New in the Manawatu

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #551590 by Liv
New in the Manawatu was created by Liv
Heyy everyone, it's great to be part of this community. I have ~4 ha in the Manawatu, bare land, to make something of. As a start, I was wondering if anyone can share general set up costs? Like costs for building 3/4 bay shed, hooking up electrics, septic system, concrete water tank(s). I'd also be interested in suggestions for good people/experiences to help with these things. The general idea is to get going on these fundamentals, and plant some trees as a first step. Then build a house :D

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions!
Cheers, Liv

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #551591 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic New in the Manawatu
Hi And welcome to the site. This might be a good case to let your fingers do the walking and ring around your local area for the costs on water tanks, and sheds, and ring your council for their requirements for septic systems and permits. Once you have some of those estimates in place, try local registered drain layers as they too will have a handle on costs for doing drainage fields, and hook-up costs for council permits. Then, by word of mouth, you could add in any recommended tradesmen.
Draw a plan of where you would build your new house and plan your drive and power feeds and then you can make sure you do not plant trees where they will need to be cut down or moved again. If your land is prone to flooding, or is hilly and prone to slipping, you will need to get some expert help on best place to put roading. If there is not already a legal "crossing" ie an existing gateway onto the road, there will be extra resource consents you will need from council. Earth moving contractors may be able to help here, at least for some ideas. If your new block is only ring fenced, it's also a good time to plan where you will put fences as time, money and importance exists for future plans. Put in your plan a good set of stock yards too. If you are thinking of having livestock of any sort, you will need yards with loading facilities and a vet bale. All this should go on your plan even if it is some time before you actually build anything.
All the best for your new lifestyle.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Liv

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #551599 by Liv
Replied by Liv on topic New in the Manawatu
Thanks! i'm in the process of all of that, yes:) I was more looking for a bit of a ball park figure. I checked posts on this forum and found a couple of similar questions posted, but they were about 8 and 14 years ago, so thought that i'd check in again.
Thanks again, Liv

More
2 years 2 weeks ago - 2 years 2 weeks ago #551737 by RW
Replied by RW on topic New in the Manawatu
Concrete ('fully' buried) tanks - 25000 L = about $4-5k each. We had to put in 2 extra for firefighting purposes.
The plastic tanks run a bit cheaper, but you cant fully bury them either, and i suppose its a preference of the looks/lifetime.

Septic will run you from $20-30k (obviously depending on size, soil, etc.) - mines run me about $30k, for a top of the line for a 4 BR house (In Manawatu). Pretty sure the original (builder spec) one was ~$15k.
I'd suggest getting in touch with Dave Miller for a septic write-up. That gets the crap (excuse the pun) past council and then the builder/installer can do the rest based off his plans

Not sure I can help too much around the rest, but might be able to point you to a builder, depending on how far through you are (but he doesn't do the plans)

Definitely look at planting first, pretty sure there's still a 2-3 year wait on builds (once you take plans/council etc. into account) - just make sure you dont plant where the house might be near. Root issues are a pain, and moving trees aint fun either.
Last edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by RW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Liv

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #551738 by Liv
Replied by Liv on topic New in the Manawatu
awesome, thanks heaps, that's all really helpful. I've been looking at three fully or semi buried concrete tanks - either from Humes or the prison guys. Hope that covers the firefighting needs... Who did you go with? I did look at Dave Miller and will follow up with him. I'm definitely looking for a good builder. Thanks so much again, Liv

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #551739 by RW
Replied by RW on topic New in the Manawatu
Not sure what the business is, was through the builder, for the tanks. Seemed fine though, pretty responsive. Pretty sure he only works for the builder though. My builder was a bit rubbish, hence why I wouldnt use them, but had another that was good, I'll see if i can PM you.

You need 50,000 L for firefighting in rural/semi rural (i believe), so you probably want 4 tanks all up (assuming your going to be using a fair bit of water for yourself

More
2 years 1 week ago #551788 by Geba
Replied by Geba on topic New in the Manawatu
For building your house...
Point it at the sun :) Make it as much of a passive-solar house as you can. Read about how to use thermal mass to absorb and release heat. Put your largest windows on the sun facing side of the house and the smallest windows (or none at all) on the side away from the sun. Keeping your building shape simple (no complicated rooflines or internal wall angles) drastically reduces building costs. Likewise, planning plumbing carefully with good access to external services reduces both initial building costs and any future remedial work in case of broken pipes, floods, earthquakes etc.

I spent *years* reading about all this stuff before the opportunity to build finally came along. My house heats and cools itself and is delightful to live in - and it wasn't expensive to build either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Liv, Jen2020

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds