Fellow deer fawn

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #555600 by Sonyai
Fellow deer fawn was created by Sonyai
Hi
I am new to here.
I have a fellow deer fawn that was born in late March that I have had to hand raise, she is very attached to me and stresses out every time I leave her, she does settle after about 10 mins. She is in my back yard and I work full time so she has had to be by herself most of the time but she seems to have got worse. She now has a goat and a lamb with her which she seems to like but this doesn't seem to have helped to much. I want to be able to move them all up to our 5 acres, I have been taking her up there most days since she was born.
So I am wondering if there is anything I can give her to calm her so she isn't stressing so much?
Look forward to any replies.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #555611 by smudge
Replied by smudge on topic Fellow deer fawn
You would have to register it I believe, but don't worry too much about that, I wouldn't. They are a herd animal and like cattle they need others for company. There are exceptions and your fallow appears to have adopted you as her parent. I've had exactly the same issue with a goose I raised from a couple of hours old. She eventually (after 2 years) realised she was a goose and now has a very loyal and strong relationship with the most eligible gander in the neighbourhood..Mammals are probably not so easily turned though. I have kept 2 cattle on their own and they managed very well, adopting the sheep as their family. Others were just crazy and I wont keep a lone moomoo again.
My advice is to release her. What area are you in? There are a lot of fallow where I live. I do know of one in the same situation as yours that eventually used to come and go as it wanted

More
10 months 1 week ago #555613 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Fellow deer fawn
Deer often leave a very young fawn in a quiet spot while they browse elsewhere, returning, often at dusk/dawn to feed it, and the fawn stays still and quiet and rests. It may be that the getting worse is because now the fawn is old enough and strong enough to follow its mother so leaving it is not the way a mother of an older fawn behaves.

There is some information on distress in weaned fawns on p. 37 of this document, which may be helpful: www.deernz.org/assets/Deer-Hub/Farm-and-..._web_interactive.pdf

(Releasing a young inexperienced animal that is used to humans is not humane, and releasing a deer is illegal.)

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds