New Kunekune momma

More
1 year 1 month ago #554750 by tdurkee
New Kunekune momma was created by tdurkee
Hello,

I am from Wisconsin, and I am getting my first two Kunekune piglets tomorrow morning. They are coming from a reputable breeder here in Wisconsin. The piglets are sisters and were born on March 26, 2021.I have their shelter/fencing all set up, got their feed and water dishes ready, etc. I feel pretty confident that I am ready for them, but is there anything I may have missed that is a must with Kunekune piglets??

Thanks for your time,
Theresa
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #554755 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic New Kunekune momma
Yes. Don't overfeed them as they have a tendency to get quite large and very fat!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
1 year 1 month ago #554757 by tdurkee
Replied by tdurkee on topic New Kunekune momma
How much should I feed 2 6-wo old piglets per day? They have a grassy paddock to roam as well.

More
1 year 1 month ago #554758 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic New Kunekune momma
they are so cute, but be warned they will grow into huge food consuming beasties! If they have grass and free range they will not get fat, but if you feed scraps the opposite is true. They do not make very good eating but repay with friendship and fun. They will destroy whatever is around them, just by playing. We had a wild cat that used to sleep on top of the Kune Kune and even had her kittens in their hut and it was all ok!
You will get tired of constantly refilling their water trough, no matter how big it is, they will overturn it. Best to set up one of those pig nipple drinkers on a fence post somewhere. Just put their food on the ground as same reason applies. Eventually, I enclosed mine inside four metal farm gates tied together and moved it around from time to time. In the end, they would move it for me!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
1 year 1 month ago #554760 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic New Kunekune momma

tonybaker wrote: They do not make very good eating!

I dunno, Tony - i quite enjoyed the roasts they yielded. A bit fatty, but great flavour.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds