New Kiwifruit growers

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #551523 by shannz
New Kiwifruit growers was created by shannz
Hi All,

My wife and I have just purchased a ~4ha lifestyle property in Whakamarama, Tauranga. We are pretty excited. The property has 1.5ha of Hayward Green Kiwifruit for supplementary income.

We are certainly new when it comes to Kiwifruit. It's currently conventionally farmed and will consider a conversion to organic one day as that fits with our values. In the short term though we need to observe, learn, and pay the mortgage. That does not mean we can't play and do better in the meantime

Keen to talk to anyone who has done an organic conversion, has played with sheep and poultry under/around kiwifruit to help with the orchard management, has good systems in place to control passion vine hopper.

Looking forward to the adventure.

Shan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #551624 by lisaw
Replied by lisaw on topic New Kiwifruit growers
Hi Shan,

My husband and I were in the same situation as you 5 1/2 yrs ago. We bought a conventional gold orchard in Aongatete [not far from you] and are part-way through the process of changing to organic.

You are more than welcome to make contact with us, as we would love to be able to help you.

Lisa and Beat Wisler
ph 5520020

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #551627 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic New Kiwifruit growers
sheep are great, commonly used in vineyards now. Have you seen this article
I would go for self shedding types such as Dorper or Wiltshire otherwise you will have problems getting a shearer. Easier still is to do a deal with local farmer to graze the orchard after harvest.
Are you able to graft over to golden kiwi?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago #551628 by shannz
Replied by shannz on topic New Kiwifruit growers

lisaw wrote: Hi Shan,

My husband and I were in the same situation as you 5 1/2 yrs ago. We bought a conventional gold orchard in Aongatete [not far from you] and are part-way through the process of changing to organic.

You are more than welcome to make contact with us, as we would love to be able to help you.

Lisa and Beat Wisler
ph 5520020

Thanks for the kind offer. Will give you a bell in a few weeks
Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by shannz.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago #551629 by shannz
Replied by shannz on topic New Kiwifruit growers

tonybaker wrote: sheep are great, commonly used in vineyards now. Have you seen this article
I would go for self shedding types such as Dorper or Wiltshire otherwise you will have problems getting a shearer. Easier still is to do a deal with local farmer to graze the orchard after harvest.
Are you able to graft over to golden kiwi?

Thanks for the info.

We are able to graft over, but that won't be in the near future for us due to cashflow
Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by shannz. Reason: Formating issue

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #551639 by muri
Replied by muri on topic New Kiwifruit growers
Getting organic certification is quite a big process and costly, you may not feel its worthwhile doing for the 1.5 ha. You may find the cost prohibitive in relation to the income from the kiwi fruit. Am not sure what you are gooing to grow etc on the rest of the land you have.
Learning whats required in the standards is a really good starting point and I still farm and garden according to those standards today.
Re sheep, I have small quiet, coloured, shedding sheep that i had in a kiwi fruit orchard over last summer and they did really well so these small sheep work well with kiwi fruit

More
1 year 10 months ago #552323 by Frank54
Replied by Frank54 on topic New Kiwifruit growers
Hi Shan
My name is Eric and I'm new to this site. Are you saying you have a qty of organic fruit you want to get rid off .Please contact me as I am in conversion business Call me on 021074 7741

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds