Cow and school kids

More
16 years 2 months ago #11094 by ronnie
Cow and school kids was created by ronnie
ooops, should have been in O/T, sorry. Can one of the mods please shift it.

We managed to delight the local school kids this morning with the antics of our very own steeplechasing cow. Seems she decided the grass is always greener etc etc (although the school grass is way too short to eat)

Had a knock at the door about 8.30 from a local girl to say said cow was on the road. This particular road is a dead end lane which runs between us and the school. The mothers dropping kids off at the school didn't bother to let me know, but anyway......

So off we go to get said madam back into her paddock. She has been so good at not jumping fences for nearly 2 years now, so a bit of a surprise she did so this morning...

Anyway, had an audience of at least 20 kids as I persuaded madam to walk down the road, in front of the kids, to the paddock gate. She did, of course, stop right in front of them. They were lined up outside the school gate all giving various opinions on the matter.

Well, she just stood still (the cow) and refused to budge. One brave child came up and asked if they could all pat the lovely cow, to which I said no. I could just see madam enjoying it for all of 2 seconds then trying to head butt some poor kid into next week. After much pushing and shoving of her back end, the OH walked past her and hey presto, she decided to follow him. I could hear one youngster yelling "kick her up the a**e" So much for the anti violence message they are supposed to be teaching. But I guess that particular child probably came from a dairy farm and was used to such practices

Anyway, got madam back into her rather bare paddock, much to the delight of the gathering crowd. Also heard one young chap proudly telling his mates that I had 6 bulls in my paddock :rolleyes:[:I][:0]
Not sure how he came to that asumption. Last time I looked, there were 8 cows and one steer in my paddock.

One local mother who watched most of the saga mentioned the kids would have a great day at school discussing this mornings events, much like the day one of my cows birthed right in front of most of them at 8.30 in the morning a couple of years ago. That caused much discussion for at least a week, so I am told.

Have since shifted them into a paddock which actually has some green stuff in it. Should keep them happy for a few days. Then will have to look at feeding out.

But it has rained again overnight, so hopefully the autumn grass growth will kick in soon........

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #172245 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Cow and school kids
In some countries they charge an audience for such entertainment Ronnie. :) The biology lesson they had two years ago, would have been priceless and right on cue as well. ;)

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
16 years 2 months ago #172262 by ardnas
Replied by ardnas on topic Cow and school kids

ronnie;143232 wrote: ooops, should have been in O/T, sorry. Can one of the mods please shift it.

We managed to delight the local school kids this morning with the antics of our very own steeplechasing cow. Seems she decided the grass is always greener etc etc (although the school grass is way too short to eat)

Had a knock at the door about 8.30 from a local girl to say said cow was on the road. This particular road is a dead end lane which runs between us and the school. The mothers dropping kids off at the school didn't bother to let me know, but anyway......

So off we go to get said madam back into her paddock. She has been so good at not jumping fences for nearly 2 years now, so a bit of a surprise she did so this morning...

Anyway, had an audience of at least 20 kids as I persuaded madam to walk down the road, in front of the kids, to the paddock gate. She did, of course, stop right in front of them. They were lined up outside the school gate all giving various opinions on the matter.

Well, she just stood still (the cow) and refused to budge. One brave child came up and asked if they could all pat the lovely cow, to which I said no. I could just see madam enjoying it for all of 2 seconds then trying to head butt some poor kid into next week. After much pushing and shoving of her back end, the OH walked past her and hey presto, she decided to follow him. I could hear one youngster yelling "kick her up the a**e" So much for the anti violence message they are supposed to be teaching. But I guess that particular child probably came from a dairy farm and was used to such practices

Anyway, got madam back into her rather bare paddock, much to the delight of the gathering crowd. Also heard one young chap proudly telling his mates that I had 6 bulls in my paddock :rolleyes:[:I][:0]
Not sure how he came to that asumption. Last time I looked, there were 8 cows and one steer in my paddock.

One local mother who watched most of the saga mentioned the kids would have a great day at school discussing this mornings events, much like the day one of my cows birthed right in front of most of them at 8.30 in the morning a couple of years ago. That caused much discussion for at least a week, so I am told.

Have since shifted them into a paddock which actually has some green stuff in it. Should keep them happy for a few days. Then will have to look at feeding out.

But it has rained again overnight, so hopefully the autumn grass growth will kick in soon........

I love the way you express yourself! Hey, why don't you put this in the new blog section? :D [8D]

Hey, even better, why don't you do a blog? You tell a great yarn! :D :D [8D][8D]

More
16 years 2 months ago #172317 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic Cow and school kids
Well sounds like the cow made the kids day, so it wasn't all bad lol, said cow may have enjoyed all the attention to.

More
16 years 2 months ago #172318 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Cow and school kids
Just priceless :D . The birth bit reminded me of our lambs this year, we had so many people visit cos their kids wanted to see the lambs, and I found myself several times explaining what the afterbirths were to grossed out but fascinated kiddies while their mums just went red in the face and left me to it [}:)]

I particularly liked telling the kids that were inside one of those when they were in their mums too [:0] :D

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

• maggies mum
16 years 2 months ago #172324 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Cow and school kids
I keep chuckling to myself over the "Kick her up the a***" comment!

Little sod! :)

More
16 years 2 months ago #172346 by Kalmara
Replied by Kalmara on topic Cow and school kids
Tis very interesting living next to a school, we were fencing one day when the "little darlings" were out in the ajoining field having a practise for the upcoming crosscountry. A very loud voice shouted "look the pigs are dead" (actually they were sleeping !) about 20 kids gathered at the fence to have a look at the "dead" pigs, with much discussion on what should happen to the pigs now, ( you don't want to know some of the suggestions !) when Eric, disturbed by all the noise sat up, "arising from the dead" as it were, never seen a bunch of kids move away so fast.

More
16 years 2 months ago #172398 by ardnas
Replied by ardnas on topic Cow and school kids
Kids are soooooooooooo funny eh?! :D

• maggies mum
16 years 2 months ago #172411 by maggies mum
Funny haha or funny peculiar?

Yeah they're good fun!

More
16 years 2 months ago #172472 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Cow and school kids
As long as they've been brought properly. The other ones can be horrid.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
16 years 2 months ago #172473 by reggit

Inger;143473 wrote: As long as they've been brought properly. The other ones can be horrid.

Prepackaged with hands tied to their sides and a harness on them to control sudden movements, you mean? [}:)] :D

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

• Toni - Northland
16 years 2 months ago #172505 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Cow and school kids

maggies mum;143321 wrote: I keep chuckling to myself over the "Kick her up the a***" comment!
:)

That's just what mine would have said.

• maggies mum
16 years 2 months ago #172544 by maggies mum
I know you shouldn't laugh but kids are funny when they swear! lol

MD was 2 yrs old and washing up at nanny & grandads on a Sunday after lunch and he dropped something back into the sick, BOLL**KS he said!, Pardon said nanny, grandad had to exit rather sharpish ;) BOLL**Ks he said again! Oh said nanny, who says that in your house? My Dad, he says all the time!!!

He didn't as it happens it was more likely to be me!

More
16 years 2 months ago #172546 by reggit

maggies mum;143555 wrote: he dropped something back into the sick

I think I'd be swearing too! [xx(][}:)]

• maggies mum
16 years 2 months ago #172550 by maggies mum
[:0][:0][:0][:0]

Oops!

It's SINK! :rolleyes:

:D :D :D :D :D

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds