Kiko or Kikonui Goats

More
9 months 5 hours ago #555906 by Robb2156
We are in the process of purchasing a 3 hectare block and want to run some Kiko or kikonui nannies with a Boer Buck. Does anyone know where we can get them in the north Island.
REgards to all.
Robb 2156

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 5 hours ago - 9 months 5 hours ago #555907 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Kiko or Kikonui Goats
I couldn't see any breeders listed on the rare breeds of NZ which you can see here have a read and then check "Directory" There may well be more in the USA than there are here, since the project was abandoned nearly 30 years ago. Good luck in your search.
Now on the subject of Boer goats. If the land you are negotiating is dry though the winter you might be ok for Boers, but i wouldn't recommend them at all if your land will be subject to wet muddy conditions during the winter or you will be asking for trouble with foot-rot. Don't forget, Boers were bred for dry African conditions and that's where they do best. Parts of the South Island suit them due to dry conditions but North Island has many places where winter rain turns the ground into a muddy mess. Only goats I have ever had that were subject to on-going treatment for foot rot, the shell peeling off the hoof, were, goats with various amounts of Boer blood in them. A local man, shot all of his one winter after they all got so bad despite treatment, vet visits etc., that they became crippled.
Please weigh up your new land carefully for its year round environment before you buy into Boers.

And, Welcome to the LSB

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 9 months 5 hours ago by Stikkibeek.

More
9 months 5 hours ago #555908 by Robb2156
Replied by Robb2156 on topic Kiko or Kikonui Goats
Thank you for that, I am looking at the Kiko for its resistance to parasites and foot rot, the only place I can find any are 75% Kiko and 25% boer, so after what you have advised I don't think that they will be fit for purpose as we will be north west of north Island. Thank you

More
9 months 5 hours ago #555909 by Robb2156
Replied by Robb2156 on topic Kiko or Kikonui Goats
Thank you. The only place we have found Kiko, they are 75% kiko and 25% Boer, so from what you have said, they won't be fit for purpose. We wanted Kiko's for their resistance to parasites and footrot. We will be on the north west of the north Island so Boer blood is now a no no. Thank you for your advice, much appreciated.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #555950 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Kiko or Kikonui Goats
Hi Robb. The 'Kiko' brand of goat is a privately owned herd of goats, which were purchased from the original breeder, who formed the 'breed' from an amalgamation of wild goats, over quite a number of years. He sold the herd and the rights to the brand and went overseas.

As far as I know, he came back to NZ some years ago and was recreating a new herd of parasite resistant meat goats, under a new breed name.

If you can get hold of some wild goats from the East Coast of the North Island, you could give it a go as well. If you want to use a Boer, make sure you buy him from a tested parasite resistant herd. There are breeders working on it, but I'm not sure how far they have progressed. Check out the website for Boer Goat breeders and see how their research is going.

Another option is to give the Arapawa Goat a try. They were a feral breed on Arapawa Island that either survived what nature threw at them, or died. So, over the last hundred years, they've built up some good genetics. Check out the Rare Breed NZ Society website for more information.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa
Herd of Registered Dexter cattle
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry and Sicilian Buttercup poultry
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Polled Wiltshire Sheep, both black and white
An old Heading Dog called Lad and a cat called Pusscat,

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds