Auckland, LSB maintenance, startup business.

More
1 year 10 months ago #552546 by lifestyle.block.maintenance
Hi All ( like minded Lifestyle block and AG/ Hort. people.)

I'm Peter.
Karen ( my wife) and I have a 3.5ac lifestyle block in Waimauku AK. We have lived here 15 odd years and have raised calves, chickens and a horse.
We tolerate a few wild rabbits, and love watching the Harrier wild life fly over our piece of heaven on earth complete with weeds in the electric fence.
Karen and I have dug up a few small areas of paddock and had varied success growing different strains of garlic.

I grew up as a child spending many a holiday on family farms, swimming in troughs and walking bare foot behind the dairy cows in the morning on the way to milking.

I spent my life following a Civil engineering career. I made a change to solid wood furniture manufacturing and some kitchen installation briefly , before returning to local government involved with the Resource Management Act as Monitoring Inspector.

The last five years have been involved in managing maintenance of buildings and equipment for a local market garden farmer, along with long seasons in the sun installing and operating portable irrigation pipes.

Although my summers are full on and productive, Winter is another picture. I wish to expand my reach, ( within 10k radius or so.) and use equipment and machinery I have, to start a business to help maintain others properties and encourage small block horticulture.

I am about to send out a market research survey within the district, to gauge need and demand for rural lifestyle block maintenance.

I came across his site by chance, I am looking forward to reading through the Forums and hope to contribute where appropriate, and generate a few subjects of my own.

cheers Peter. "lifestyle.block.maintenance"
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #552551 by tonybaker
good luck Peter, have you tried the Wwoof web site?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
1 year 9 months ago #552556 by max2
I'm not in your area, but your plan sounds ideal. Where I live, a number of folk work well away from their LSB during the (normal) week and really could do with a hand to keep things in check and start new projects. Esp. encouragement to be more self-sufficient!

Go for it I say and wishing you all the best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lifestyle.block.maintenance

More
1 year 9 months ago #552565 by lifestyle.block.maintenance
Hi Tony.
Thanks.
Karen and I are on Wwoof site as cultural exchange hosts.

More
1 year 9 months ago #552566 by lifestyle.block.maintenance
Thanks Max.
I appreciate the positive reassurance and support.
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds