Hello

More
11 months 3 days ago #555437 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Hello
I don't think you will ever eradicate gorse unless you adopt a strict spray regime. The seeds remain dormant in the ground for 10 years and will sprout at the least opportunity.
By all means spray and grub and burn, but you will need to hard graze using cattle or pigs. There is a body of opinion that says to use the gorse as a nurse crop to assist tree growth and once the trees provide shade, the gorse will decline.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: RichardF, Rampe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 2 days ago #555453 by Ramsay
Replied by Ramsay on topic Hello
Hi
How are you going to keep your goats off thew new fodder tress until they grow big enough?...the trees that is :
)
Thanks
Richard

More
11 months 2 days ago #555456 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Hello

Hi
How are you going to keep your goats off thew new fodder tress until they grow big enough?...the trees that is :
)
Thanks
Richard

Good question! The trees are 3m poles (poplar and willow) with protective sleeves on. So far the goats are ignoring them :cheer:

Web Goddess

More
11 months 2 days ago #555457 by RichardF
Replied by RichardF on topic Hello
Goats? Who let them in?

More
11 months 2 days ago #555458 by RichardF
Ah, penny has dropped. Not my goats, Kate's goats :)

More
11 months 2 days ago #555460 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hello
My 2 cents worth :-). If you do not own domestic animals you do not need to keep other peoples domestic animals out of your place. The animal owner has to keep their animals in. You actually have to keep your stock in, so if your stock are trees then you have to keep them in, and remove them when they get out. Trees do not respect fences, and when they want to escape they just push the fence over. So it is not worth fencing them in :-). But you may need to keep the feral animals out. You will not be able to fence rabbits or possums out. There is a remote chance that you can fence out feral goats and pigs, but that will be a very expensive exercise because you will need tall posts and wire netting which is fastened to the ground in dips. And it will need to be well maintained.
Before you decide which native plants to obtain, find a local expert that knows which plants grow naturally in your very close area. A couple of years ago our Council got a local expert to check out our native forest areas for their requirements under the Significant Natural Areas legislation. He looked at our areas but did not classify them as significant :-). But he knew that here beech are not native and will not grow, but totara are almost a weed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RichardF

More
11 months 1 day ago #555464 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Hello
If you have goats, then you won't have trees, nor will your neighbours!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
11 months 1 day ago #555465 by linrae
Replied by linrae on topic Hello
Interesting to hear from Richard as to why he would buy this sort of block if not having any experience in lifestyle living.
A more usable block yes but why such rugged piece

More
11 months 1 day ago #555467 by RichardF
Thanks @LongRidge. Being new to this I had not considered the possibility of my trees-to-be escaping so good to know I couldn't have prevented it any way.

I guess that the "keep your own stock in" principle only works if your neighbours actually give a hoot where their stock are, we will see. Ill continue to hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

How much of a problem are feral goats and pigs on the east coast of Northland?

And yes, one more reminder to look around and see whats growing, thanks. Currently there are a bout 6 smallish totaras that decided to stay when the other trees left, and one sapling that looks like a manuka to my as yet untrained eye. But there are other bits of bush around here (incuding a tiny bit on the property) so Ill have a wander in there when I get set up and try to identify what is working.

Cheers
Richard

More
11 months 1 day ago #555468 by RichardF
Hi @linrae

I hope that this block will in time be completely revegetated so animals are not part of my plans, save what I might need to do to get to the point where the block needs little looking after. Its a project for what I hope will be my next ten (and probably the last ten) active years. Fingers crossed. Ultimately my kids and their families will take over and I am very sure they have even less time that me.

And to be completely honest, I don't need the block to be a source of income or food so I don't need it to be more usable. Its not that kind of lifestyle block, much respect to those who do mange to live off these relatively small chunks of land, I don't have those skills. That might make me a bit of fraud on this forum, kind of a weekend lifestyler....???
I have fallen for it because of its location and outlook, plus the fact that the area has very good memories for me.

Cheers
Richard

More
11 months 1 day ago #555469 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Hello
I've always thought (when I win lotto :silly: ) that I would buy a piece of land and re-vegetate it. It would be an interesting project and you would leave something behind that would be of great benefit to the environment. I don't think you need any experience except an open mind, a willingness to take advice, an ability to learn from mistakes and a strong back!

Good luck in your endeavours, and do keep us updated. Many on this site are doing similar things.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
11 months 18 hours ago #555472 by Nora
Replied by Nora on topic Hello

You will not be able to fence rabbits or possums out. There is a remote chance that you can fence out feral goats and pigs, .

What about a fence like Zealandia bird sanctuary have? Lower part under ground, mouse mesh for walls, 6 feet or so high and an upside-down gutter on the top outside edge. Keeps out everything except the birds. If money is not an issue.

More
11 months 7 hours ago #555477 by RichardF
Hi Nora
Money most certainly is an issue. There is only so much. I hope that I don't need that kind of fence as it sounds scary expensive. Time will tell I guess, I dont think I would put something like that in on day 1.

Cheers
Richard

More
11 months 7 hours ago - 11 months 7 hours ago #555478 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Hello
Not everyone on here has livestock. Some of us just have leafstock.;)
Leafstock is definitely easier to deal with as you do not have to manage it much unless you want some sort of production from it.

Ours is 20 ha of mostly native revegetation, so unproductive as far as food for us goes, but productive for native wildlife, with a small orchard and firewood lot for our use rather than income.
The native revegetation is the sort that happens naturally over time: we call it the 30-50-year-plan. As in, gorse and broom replacing grass (that happened long before we got the place because a place this steep was too marginal for pasture farming), then mahoe et al replacing gorse, then a bit more diversity happening as the cover gets taller, and we also supplement with plantings of species that don't seem to be returning much but are local and appropriate for the climate and the micro-conditions, such as moister gullies, drier ridges, shallow or deep soil etc.
It takes a lot of time and money to plant a large area with natives, so we are encouragers rather than front line pioneers doing all the planting. Nature can do a lot with a little help.
We do not have fences that do anything other than mark boundaries, and they cost especially anything that could stand up to goats, pigs, deer or possums.
We need to do more control of possums rats and hares in particular, and monitor and control for weeds that are not going to die back in regenerating bush, like old man's beard and blackberry.

We only remove gorse in areas we do not want natives, such as the house and orchard site, because it provides the shelter the natives need, and then dies off as it gets shaded.
This doesn't happen on our really dry ridges, so we are still working on what the best thing to do there is. Even the gorse and broom has died back every time there is a dry year, and re-establishing native grasses or short bushes like hebe or cottonwood in hardy pasture grasses and weeds has a high failure rate.
Last edit: 11 months 7 hours ago by Hawkspur.

More
11 months 7 hours ago #555479 by RichardF
Thank you that sounds like a similar situation, and roughly the same plan, 30 to 50 years (or as long as it takes) . I don't expect to see the end result and that doesn't bother me as long I have given it a good start.

My place is/was a bare hill that was paddock. The gorse has been sprayed previously but is coming back, no surprises there. I had assumed the neighbours cattle was the biggest threat but I guess that's just because that's all I can see at the moment. Ill have a better idea when I can be there a lot more.

There will be a line in the budget for revegetation, planting etc, I just don't know yet what number I will put there. A few balls are still up in the air.

thanks for your comments, most useful.

Richard

Time to create page: 0.266 seconds