the final scene as they charge and fall in the mud as the bullets fly is a dramatic climax to the film. as provoking as schindlers list, but in a different way.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

• maggies mum
14 years 3 months ago #177474 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic 2 great dvds to watch
I've only ever watched Schindlers list once, I found it one of the most upsetting films I've ever seen I was bawling my eyes out for ages afterwards.
Another film Saving Private Ryan upset both BD & me.

PS Has anyone been in a Schindlers lift?? I couldn't get over that one!

More
14 years 3 months ago #177495 by rob
Replied by rob on topic 2 great dvds to watch
the flogging scene was distressful, whether you believe or not, it was still dreadful.
i watched another movie about bobby Kennedy and he was a man away ahead of his time in thought and ideas.
what a total waste and not forgetting JFK,martin Luther king.
i wonder if we will really find out who was really behind those killings, i doubt it
you can look right through history and see how barbaric mankind really is and they say we are the most advanced species, somehow i don't think so.
i don't want to put a downer on things but you must start to wonder about the future of the human race.

Rob

• maggies mum
14 years 3 months ago #177501 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic 2 great dvds to watch
[attach]179[/attach]

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
14 years 3 months ago #177533 by witheze
Replied by witheze on topic 2 great dvds to watch
I avoid being distressed by movies, so have not seen any of the above. However I recorded The Constant Gardener during the weekend and sat down to watch it today. This movie is not about gardening :( it's a tear jerker. Loved the hero and heroine tho. :)

• Toni - Northland
14 years 3 months ago #177535 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic 2 great dvds to watch
I refuse to watch any violent movies. Can't see the point.

More
14 years 3 months ago #177555 by betenoir
Depends if its gratuitous violence...just for the shock factor. Not my cup of tea personally, but some 'violent' films do have a serious anti violence message. (plenty of violence in Schindlers list but the overriding story line was about rescuing people from the nazis)..just shut your eyes during the gory bits[;)]

More
14 years 3 months ago #177807 by rob
Replied by rob on topic 2 great dvds to watch
heres one to get out, its called bobby, all about bobby kennedy.
Anthony Hopkins, Martin Sheen,sharon stone to name a few.
damn good movie.
another dvd i saw on the weekend was fried green tomatoes, great movie and great actors a real pleasure to watch

Rob

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds