Newbie, fencing advice please

More
1 year 4 months ago #553923 by MiriamD
Hi, I'm so glad I found this group. I recently moved into a 2ha lifestyle block in Northland. I'm slowly figuring it out - alpacas and chickens. Trying to keep it as simple as possible - some veggies and berries.
BUT I have discovered that the neighbours have an electric fence on my side of the boundary fence. It is clearly visible to them that I have had new fencing put in. Although I have been living on the property for 4 months they did not think to tell me that this existed. I thought all the electric fencing was switched off, until a friend got a significant shock off the fence. It abuts an area of garden I am expanding as a vegetable patch.

Can they do this? The local council website refers me to the fencing act.
I don't want children in my garden to be at risk of getting electric shocks

Any advice on how to proceed welcome

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #553924 by MiriamD
Should also add, I sent them a polite message to switch it off and they have declined to do so, stating that the previous owners allowed their stock to push it over and they are not willing to let that happen again.

More
1 year 4 months ago #553925 by linrae
Surely rather than be looking for something here ,
you have been to see them,
If you have had new fencing out in you will have worked to boundary pegs which I PRESUME YOU FOUND BEFORE BUYING THE PROPERTY.
iT PAYS TO GET ON WITH NEIGHBOURS RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING

Just my thoughts

More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #553932 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Newbie, fencing advice please
Firstly, welcome to the forum. Where have you come from to your new block?

What a very interesting issue you have ... I don't quite want to write 'imagined' but it really is something to be quietly sorted out with the people on the other side of the fence! It should not become a problem.

We have a small property on our boundary and during the ownership of one exceptionally troublesome lot of people, we put electric wires along the top, middle and underneath the boundary fence, because they had uncontrolled and lonely bovids who would otherwise jump or crash through ordinary fencing, uncontrolled and stock-worrying canines and were inclined themselves to climb over the fence without our agreement after abusing us over our responses to their uncontrolled animals' disruption to our ordinary farming activities.

When they thankfully moved away, we had conversation with the new people, but only because we made an opportunity to do so.
Sending a message, polite or otherwise, to request a change to how existing infrastructure is operating is really not the way to go about it! Sending an invitation to coffee, or asking if you can come and bring cake and have a chat is a far better approach. That stock have previously pushed the fencing over is a very sound reason for there being electrics on it. Unless you have that talk and tell them what stocking intentions you have, why would their view and practice change? You don't know how many troublesome neighbours they may have already had to deal with and until you show them a friendly, cooperative and considerate approach, you may not get very far.

They might also be bastards.

A further thought on your initial comments,

MiriamD wrote: ...It is clearly visible to them that I have had new fencing put in. Although I have been living on the property for 4 months they did not think to tell me that this existed. I thought all the electric fencing was switched off, until a friend got a significant shock off the fence. It abuts an area of garden I am expanding as a vegetable patch...

You'd be surprised what people don't notice or don't think about when they're going about their own business. Why should they know what you're doing, if you've not even been over to introduce yourself when you've been living there for four months? Time for that batch of biscuits and a cuppa, I reckon.
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Ruth.

More
1 year 4 months ago #553936 by LongRidge
Welcome, and an interesting question.
1. Check that your power unit is turned off. When it is, take a length of metal that will reach from the ground to the wire up to the wire, Lean the metal on the wire and listen for clicks. If no clicks then it is probably not working.
2. Check that the electrified wire has insulators between the wire and attachments. If not then it is not supposed to be live. Thus the live wire is touching the wire that is electrified, somewhere.
3. Talk to the neighbours. If it is their problem and they won't fix it or help you fix it, buy a pair of rubber handled bolt cutters and cut the offending wire at both ends that it is encroachimg on your side of the boundary.

More
1 year 4 months ago #553950 by tonybaker
summarising the facts....
1. previous owner allowed their stock to push over the fence and do some damage
2. neighbours protected their asset by placing a hot wire along the top of the fence to stop stock escaping onto their property
3. new owners rebuilt fence and asked neighbours to remove it or turn off hot wire

if the above is correct, then you have every right to cut the hot wire and remove it, returning it to the neighbours.

Lets hope your alpacas never jump the fence or push through it or they will be returned in casings!

Seriously though, you absolutely need to get on with your neighbours so go over and make amends. As has been said, I am sure they had a lot of trouble with the previous owners who did not have the tenacity to maintain an LSB properly.

I am glad you did not think to ask them for a contribution to the new fencing!!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
1 year 4 months ago #554024 by linrae
Good Morning
Interested in what you have done after getting various comments on your fencing problem .
All sorted hopefully or item removed ????

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds