Hi From Geraldine

More
1 year 7 months ago #557570 by Scott Free
Hi From Geraldine was created by Scott Free
Hi all, my wife and I have purchased 15 acres of flat land just out of Geraldine near Woodbury. I am a plumber/drainlayer but grew up on a family farm and did dairying for a number of years and we have finally managed to get out of the rat race and back to the land. We are looking to run a few sheep and beefies and vegetables/orchard. The property already has 3 or 4 sheds on it - one is 150m2 pole shed closed in - which will be the man cave - the idea is to move onto the property and get a lay of the land before we build something to live in - we purchased a 38m2 tiny house which is a pretty cool idea to camp in meantime.

I already purchased a David Brown 995 front end loader with bale forks and bucket, tractor tray and also a Kuhn haymower with topping skids - will keep an eye out for a post hole borer. My motto is you can never have too many tools :)

Cheers
Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #557573 by Hertz Donut
Replied by Hertz Donut on topic Hi From Geraldine

My motto is you can never have too many tools :)

I like you already!

Sounds like you have a decent setup and background, welcome.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott Free

More
1 year 7 months ago #557574 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Hi From Geraldine
Hi Scott, welcome to the forum, we are short of drainlayers on here! Perfect that you have the tractor, with a post hole borer you need about 30cm diameter otherwise you don't have room to ram the post in. I have a Fergie one for my tractor and it has been so useful, especially when planting trees. It's a bit of a mission to fit the thing on the back of the tractor though. The forks are very useful as you can keep all your junk on pallets and then when the boss orders you to "tidy that mess up" you can just move it behind the shed out of sight! Now is a good time to get some trees in the ground, spot spray and use rabbit guards. Mulch does wonders for new plantings, so you should add a Hanmay shredder to you list of toys, otherwise you will find that just when you have enough prunings to light a fire, the fire ban comes on. With the shredder, I mulch as I cut so it's nice to see everything being recycled. A battery chainsaw is another tool for your list, it's so handy when you just want to trim something up.
Keep us updated as you go....

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott Free

More
1 year 7 months ago #557575 by Scott Free
Replied by Scott Free on topic Hi From Geraldine
Thanks Tony - yes everyone is looking for either a plumber or drainlayer at the moment.  I was hoping to semi retire when we move at the end of the month but that doesn't look like happening with the shortage of tradies.
I was wondering about the auger size for the fence posts and you answered that for me nicely.What trees would you recommend we plant for shelter and firewood? 

Scott

More
1 year 7 months ago #557576 by Scott Free
Replied by Scott Free on topic Hi From Geraldine
Thanks for the welcome - my wife never complains about my tool collection as I never complain about her horse obsession - so it works well :)

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds